Tech Week (Part 2)

Genesis' POV

We have two more practices!  Today being one of the two.  Tomorrow was the last day of school, and the day of our last practice.  I was getting kind of tired of staying at the school until 9, almost 10, pm every night.  JJ and I were eating takeout from Inside-Out Burger in the back of the theater house.  "Saturday's when we preform!" I said excited.  "Yeah, you nervous newbie?" she asked.  "Nope!  I'm not scared of anything!  I make the Grimm Reaper cower in fear!" I said with a devilish grin.  Total lie and JJ knew it.  I was scared of lots of stuff, but we were joking around.

"Gen?  There are lots of people and things that are scared of you!  Not always in a good way!" JJ teased as she pushed my shoulder.  "Shut up JJ." I told her.  "Hey guys, you ready?  We're gonna run the picture day scenes." Oliver, who played Henry, came up and told us.  "Alright.  I'm coming." I said as I shoved two more fries in my mouth.

I got dressed into my picture day outfit.  Which was a gold and white striped top, a ruffled jean skirt, with a gold headband and shoes.  As I got dressed in the girl's changing room, I saw the carton of raw eggs sitting on the dressing table.  "You ready for these?" the costume manager, Liz, asked me.  "Ready as I'll ever be!" I said.  "Come here.  I gotta put your wig on." Liz said.  I went over to her and let her put my loose curly hair into a flat bun, and then put the hair net over it.  I watched Liz pick up the wig that was styled into the hair that was used for this scene.

"You think you have it hard?  I gotta wash this thing every time they use it!" Liz said, laughing.  I just realized that!  After every egg that went through that wig, Liz had to wash it out!  Liz pulled the wig onto my head and bobby-pinned it in place.  "Alright, shake it.  See if it falls off." she said.  I shook my head and it didn't move.  "Alright you're good to go kid." she said.  I left the dressing room and the crew had already set up for the picture day scene.

We ran the dialogue and we came to the part in the scene where I smack the egg on the top of my head.  I showed the egg and said, "This is the proper way to crack a hard-boiled egg!" with a bit of sass.  Then I raised it above my head and smacked it down.  It crushed all over the hair and pulled my best face that included shock, disgust, and horror.  It wasn't hard to get laughs from everyone else in the scene.

The rest of the night went on without a hitch.  I had to smack that egg on my head two more times, but I think it was just because Kara and the rest of the cast thought it was funny.  I was chilling in the house while Kara was working with JJ and Oliver for their scene at the wedding together.  I looked down at my iPod and saw that I had a text from mom.  'Hey, wanna get the xmas gifts for ur friends 2nite?' the message said.  That was mom for ya, always using her text talk.

'Sure, practice is done in an hour.' I sent her and locked my iPod.  I would have to give Tessa her present at her house, she still hasn't come back to school.  I'm not sure if she'll even finish out the school year.  Her mom said she was getting better at remembering a few little things.  A couple names and a few places.  But this was Tessa we're talking about, she can totally get through this.

I already knew what I was getting for Chloe and Tessa.  They had those really cute emoji pillows, and I was gonna give those to them.  Tessa was gonna get the heart eyes one and Chloe was gonna get the ghost one.  I just had to go get them with mom tonight and put them in the gift bags.  Oh crap!  I also gotta get something for the gift exchange in our class!  Okay, I just gotta get a girl present.  That'll be easy...what to get though?  

I don't want to get another emoji pillow and make Chloe and Tessa not feel special.  I guess I'll just have to see what they have there.  "Genesis?  Can you run the scene with JJ when you two are in Beezus' room talking about not wanting to move?" Kara asked.  "Yep!" I said and got up from my seat.  I could worry about the present later when we go to the store.  I went up on stage where the crew had pulled out the two purple walls, nightstand, and bed that made up Beezus' room.  There were a lot of set changes in this thing.  They used the same bed and nightstand for my room, but instead had yellow walls.

JJ came up on stage with me and we both took our beginning places.  She was doing her homework on the bed when I came in from the left.  "And...action!" Kara yelled and the lights came up.  "Beezus?" I asked into my headset mic.  "Ramona?  You can stay in here if you want." she said.  I went over to her and sat next to her on the bed.  She put the text book away and we continued with our dialogue.

We finished up that night with running a few more little scenes were things had to be fixed.  Then it was time for notes.  "Guys, you have come a long way with this performance.  At the beginning you all had no idea what you were coming into, even my experienced actors.  You have all shown me through this play how to be magical and believe in the impossible.  There is really nothing else to do but keep perfecting it tomorrow.  You guys have done an incredible job, and I love seeing my brand new actors taking on the big parts.  I'll get more sentimental with my cast on the night of show.  Anyways, go home, get some rest, and tomorrow...make this last practice count." Kara said.

I smiled as she released us.  I checked my iPod to see a text from mom, 'Just pulled up.' it said.  I grabbed my bag and my jacket.  "Hey, I'll see you tomorrow G." JJ said as she was walking out to her car.  "JJ?" I asked her.  "What's up?" she asked.  "Thanks.  For being the best co-star ever." I told her.  "I should thank you.  You're the little sister I never had." she said.  We ended it with a hug so tight that a grizzly bear would be begging for mercy.

I went out to mom's car and opened the door to the passenger side.  "Hey Gen." mom said as I set my bag down in the back.  "Hi mom.  Hey Stella, Tori." I said as I acknowledged them in the backseat.  "Hey Genny!  You ready to go get the presents?" Tori asked.  "Sure am!" I said with a smile.  "So we need class present for both Stella and Tori.  And you need a class present and two friend presents.  Also, three teacher presents." mom said making sure everything was right.  

"Actually...could I also get something for JJ?  I mean since she's helped me so much." I asked.  "You know that is a great idea." mom said as she smiled at me.  "You're being very nice this Christmas season Genesis.  Is there a certain item you've been wanting?" mom asked suspiciously.  "I don't really know what I want.  I mean we're already going to Disney!  I got an American Girl doll.  I don't really know what I want!" I giggled.  Mom smiled and continued to get out of the parking lot.

I was surprised that mom didn't have Stella and Tori stay at the house or had Willow babysit them.  After all it was like 8:30.  But then again, we were just going to the local CVS.  I already had an idea in mind for JJ and Kara.  It had to be something funny, but still show how happy I was to work with them.  

When we got to the CVS, I first got the two emoji pillows.  I already knew I was getting those.  Then I found my gift exchange present.  It was this cool spiral art set that I knew would be a good idea.  Now, something for Miss Parish.  I wasn't really sure what to get her.  "How about this?" mom asked me.  She was holding a plush Christmas tree that lit up, was wearing sunglasses, and played the guitar.  Then when she hit the button it started dancing on the platform.  I started laughing.  "I wanna get that for JJ!" I told her.  I found a collection of different Christmas scented candles for Miss Parish.

"Alright, I think that is everything!" mom said as she had filled the CVS shopping cart with the various presents for friends and teachers.  I was looking at the different magazines while mom paid for everything.  My jaw nearly dropped when Is aw the different magazine covers with MY FACE on them!

'Genesis Lawrence-Next Big Thing?'

'Is Genesis the one to watch?'

'Genesis Lawrence, Best thing since Jackie Evancho!'

'Watch out World!  Here comes Genesis!'

***

Hey guys!  I'm back!  My grading period is over and my grades are all good!  Thanks for waiting for me, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.  I have some plans for the future of this book.  I hope you're all ready for the ride!  Comment any suggestions or thoughts you have for this book, I really appreciate them.  Also check me out on YouTube: Jessi Tobias.  I have a few singing videos up that I think you might enjoy.  

Much love, Jess