Performance Night (Part 1)

"JJ!" I yelled as I ran into the school.  I had her hipster Christmas tree gift in my bag.  "What's up Lil' G?" she asked as I hugged her.  "Super excited for tonight!  I also got you this!" I said as I handed her the bag.  "Thanks Gen!  I'm sorry I didn't get you anything..." she said, starting to trail off.  "It's okay, you helped me learn how to be a better actress, and that's good enough." I said as I hugged her.  "Aw thanks G." JJ said as she hugged me back.

"Alright well we have to get into hair and makeup." JJ said as she pulled me down the hall to the girl's dressing room.  There was a bunch of girls crowded in, getting their hair and makeup done.  "Genesis!  I need you over here for makeup, get in your outfit first." Liz called to me.  I nodded and went to get into my regular outfit.  I hopped on one foot, putting my shoe on, to get over to the makeup table.  I sat down in the chair and Liz came up to swarm my face.

I was pulled around so different people could do different parts of my makeup.  I held my eyes open so they could do my bottom eyeliner, which stung a little bit.  I let them do all the makeup though and then looked back in the mirror.  I looked pretty amazing if I do say so myself!  It looked kinda like the makeup that Georgina did for the pageant last month.  "Alright G. You're done." Liz said and I got off the bench.  

Kara leaned her head into the dressing room.  "Alright we are gonna go into the choir room in twenty minutes for the rile-up!" she said excitedly.  I smiled and checked my hair in the mirror.  "Shit!  Someone needs to do Gen's hair!" JJ said as she was curling hers.  Oh crap!  I was supposed to have my hair in a fake longish bob-cut.  "Genesis!  Come here!" said one of the girl's who played a friend of Beezus.  I went over to her and she looked at my hair.

"Liv, there is no way I can get this into the bob.  What do you want me to do?" she asked in a panic?  Oh God, we had one hour before the show and went for warm ups in 20, no 18, minutes!  "Two French braids!" Liz yelled quickly.  Good idea Liz.  "G, hair-ties, bobby pins, hairspray." the girl said.  I handed her each item and she started braiding my hair.  Ten minutes later, my hair was in two long braids.  "Perfect, totally Ramona, I like this better than the fake bob." Liz said.  

"Won't it be harder to get my hair in the bald cap and wig later?" I asked.  "Nah, I'll just pull these up and pin them in place.  Then you got the cap and wig." Liz said.  I nodded and sprayed extra hairspray in my hair.  Five minutes later we were all doing the finishing touches on ourselves as we started to go into the choir room.

I stood next to JJ who looked really nice in her outfit.  Beezus was supposed to be more chic than Ramona, so she was more polished while I was more free to do whatever.  She was wearing a loose mint shirt, skinny jeans, light tan boots, a white hat, and a scarf.

  She was wearing a loose mint shirt, skinny jeans, light tan boots, a white hat, and a scarf

"Alright is everyone in here?" Kara asked as she entered the choir room.  We all looked around and nodded.  "alright then let's do some acting exercises.  Which one of my Seniors wants to lead?" Kara asked.  "I will!" Nikki yelled obnoxiously loud.  "Always good to have you around Nik." Kara said as she stepped aside to let Nikki take the lead.  "Alright so I have this ball of energy and we gotta keep passing it around." Nikki said and then she demonstrated with JJ.

Nikki pretended the 'energy ball' was a basket ball and she made a basket into JJ's arms.  JJ pretended it was a horse.  She 'got on her horse' and galloped over to Oliver, who played Henry.  She handed him the horse 'reigns' and let him do whatever next.  People were coming up with a bunch of crazy ways to keep the energy ball going.  Eventually, a girl my age Katie, cast a ishing pole and reeled it in over to me.  I thought up of something really quick and had a great idea.

I set the 'energy ball' down and pretended to climb it like it was a ladder.  I then stood on top of my ladder and 'picked an apple'.  I took the 'apple' down and showed it to everyone, getting oohs and ahhs from everyone.  I pretended to take a bite of the apple and then started to gag.  I dramatically fell to the floor and through the 'poison apple' over to Liz.

This game continued for a few more minutes until Kara entered.  "Hey guys!  So I have one last thing that we need to do before we go on stage for our huge performance!" she said and we all whooped in approval.  "How many of you know the movie High School Musical?" she asked.  OMG High School Musical was one of my favorite movies!  "I think we can all agree that we are all in this together!" Kara said as she started the boom box.  "Everybody sing with it!  You know you want to!" she said.

I sang with the entire song and joined in with everybody else dancing.  I made sure I had a clear spot and did a back handspring.  "Woo!  Go Gen-Gen!" Oliver called out.  "We're all in this together!" I sang with everyone.  "Everyone go dominate that stage!" Kara yelled and we all whooped as we left the choir room to backstage.  I went in with a ton of excitement.  Nikki quickly turned on my mic from the sound and light deck and I waited for the curtain to open.  As soon as it opened I could see Mom, Stella, Tori, and Josh in the middle.  They were my rock, the reason I was here.  I took a mental breath and started with my first line.

"My name's Ramona Q..."

***

Hey ya'll.  So I had to include some nostalgia from everyone's childhood.  The ways I described as acting exercises are actually how we warmed up for the play I was in!  I hope you guys enjoyed!