Ch. 44 What have I gotten myself into?

Michael's POV

I gave the book to the witch and told her to read the spell.

"I'll do it, count, but I can't guarantee you that this will work.." she said to me after examining the book.
"Why?" I didn't like that at all! 
"Because I don't know what's going to happen and there's another problem... we don't have any rockets left! Even if this opens the portal to the city, the vampires there will be the only ones who could travel, of course, if they still have a decent rocket! We can't get there!"
"You know what, you talk to much, witch! Now start reading and let's see what happens!"

I didn't like it when people told me that there was no way up to my love! I hated to hear that! 

"Alright." she replied and opened the book. She begun reading and my heart begun racing in my chest. The thought of seeing YN made my dead heart beat again with hope and happiness! I was sure this was going to work and I could almost see her standing in front of me and running towards my arms! I would embrace her so tightly and keep her in my arms for a whole week straight! This time I wasn't going to let her go! This time I was finally going to marry her and make her my wife and queen for eternity! 

"Done." she closed the book.

The three of us, me, Gilbert and the witch, just stood in the room and waited for something to happen. I sharpened my ears to hear even the slightest whisper or sound, which could mean that the spell did something to open the portal! 

"Why isn't anything happening?" I asked impatiently. "How long is this going to take!?"
"I don't know, count! And maybe something in the city is happening right now, we can't know! We have to be patient and wait now!"
"That was the last thing I wanted to hear...." I plumped on the sofa and buried my face in my hands.
"Count," Gilbert said "I'm sure everything's gonna be okay. If this really opens the portal, they'll need time to get here."
"We're returning to the countess' castle. We're gonna wait there! If they come, that's where they'll land!" I ordered.

City of Night
YN's POV

"Nothing is going on, Adamus. We're just talking." Meier replied. Adamus examined us from head to toe as we were walking.
"You make such a beautiful couple!"
"Thank you!" Meier replied and it seemed to me he loved that compliment. I just rolled my eyes and ignored it.
"Oh and I forgot to tell you something... that's why I came here in the first place."
"Tell us what?" Meier asked.
"Hmm.. let me see what was it... oh yes! I remember now! The elderlies want to talk to you two!"
"What? Why? Who told you that?" Meier jumped.
"They told me! And I don't know why..."
"But... I don't understand..."
"Who are they?" I asked.
"They are the older vampires here, who help me rule this city..."
"I understand they want to talk to you, but to me too? I'm not a vampire!"
"I have no idea, YN."
"You've become very famous around here, YN." Adamus said "No wonder they want to talk to you..." and grinned. I was sure that snake knew something about it and wasn't telling us.
"Let's go to them now." Meier said.

We returned to Meier's castle and he led us to his library. After a little while, the elderlies came in and we all sat down on the chairs.

"You wanted to talk to us.." Meier begun with a calm yet nervous voice. I could tell that those people had a lot of power here and the vampires listen to them as well. They were three vampires, who looked older but calmer and wiser than the other vampires.
"Yes, we do." one of them spoke. His voice was calm and smooth. "It's about you and YN."
"What about us?" Meier asked. I got very curious.
"It's no secret that you two have been spending a lot of time together lately..."
"Yes..." Meier replied.
"And it's also no secret that there is a spark of romantic between you two, everybody notices that..."
"Victor, I know what you're going to say.. but I love YN very much and I don't care that she's human! I'll never let her go no matter what you and the people want!" Meier stated. So that's what it was all about... me being a human and Meier a vampire.. they wanted to separate us. I could live with that. It was going to be even better this way! Me and Meier only friends! Yes!
"You are wrong, Meier." Victor replied "We don't want to separate you." WHAT?
"What, really?" he replied.
"Yes. On the contrary, we want you to get married." my jaw dropped and I jumped from my seat.
"WHAT?" I couldn't control myself.
"Please, sit down, YN." Victor said to me. "Let me finish..." I looked at Meier's face and he looked kind of happy... "I know you're used to living in the modern world of yours, in which humans do all kinds of things without taking responsibility about them, but we are vampires and this is the City of Night! We have our own rules as vampires and it is unacceptable for you two to be having an affair without marriage! This is against the rules! Not to even mention that Meier Link is our leader and king!" I couldn't believe what I was hearing... "We can't let our king have bad image in front of the people! If you, Meier, want to be with a girl, you can't just do it.. you have to marry her first, you're the king, don't forget that!"
"Victor is absolutely right." one of the other vampires jumped in "We got over the fact that YN is a human and accepted that, but we cannot accept that type of behavior you two have been showing lately! You two have to get married!" I felt as if I was going to faint right there.
"You've been going out in public, holding hands and things like that.. you were also together at the ball, everyone knows that Meier has been coming to your room almost every night, YN..." Victor said.
"It's not what you're thinking!" I replied to him quickly "We only talk, we are good friends!"
"Well, that doesn't seem like a friendship to me!"
"Meier, please tell them.." I turned to him "They've got it all wrong!"
"I.." Meier spoke, but it seemed to me like he was lost for words.
"Meier Link, " Victor said "YN, you two have to take responsibility for the things you've done! This is the world of vampires and you have to abide by our rules!"
"I will marry YN." Meier Link blurted out.
"Very well. YN, will you marry Meier Link?" they all focused their eyes on me, waiting for an answer. I suddenly felt tightness around my chest and it was becoming hard for me to breathe. "YN?" the vampire insisted on my reply, but I couldn't speak. I got up from my chair and run to my room as fast as I could, leaving the vampires behind.

Everybody was looking in a weird way at me as I was running towards my room, but I didn't care. I got into it, shut the door behind me and collapsed on the floor.

What had I gotten myself into?