California Dollz

Jen's POV

Stella's manager (Yep, you heard me correct.  My four year old has a manager!) came up to me while Stella was modeling and asked me a huge question.  "Have you ever considered putting them in pageants?"  I was a little shocked.  I looked over at my two girls.  Stella was wearing a fluffy pink tutu and Genesis had dressed herself this morning and looked like a biker.  "No, I only adopted them about two months ago." I answered.  "Pageants would be a great way to put Stella's name out there.  Genesis too.  She is so beautiful." her manager told me.  I had bit my lip and thought it over.  

She showed me her laptop screen that had a sparkly pink font that said 'California Dollz Pageant'.  This is a high glitz pageant that would be a perfect starter.  What do you say?" she asked excitedly.  I wasn't sure.  I knew Stella would love it, but maybe not Genny.  "We really want both of them to get recognized in the beauty world." she said trying to persuade me.  "They're celebrity kids.  Aren't they already out there?" I asked.  "Yeah, but for people to want them to be their cover girl.  Jen if you pass this up, it could be the difference between their careers." she said.

Alright.  I caved.  I agreed and she e-mailed me the forms to sign them up.  I looked at my tablet while Stella was getting her pictures.  Genesis was texting Chloe so she would be too distracted if I called Josh about his opinion.

"Hey cutie."

"Hey babe.  So I got a question."

"Shoot."

"So I kinda just signed the girls up for a beauty pageant?"

"Uh...okay?  Why?"

"Stella's manager said it would be good for them."

"Well they are definitely pretty enough.  Did you tell them?"

"No.  I need a creative idea on how.  Otherwise G might kill me.  You know she isn't really girly."

"Yeah, well maybe you could take them to the dress store and tell them to pick out a dress for their first pageant."

"Yeah, that sounds good.  Thanks baby."

"No problem.  Hey, wanna go out later tonight?  I'm sure Jena or Liz would take the girls..."

"Maybe...I'll have to get back to you."

"Alright, I love you."

"I love you too."

After we hung up, I decided to start looking for a pageant store.  I found one about twenty minutes away from our house that was called, 'Posh Princess'.  It catered to the greatest pageant contestants and had the widest variety of dresses.  From floor length, to what was considered a cupcake skirt.  I had no idea what the difference was so thank Jesus for the internet.  I scrolled through the dresses.  Holy crap!  Two thousand dollars for a glitz dress?!  Well, I guess this is what I signed up for.  It also wasn't a huge dent in my yearly salary.  Catching Fire looks like it is going to be a big hit in the bx offices.

"Why are you looking at those?" I heard from behind me.  I nearly shot out of my pants.  "G-G!"I screamed.  She giggled and then said, "Sorry.  Why are you looking at those dresses?  We already have red carpet dresses." I was caught in the act.  Crap.  "Well, I actually signed you and Stella up for a beauty pageant.  California Dollz." I said slowly.

Her eyes got huge and her jaw might as well have hit the floor.  "Really?" she asked raising an eyebrow.  "Look it would be good to get your name out there." I started but she cut me off.  "No, it's not that.  It's actually kinda funny.  I did a couple beauty pageants when I was Stella's age." she giggled.  "So your a seasoned pro!" I said pushing her shoulder.  "Whatever you wanna call it." she said raising her hands.  "So you wanna do it?" I asked.

"Duh!" she said happily.  "So you wanna go here tomorrow and get your dresses?" I asked.  "Sure.  What are the categories?" she asked.  I had to go back and look.  "The high-glitz pageant 'California Dollz' has three categories.  Those categories are Beauty, Swimsuit, and Outfit of Choice." I said reading the e-mail.  "Oh, I had a bunch really good outfit of choice routine.  I remembered all my routines.  " she said.  "And what would that be?" I asked suspiciously.

"Outfit of Choice was my best category!" Genny said snapping her fingers.  "I bet." I said as I twirled my finger around her hair.  "I'm gonna get the hair and makeup people from THG to do your guy's hair and makeup." I said as I sent a quick text to the hair and makeup people.  Namely my person, Georgina.  That lady was a goddess with hair and makeup.  "Alright.  I'm excited!  Thank you Mama!" Gen said as she hugged my neck.  I smiled as she called me mom.  She went back to texting her friends and I started looking at pageant dresses.   

I told Stella about the pageant and she was so excited.  We're going to 'Posh Princess' tomorrow to get dresses, swimsuits, and figure out something for outfit of choice.  I was happy that the girls were excited.  I never would have expected Genesis to be a pageant girl!  One of the many surprises that life sent me.  I never did get to go out with Josh.  His dog ended up having to go to the vet since it ate some grapes.  I was happy to spend the night with my girls though.  Tomorrow we get the dresses and then...

It's time to practice.

***

Okay, so I was watching Toddlers and Tiaras when I wrote this.  Do you guys think pageant day should be good or bad?  Should we have some pushy competitors?  Who will win that 'Ultimate Grand Supreme'?  You tell me!  Leave it all in the comments!  If you write stories could you please mention my book at the end of a chapter?  Not trying to be rude, but I just wanna put it out there!  If you tell me that you've mentioned it, I will dedicate a chapter to you and possibly make you a character!

Chapter Question: Have you ever done a beauty pageant?  Will you ever put your kids in pageants?

My Answer: I have done one natural pageant and won Queen.  I might want my kids to do pageants.