Ch. 35 Ball

Author's POV

Gilbert was laying two feet under ground, buried in the cold dirt of the garden of his master, Dracula. After he and the other vampires, who were responsible for the state he, his master and YN were in, had deeply regretted their actions which lead to such misfortunes, helped Gilbert to transport the body of their sleeping king back to his peaceful castle.

They placed him in his room which was at the very top of the castle and there he stood, laying in his bed, sleeping. The wind was slowly blowing the long, thick curtains of his room and gently caressing his face, but he couldn't feel any of it. The room was silent as a graveyard and only the birds could be heard from time to time as they flew around.

Gilbert then buried himself for it was the fastest way for a werewolf to heal its wounds and regain back strength which he so badly needed and wanted right now, so that he could start looking for a way up to the city of night.

Gilbert didn't care about what other vampires told him. He was very determined to get to the city of night and deeply believed this was possible! The only thing he wasn't sure of, was whether or not to go alone there or awaken his master first, which was another problem. How to wake Dracula up? Once a vampire fell in slumber it was very hard to return them back from the world of dreams. How was Gilbert going to do that? Where was he going to start from? He had many questions going through his mind as he was resting and regaining his strength. However, the only thing he knew for sure was that a few more days were needed for his body to heal completely and then he was going to rise and start looking for a way out of this.

Only one thing he wondered, what was Dracula going to do if he woke up and didn't find YN next to him?

Meanwhile, Michael's brother Meier Link was preparing for the annual ball at his castle in the city of night. It was held to celebrate the existence of the vampires at this city, their friendship and abilities to be an unit, far away from the earth. It was also held to remind them that the earth existed, because after being away for so many years, you slowly start to forget about it and the people, especially the new born vampire children, who have never before seen the planet earth.

Meier Link was walking around the ball room just to make sure that everything was looking flawless. However, this time he didn't stay until the end of the preparations.

He wanted to go see YN. He grabbed the box from his chamber and headed towards hers.

He gently knocked at the door and then entered. He found her on the terrace, looking towards the sparkling stars as usual, sad, with wet eyes, thinking about Dracula.

It hurt him beyond words to watch her beautiful face wearing the mask of misery. If he could only do something to cheer her up...

"May I?" she turned around at the sound of his voice and her eyes stopped at the box in his hands.
"Yes..." he had stopped asking her how she was for it was only reminding her of her poor fate.
"I came to inform you about the ball tonight."
"I've heard. Have fun." she looked at him and gave him one fake smile.
"We will have fun!" he corrected her. "I want you to come too."
"Meier Link, thank you, but I'm not in the mood for parties... "
"YN, please. It would be worse if you stayed here! And I'm sure that my brother would have wanted you to be happy..." this was the only way to get YN to do things - Michael. Meier Link had been keeping YN alive only by saying this to her 'Michael would have wanted you to be happy, or eat..'. "YN, please come. You will get distracted, you will learn our culture. At least for a few hours." she sighed, not sure of what to do.
"Meier Link, I don't fit in this world with vampires!"
"Yes, you do!" he walked closer to her so that he could see her better. "Everyone has started to like you here!" the wind blew her hair and Meier Link inhaled deeply so as to pamper his lungs with the sweet aroma of her body. The scent of humans felt so good! Almost intoxicating.
"But I don't even have a dress!" she said.
"I wouldn't be so sure!" he opened the box in front of her to reveal a beautiful dress for the ball. "Do you like it?" he asked.
"Oh, it's beautiful! I don't know what to say..." she took it in her hands to examine it closely.
"Say you'll attend the ball." he smiled gently at her with eyes filled with hope.
"Alright..." YN didn't want to disappoint him, nor she wanted to look ungrateful for the help that Meier Link had provided. Her heart was aching, but she decided to go for Meier Link's sake.

YN spent the rest of the day getting ready for the ball and when the time came, she attended it.

Unlike what she had previously thought, the vampires welcomed her warmly there and a group of children vampires surrounded her, and started asking questions about the earth. YN told them everything about it and they were fascinated with the sun she talked of.
"It's bright, yellow and warm!" they all had their mouths dropped in amazement, listening about the fire ball "It makes our skin feel warm. There is no sun here, so it's cold all the time!"

"Ladys and gentlemen!" Meier Link suddenly begun "I would like to open this year's ball" everyone focused their eyes on him to listen to his speech "by saying that it's been a pleasure to be with you and although we are far away from the earth, I've been able to feel happy thanks to your company!" everyone started clapping. "Thank you, friends!" he said "Please, enjoy and let the ball begi-"
"Wait!" Adamus suddenly spoke. "I would like to say something too!" everyone averted their eyes on him. "Me and my friend YN, just got here." YN rolled her eyes at the word 'friend' "A few days ago, we didn't even know if this place existed or not, but now, we are so happy that we met you guys." YN started to think that there was something weird with Adamus's melancholic speech. Was he planning something evil again? "However, my point is that this ball is for the earth and the life there with.. the people. As we all know, YN is a human from the earth! Therefore, Meier Link and YN should do the first dance to open the ball!" everyone looked at YN and then Meier Link.

YN was like frozen and didn't know what Adamus was trying to do with this.

"Don't you think so, my friends?" he added and to YN's utmost surprise everyone agreed with Adamus. YN didn't want to do this, nor to be in the middle of attention. Meier Link seemed to suddenly become clumsy and nervous.
"Oh I don't really dance.." YN hurried to apologize in order to get out of this, but the guests urged her more into it! They said that she was human and their honorable guest! Everyone begun clapping their hands and the orchestra begun playing the instruments.

The middle of the ball room got cleared up as everyone moved backwards creating a free circle in the middle for Meier Link and YN to dance. Adamus pushed Meier Link forward in the middle of the circle and now there was no turning back.

Meier Link and YN's eyes met for a second and YN felt a few hands on her back which pushed her forward in the circle towards Meier Link. Now the two of them were in the middle of attention and everyone waited for them to open the ball with a dance.