Lawrence Family Dinner

"So tonight we're gonna have dinner with my parents, brothers, sister-in-law, and my nephew." Jen said as we started driving.  "Okay." I said quietly.  Stella was passed out in the car seat that Jen had also bough today.  I had no idea how we were supposed to get all this stuff on a plane.  Even if we were flying first class, which Jen explained that we would.  She said that if we had to, we could ship some stuff to the house in California.  Speaking of which, Jen showed us pictures of how are rooms looked so we could start thinking about how we wanted to decorate them.  In short, they looked awesome in the pictures.  I couldn't wait to start decorating them.

"So what do you guys like to eat?  You've been having hospital food for a while, so this is anything you guys like." Jen told me.  "Uh, I don't know.  We like pretty much everything.  Stella will eat anything, as long as it doesn't have peas, and we both aren't huge fans of fish." I said.  "Alright, noted.  So how does Chicken Alfredo with a few sides sound? " Jen asked.  "That actually sounds really good." I said smiling.  "Alright then!  We can help my mom make it when we get to the house.  Sound fun?" Jen asked.  "Yea!  I don't know about Stella though." I said pointing to her, slouched over on her seat belt.

"So, uh...what's your family like?" I asked timidly.  "Well, they are very loving and looking forward to meeting you two properly.  I have my mom and dad, you can call them Karen and Gary or Mama and Papa Lawrence.  Whatever you feel comfortable with.  Then there is Ben and Blaine, my brothers.  And Ben is married to my sister-in-law Sarah.  And her son, is my nephew Cody.  We like to hang out with each other, we're funny...but you may not get all the jokes, we like to play sports, we love animals, we just love to be together when we can.  You're gonna love them, and I know they will love you!" Jen said.

Jen smiled in the rear view mirror and pulled into the driveway of a really big white house.  I could barely see down the road, but I knew it was there.  The burnt rumble and ashes that used to be our house.  "Sweetie, don't look at it.  It's okay." Jen said.  I bit my lip and turned my head to my lap.  I wasn't gonna cry.  I put my focus on waking helping Jen get the bags and packages from shopping.  Stella was slowly starting to wake up.  "Wait here a minute.  I'm gonna have someone help us." Jen said as she ran up to the house.  She came back with someone who looked like her dad.

"Genesis, you might remember my dad.  Dad can you take Stella up to the house and put her on the couch or something?" Jen asked.  "Sure pumpkin.  And you can call me Gary or Papa Lawrence if you want." her Dad said.  Gary picked Stella up out of her seat and carried her inside of the house.  I pulled a few bags and boxes out and started making trips with Jen to carry them up to the house.  We put them on the washer and dryer in the laundry room.  After five trips each, we had carried all the stuff inside the house.

"Hey mama." Jen said as someone, who I assumed to be Jen's mom, came into the laundry room.  "Hey, Jen...oh my god!  You look so pretty in that!  Sorry, I'm Karen." said the woman.  "I'm Genesis, and thanks.  I really like the dress." I told her.  "Oh, I'm so glad you and your sister are gonna be part of this family." Karen said as she hugged me.  "Me too." I said giving a fake smile.  I wasn't ready to join a new family so quickly.  I felt like I was just going to forget about my parents.  I didn't wanna do that!

"Wanna help make dinner?" Karen asked me  "Yeah!" I said and nodded my head.  I bounded into the kitchen with Karen and could hear Jen laugh a little.  I was boiling the pasta as Karen cooked the chicken.  "Be careful, don't burn yourself." Karen warned.  I was extra careful as I brained the pasta.  I had seen my mom get burnt because she got the boiling water on her.  Karen helped me a little, because I couldn't balance them both so well.

"Dinner's ready!" Karen called as we finished setting the table.  It looked a little like something Martha Stewart would throw together.  "Wow, it looks fantastic girls!" Gary said as he sat down.  Jen came in a minute later with Stella on her hip.  The five of us were all seated and Karen said, "Jen, you wanna start?"  I assumed this meant to pray.  "Alright, girls hold hands with  everyone." Jen said.  I held hands with Stella and Karen, while Stella took my hand and Jen's.  "Dear God, thank you for bringing Genesis and Stella into our lives.  Thank you for the food and life you give us all.  In your name we pray, amen." Jen said.

We started eating and Gary asked me and Stella, "So what do you girls wanna be when you grow up?"  I had to think about mine, but Stella quickly gave her answer.  "A singer!  Like the country singer girls!" she said.  "Aw, what's your favorite song?" Karen asked.  "Sissy what's the one by CandyLand?" she asked and I laughed.  "SugarLand, and it's 'Something More'." I reminded her.  She knew all the words, but couldn't remember the band and name of the song.  "Cool Stella.  How about you Genesis?  What do you wanna do?" Jen asked as she finished a bite of her food.

"If I can't be a professional soccer player, I wanna be an artist." I said.  "Wow, an artist?  What kind of art do you like the best?" Gary asked.  "I really like street art and 3-D stuff." I told him.  "Well now we have an idea for Christmas and birthdays." Karen said smiling.  "Speaking of which, when are your guy's birthdays?" Jen asked.  "My birthday is June 21st!" Stella said, smiling proudly.  "February 14th." I said blushing.  "That is so cool!  Summer Solstice and Valentine's Day birthdays." Jen said.  We kept talking and eating, with occasional laughing.  I was so at ease with everyone.  I was loving this family.  I was never going to forget my mom and dad.  

But if I had to pick a family after them...this would be it.