Ch. 8 Scent

It's been a few days since the three of you came to stay at your home. Gilbert's been adapting very well to the human world, even seemed to you he was having fun which was something you prayed for because you hoped this new life would help him become friendlier.  As for Michael, you took him out for a walk last night when the sun disappeared from the sky and he liked it very much. You went to the park and sat there on the grass. Michael was watching very curiously as the people around you were having fun, running around, the children playing with their dogs, throwing kikes...

"Is this what real life is?" he asked and you couldn't help it but laugh. "Hey what's so funny!" he looked at you. You were sitting on a bench at the park and it was just beginning to get dark.
"Nothing... just you're too sweet." did you just say that out loud?
"Hahahaha" he laughed.
"Hey! Why are you laughing?"
"YN... I am a 3000 years-old vampire, a predator, a killer hungry for blood and you're telling me I'm sweet! Hahahaha..."
"Well, I wasn't thinking about that part when I said it!" he stopped laughing and looked at you.
"What?" you asked because he won't look away nor blink.
"You're just... beautiful." you felt your face turn red like literally then looked away, tugging a chunk of hair behind your ear. You felt uncomfortable and he noticed it so quickly changed the topic "I think we should be going. We left Gilbert alone... who knows what he might do!"
"You're right." you both got up and headed home.

On the way home, there was this couple in front of you walking and holding hands. Michael was looking at them and thinking about something but you didn't dare ask what. They were laughing, looking at each other and the love in their eyes could easily be read.

They remained behind your backs but their laughter could still be heard.

You looked at Michael to find his eyes locked on the ground and hands behind his back. You wanted to say something and start a conversation but didn't know how. After a few minutes of walking in silence, you felt his cold hand grab yours. You jumped in surprise because this was the last thing you would have expected from him. However, you didn't move away, you liked it.

This reminded you about the couple you saw tonight.

Meanwhile at Dracula's Castle, Author's POV

Marion noticed a different smell flowing in the air of Dracula's forests and castle. It strongly differed from the one of the green trees, the wood, the mud and the stone that the castle was made of. This smell was good like an expensive perfume just like the scent of the flowers in the garden.

"Can you smell this, Adamus?" Marion sniffed again and Adamus inhaled deeply.
"Yes... it's her. The human.. she smells like this. Of course, it's not as strong as before since she's not here but it's still strong enough for me to know."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes. I told you I've been here, I've talked to her and I remember her body scent very well. How can one forget it... "
"Let's go inside."

Without wasting more time, they got in the castle, using the girl's scent as their path which led them to her room.

"That must be her room." Marion begun.
"Yes, the smell is the strongest here. Juts look at the room he gave her, pure luxury."
"Agree. She must be important to him."
"Definitely more than food I would say..." they looked at each other. Adamus begun sniffing again like a dog. "See this, Marion?" he opened a wardrobe to find YN's clothes inside "Her clothes are still here!"
"But where is she? Dracula and Gilbert too? They're all gone!"
"I have no idea but I'm sure they'll soon return."
"What are we going to do until then?" Marion asked.
"We can only wait. We can't call the council if we don't have evidence against Dracula and the only way we can find evidence is by observing them."
"You're right, Adamus. But we have to be very careful... Dracula's not someone who can easily be spied on."
"I know that, Marion."
"Maybe... we should ask the girl herself about their relationship?" Adamus devilishly smiled.
"Great idea but... without Dracula, only her."
"The only question is how do we find her? Do you think we will manage to trace her smell all the way to where she is now?"
"They must have left a day ago since the smell is still very strong. I think if we try hard, we might actually be able to find her."
"Then we'll try hard! I don't want to brag about it but my nose is one of the best noses in the vampire world!" Adamus said.
"You'll never change Adamus... always bragging about yourself."
"Thank you!" Marion rolled his eyes at Adamus and just ignored him. "Let's go now."

Your POV

You woke up, thinking about last night when Michael took your hand in his, after seeing that couple in the park.

You returned home holding hands just like a real couple but you weren't. You didn't know what you two were. He kissed you and seemed to care a lot about you but has never asked you to be his girlfriend...

You opened the door of your bedroom to go downstairs for breakfast and found Michael standing right in front of the door. When he saw you, he became nervous, playing with his hands behind his back.

"Hi." he said.
"Hi." you replied and shyly smiled.
"I'm sorry I didn't mean to be like Gilbert..." if this was Gilbert in front of your room (like usually) you'd get annoyed but since it was Dracula - man... it made you so happy and special.
"No it's okay.."
"I just heard you were awake and you know I-I"
"It's okay Michael, don't worry about it." you gave him your warmest smile. "Well, where's Gilbert?" you tried to start a conversation.
"He's in the garden." the fire between you two was in the air. Your eyes were locked together and next thing you knew, you felt his hand on your cheek. He begun to slowly caress it.
"M-Michael.." you stuttered.
"I've been wanting to do something so badly.." he whispered.
"What is it?" he lowered himself down and then you knew, he wanted to kiss you.

Your heart begun beating even faster in your chest, eagerly waiting for the kiss as he slowly approached his lips to yours.

He stopped all of a sudden and backed off.

"What happened?"
"Your father's coming." he turned around and went to his room, giving you one last look. After a minute you saw your dad.
"Baby! I thought you were still sleeping so I came to wake you up. Breakfast's ready, come downstairs now!" he put his hand on your shoulder and led you to the kitchen.

Author's POV

Marion and Adamus had managed to trace YN's smell and now they knew where she lived, however, they made sure they kept great distance because if the Dracula sensed their presence in the town, he'd get suspicious, then find and probably kill them since he was not stupid, he'd immediately understand what they were trying to do, namely, get him killed.

They even rubbed mud and gras against their bodies so as to kill a little their own vampire smell.

To humans, vampires smelled of nothing but to vampires, vampires had a very specific smell.

"We can't get to her. Dracula and Gilbert are always with her." Adamus said.
"Patience my younger friend... they will part eventually. All we've got to do is wait."
"Great." Adamus sarcastically said. "You know how much I hate waiting."
"You will wait as long as you have to even if it takes us ages! So stop complaining. Younger vampires have become so impatient nowadays..." Marion murmured.
"I heard you, Marion."
"All good things take time, my dear Adamus."

Sorry this chapter was short but I promise next one will be long and more interesting! I will also update soon :)