The 'M' Word

Stella's POV

I have a friend.  Her name is Melina.  She's imaginary, so no one but me can see her.  She thinks up some good ideas.  Last night she told me to stay up with Jen and sissy so I could see what they do.  It seemed fun, but not really.  Those two are boring!  Plus, I was tired at preschool today.  At least we have nap-time.  I usually just pretend sleep during nap-time, but today I really slept.  Tomorrow is Saturday and I get to go do my modeling thingy.  I love modeling!  It's like dress up and pictures all in one.

"Stella sweetie, time for bed.  You have an early day tomorrow." Jen said as she turned off the TV show I was watching.  Melina tells me that I should stay up and play on the iPad in my room.  I have to tell her that I have to have my beauty sleep so I can be a beautiful model tomorrow.  Jen picks me up and carries me up stairs.  I quietly ask Melina if I should do something.  She tells me yes.  I've wanted to say this for a few days, but Genny has been there and I'm afraid she'll get mad if I do.

"Stella what pajamas do you wanna wear?" Jen asks.  I look at the drawer with all my pajamas.  I point to a pair of pink footie pajamas that have gold hearts all over them.  "Those." I say.  "Alright, let's do this." Jen says as she helps me out of my clothes.  "Are you excited to go model sweetie?" Jen asks.  I nod my head and Jen says.  "Before you go to bed you should probably take your bath.  I know you like your sleep!".  As she says this she tickles me.  I giggle as she carries me into my bathroom.  It's a pretty blue with different sea creatures all over.

I wrap myself in my fluffy pink towel as I wait for the water.  When it gets a little deep, Jen says "Come here."  I take the towel off and step into the water.  Jen takes the two ponytails out of my hair.  "You have very pretty hair." she says as she twirls it around her finger.  "Yours too mommy." I say.  I slap a hand over my mouth.  Jen looks shocked.  I start crying.  "I-I sorry!  I sorry!" I cry.  "No sweetie, it-it's okay.  You can call me mommy." she said.

"Really?" I asked as I sniffled and rubbed my tears.  "Yeah.  It's okay." she said smiling.  She looked like she was gonna happy-cry.  "Don't cry Mommy." I said as I hugged her.  She smiles and gives me my bath.  She's careful not to get the soap in my eyes.  Cause that stuff hurts!  When I was done in the bath tub, Mommy dried my hair and put it in two braids.  She said it would make my hair curlier for tomorrow.

When I was in my pajamas, Mommy set me into my princess bed and pulled my pink blanket up to my neck.  "Mommy, you read me a story?" I asked.  "Sure thing sweetie.  Which one, or do I make one up?" she said.  "Cat in the Hat!" I said, seeing it on my shelf.  "Alright, Cat in the Hat it is!" she said as she got the book.  She started reading and I giggled at the Things.  They were funny!  When she finished the book she closed it and put it back on the shelf.

"I love you very much baby girl." Mommy said.  "I love you too Mommy." I said as I gave her a hug and kissed her cheek.  "I love you more." she teased.  Then we had a contest for who loved each other more.  After our contest, which I totally won, she told me goodnight and kissed my forehead.  I hugged her again and reminded her to turn on the nightlight, turn on my music, and leave the door open a little.   She did all of them.  She turned on my music to my favorite singer Carrie Underwood.  She played all the songs that she wrote and looped the track so that when it was over, it would start again.

"Bye Mommy." I whispered as she left. "Bye Princess Stella." she said and left the door halfway open.

Jen's POV

 I walked out of Stella's room and heard crying.  "G?" I asked quietly.  As I approached her room it got louder.  I opened her door to see Genesis crying under her orange blanket.  "Hey, hey, hey, hey...what's wrong?" I asked as she emerged from under the blanket.  "I don't want her to forget!" she sobbed.  I knew what she meant.  She must have heard Stella say the 'M' word.  "If she forgot already...what if I forget about them?!  I love them!" she cried.

"Oh sweetie, your never going to forget them, and neither has she.  She was scared after she said it too." I said as I pulled her trembling body in my arms.  "I-I just feel...lonely without them." Genesis said.  She looked up and her eyes looked as if they could melt a heart.  "Princess, you don't need to feel lonely.  You have me, Stella, Josh, and your friends-Tessa and Chloe.  You can come to any of us if you feel sad or lonely." I said as I ran my hand through her hair.

"Jen?  Can I?" She asked quietly as her little eyes blinked back tears.  "Yes, you can come to any of us.  Stella's little but she can help, like a little therapy dog.  And your friends will always be there for you.  Plus, Josh and I will always be here for you.  We all love you very much Genesis." I told her.  "No, not that.  I know that you guys are there for me.  That's why I love you all.  Good description of Stella by the way." she said giggling at the end.

"Then what are you asking about?" I asked confused.  "Can I call you mom?" she asked timidly.  I almost cried.  I nodded and hugged her tighter.  "Yes.  Yes of course you can!" I cried happily as she hugged me tighter.  "I love you Mommy." she whispered into my neck.  "I love you very much Genesis.  You and your sister are my saving grace." I told her.  I was crying happily with my little girl.

"Hey, come on.  Let's get you to bed.  You must be tired after practice." I said, knowing she had come back from gymnastics not too long ago.  She nodded and smiled up at me.  I left the room so she could change really quick.  She opened the door when she was done and I saw her looking as cute as ever.  She had a pair of Disney pajamas on and her hair was left down.  "Come here, I'll do your hair." I said.  I sat down with her on the bed and put her hair in two French braids while humming the song from The Hunger Games.  The one when Katniss sings to Rue.

"I love you Mama." Genesis said when I was done with her hair.  "I love you too Gen." I said as I hugged her close.  I carefully rocked her in my arms as if she were a baby.  Eventually she fell asleep peacefully and I set her into her bed.  She curled into a ball and I pulled the blankets to her neck.  "Good night angel girl.  I love you." I whispered and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.  I left her room with a warm and happy feeling in my heart.  

I was a mom...officially.