Ramona and Beezus

Genesis' POV

"Hey guys!  I almost forgot, the school corporation is having a casting call for the annual play.  This year it is 'Ramona and Beezus'.  They are looking for kids around your age to play Ramona and her classmates.  So if you guys are interested, auditions are tomorrow until 5:00." Miss Parish said as the bell rang.  I wanted to get one.  It seemed cool.  I grabbed my backpack off the back of my seat and grabbed the orange audition packet off of the front podium.

"Trying out Genesis?" Miss Parish asked.  "Yeah.  It seems pretty cool!" I said.  "I have a feeling you'll do good.  Have a good day Genesis." she said as I left.  "You too!" I called back.  I ran out of the school to catch my bus.  I was almost late, but I made it!  "Hey G!" Rosco the bus driver said.  "Hey Rowdy!  Thanks for waiting!" I said as I took my seat across from Tessa and Chloe.  Rosco's nickname was Rowdy for us.  He said it sounded cooler.

"You gonna try out?" Tessa asked as I sat down.  "Think so.  I'm gonna have to ask if I can stay after tomorrow." I explained.  "Oh, well hopefully you won't miss dance." Chloe said.  "I shouldn't auditions are over at five.  Class doesn't start till six." I said.  We made small talk the rest of the ride.  Which wasn't that long.  I was one of the first kids to get dropped off.

Mama was waiting at the bus stop to pick me up.  "Hey sweetie!" she said as she hugged me.  "Hi Mama." I said as I hugged her back.  We made a turn around and headed back to the house.  "What ya got there?" she asked and pointed to the packet.  "It's an audition packet for the school's play.  It's Ramona and Beezus.  Can I audition?  It goes till five tomorrow night." I explained quickly.  "I don't see why not!" Mama said smiling.  I was really excited!

*The Next Day at Auditions*

I practiced all night to hopefully get the part of Ramona.  I could totally relate with her.  Trying to be spontaneous and stand out.  I was sitting in the auditorium waiting with everyone else to come.  Everyone who wanted to try out was here.  I could see high schoolers all around practicing with one another for the part of Beezus or one of her classmates.  I felt kind of out of place.  There weren't that many kids my age.  Tessa and Chloe said they weren't the theatrical type, and most of the boys found it 'lame' to act.  Oh yeah?  Ask Josh!  He's a celebrity because of acting!  He makes hundreds of thousands every year!

"Alright hello to all!  Those who do not know me, I'm Kara.  I can be your best friend or biggest enemy.  Depends how we work together." Said a woman with pink streaks weaved into her blonde hair.  I was a little nervous.  I can be your  biggest enemy?  That wasn't very comforting.  "Alright we are going to start with the auditions for Ramona!  I need all girls auditioning for the part of Ramona, up on stage.  I slowly got out of my seat.

I went up to the stage and stood in line with about ten other girls my age.  There was one girl who looked perfect.  Her hair was curled and she was in a purple dress with olive green tights.  Just like Ramona in the movie.  I was wearing a black and white striped shirt with red jeans and my Converse.  "Alright you, go first!" Kara called to the girl in the purple dress.  "I'm Emily, by the way!" she called before reading the script.  Emily repeated the line perfectly.  Kara filled in for the other lines in the script.

"You right there, next!" Kara called to me.  "O-Okay.  I'm Genesis." I said before starting.

Ramona:My name 's Ramona Q.  I'm nine and three months, and no matter what my sister Beezus tells you...I'm not a pest.  My dad says I just have an overactive imagination, which does come in handy.  It makes the fun parts funner and the scary parts scarier.  And frankly, it's good to scare yourself once in a while...'cause if you can 't be brave at recess...how can you do it when it really counts?
Howie: Okay, stay with me. You can do it, Ramona.
Ramona: I ' never make it, Howie. Whoa. (Pause)  Owie, owie.  That's my echo off the canyon, canyon, canyon. (Giggles from Ramona and Howie)

"Genesis, very good." Kara commented.  I nodded and stepped back into the line.  I got a dirty look from Emily.  I just smiled.  Kara hadn't commented on Emily's performance.  The other girls in the line said the same lines.  "Alright I want Emily, Genesis, and Katie to stay up there.  They are going to read with our Beezus auditionees." Kara said.  I got a little flutter of excitement in my heart.  I'm glad I practiced all last night with Mama.

"Alright I want to read with Emily first." Kara said.  Emily read some of the lines she and 'Beezus would have.  "Alright Miss Genesis, you now." Kara called after Emily read with the four girls auditioning for Beezus.  I stood next to the first girl, I'm pretty sure her name was Haley.  She was kind of a snob as she read the line with me.  The second girl had a monotone voice, but the third girl.  I think her name was Julia-Jennette.  She said to call her JJ though.

Ramona: (Fear and realization is in Ramona's voice) Beezus!  Beezus?  I thought he was asleep, but he's not.
Beezus: (Frustrated) What now?
Ramona: (With sorrow) He's dead.  Picky Picky's dead.
Beezus: (Sadness and Realization)Don't worry. Mom will be home soon.  She' know what to do.
Ramona: No. Remember what Dad said?  We can't make any trouble for Mom now.
(Switch to Outside Set)
Ramona: (With sadness) He was a Quimby before we were, Beezus.  Picky Picky...I hope you have nine Iives.  And maybe tomorrow...you can wake up as somebody else's cat...start a new Iife.  I really hope
they feed you melon rind sometimes.  I know you Iike that.
Beezus: (With sorrow) I think it's important...that you know...Dad was just pretending to forget your name.  He always knew it.  He really did Iove you.
Ramona: (Sadness while trying to be brave) We'll miss you, Picky Picky.

"Oh my God!  JJ, Genesis!  Beautiful!  You know what?  I think we are good!  Now let's move on with the others!" Kara called out.  JJ high-fived me.  "Good job kid!" she said.  "You too!  Have you done this before?" I asked.  "Yep, only my like, fifth play!" JJ said.  "Cool!  This is my first." I said shyly.  "Woah, you're like a natural!" JJ said.  That made me feel pretty awesome!  I was the newbie!

At the end of tryouts, Kara posted the cast list.  I was really excited, but also nervous.  She had us stop, but that doesn't mean that we got the leads.  JJ and I had been hanging out for the most part.  We raced to the cast list.  I squeezed under JJ's legs.  And looked at the list with hope.

Ramona-Genesis Lawrence

Beezus-Julia-Jennette 'JJ' Watkins

That was all that mattered to me.  JJ saw the list too.  She hugged me tight.  "Way to go G!" she said happily.  I was so happy.  "Well, looks like we're sisters." I said looking at her.  "Yeah, good thing we look the same." she said laughing.  We did look alike.  Brown hair and brown eyes.  I was over the moon happy! 

I was officially an actress!