I'll Keep You Safe

Chapter Song: It Shouldn't Hurt To Be A Child

Jen's POV

I took home the girls that night and had to avoid from crying.  I told them that they can sleep in my bed tonight.  I still had to wrap my head around this whole thing.  I got the two of the ready for bed.  I had to give Stella her bath, and I knew I had to give Tori one.  I wanted her to feel safe with me.  I was afraid that Stella would ask questions, so I gave them baths separately.  I gave Stella hers first, since she would be comfortable to be on her own if I was with Tori a little longer.

"Miss Jen?  You're sure it's okay if I call you Mommy?" Tori asked.  "Yes, I'm sure it's alright." I told her.  "Mommy, is Tori our new sister now?" Stella asked as  she brought some clothes for Tori to use after her bath.  "Yes, I adopted her.  She's your sister now." I told her.  "It's so cool!  My best friend is my new sister!" Tori said excitedly.  That was one of the things I loved about her.  No matter the pain she went through, she was still happy and nice to everyone.

"Stella why don't you pick out a movie to watch.  I'll let you guys stay up tonight.  You guys don't have to go to school tomorrow." I told them.  "Really?" Tori asked.  "I'm sure.  I'll tell your teachers why tomorrow.  You guys have had a long and hard day." I tell them.  "Thanks Mommy!" they say at the same time.  "Alright, Tori let's give you your bath." I tell her.  I carefully remove the old shirt she had and her jeans.  It still almost makes me cry to see her cuts and bruises.  Stella had left so she carefully stepped into the warm water that had filled the tub.

"Mommy?  Will you love me?" Tori asked.  "I already love you." I told her as I push a little red curl away from her face.  I washed her hair and body and flinched when I saw her wince if I touched a tender bruise.  "Mommy!" I heard Stella yell for me as she came back up the stairs.  "In here, Stell'." I called to her.  "Tori what movie do you like?" Stella asked as she came near the bathroom door.  She knew to cover her eyes because that was the rule.  No looking at someone else in the bathroom.  It was my rules as a kid and I figured now they were appropriate.

"You guys should watch my favorite movie when I was a kid." I told them.  "What was that?" they both asked at the same time.  "The Lion King." I said.  "I love The Lion King!" they both said.  "Alright, then how about that?" I asked.  "I'll get it!" Stella said.  "And you guys can watch it in my room!" I said, knowing it was Stella's favorite place to hang out.  "I'll also make pizzas for dinner." I told Tori with a wink.  She smiled and I finished giving her the bath.

I took her out after ten more minutes and put a pair of Stella's pajamas on her.  I was going to take the two of them shopping tomorrow.  They were the same size, so they would probably share clothes.  I still wanted to take Tori out and get her stuff that she could call her own.  I was still wondering when I'd have to tell Stella why Tori was adopted by us.  After getting Tori dressed, she followed me to my room.  Stella had carried her two favorite blankets and two stuffed animals to my bed.  "One for me, and one for you!" she said as she shared with her new sister.  It made me smile.  "Do you guys wanna make dinner and then watch the movie or I make dinner while you watch the movie?" I asked.  "I wanna help!" they both said with excitement.  "Alright then let's go kiddo!" I said.

***

We made the pizzas and took them up to my room.  I even decided to let them have pop tonight with dinner.  We went back upstairs and started the movie.  I hadn't seen it in so long!  They only lasted about the end of 'Hakuna Matata'.  I looked at the two of them and carefully moved away.  "Goodnight my lovelies." I whispered, "I love you."  I got out of the bed and looked at the two of them.  "The best really does come out of a bad situation." I said to myself.  

I went downstairs and looked at my phone.  Two missed calls.  One from Gen and the other from Josh.  It said Gen's was from an hour ago.  What was she still doing up?  Oh, time zone difference.  But if it's ten here, it's midnight there!  Something must be bothering her.  I'll call her tomorrow morning.  I did kind of drop a bomb on her with the Tori thing.  Josh was probably calling to say 'good night' to me.  I should tell him about Tori.

How would I tell the media about Tori.  I wanted her to have her privacy for a little while, but if anyone saw me with her...they'd want to know.  I got on my computer and typed into Google, 'Adopting an Abused Child'.  I wanted to make sure I didn't do anything wrong to scare her.  I looked at the pages and they mostly stated about being gentle, flexible, and not be intimidating.  Then I realized something.

It's no different than raising any other child.  You love any child as if it's your own.  You're careful, you're understanding, and you show them that you love them with all your heart.  You show them that you're there for them and will help them when they need it, no matter how much they deny it.  Love is love, and nothing that's happened will change that.  

Dang, I should write a parenting book!

***

Hey guys, so the chapter song is 'It Shouldn't Hurt To Be A Child'.  This song I feel is very true for this chapter.  So do you guys have any ideas to keep this book going a little longer.  I accept short and long term ideas.  I really want to keep this book a little longer so I don't have to jump to the sequel so quickly.  I want this book to be about 75 chapters and I think I'm at 35 chapters.  So please if you have ideas, either DM/PM me on Wattpad or leave them in the comments.  Thanks guys!