Ch. 40 The legend

"The only thing that I know about the city of night... and I'm not sure of it, I've only heard about it many years ago, is that there is a diamond..."
"A diamond?"
"Yes, the diamond of pure love... a legend..."

My eyes glistened with hope suddenly and I felt my dead heart skip a beat just like it did for YN when I first saw her.

"What legend?" I asked impatiently. 
"They say there was a vampire... a woman, who was in love with a man. Their love was very strong and they were about to get married, until the woman's family decided to go to the city of night. The man's family wanted to remain here and both families forbid their children to be together... in the end they got separated."
"And what does this have to do with that diamond you mentioned?" if this witch was playing with me, I was going to kill her.
"They say he gave her a blue diamond as a symbol of his love, but she cut it in two and gave the other half to him, so that they would be together forever. I've heard from other witches that this diamond wasn't an ordinary diamond... It had some kind of spell on it done by a witch many, many centuries ago."
"And how is it connected to the city of night? If this is some kind of joke..."
"No, it's not! It's the truth! They say she has one half in the city with her and the other half must be here on earth! I've heard that if two people fall in love and one is up there and one down here, and if they find the diamonds they can open the portal between our planet and the city of night..."

Was this real? Could she be telling the truth?

"So what you mean is that if YN finds the one half of the diamond and if I find the other half, then we can be together again?"
"Yes, but I don't know if this 100% accurate.. Some witches say it's a legend, others say it's true... But one thing I know for sure, there is no other way to open the portal..."
"I must try then! We must find the blue diamond! We're going to search the entire planet if we have to, but I want that diamond!"
"But, Dracula..." one of the vampires asked "How do you know if YN will find the other half? I don't want to discourage you, but the probability she does is almost zero! She doesn't even know about this legend!"
"You're right, but we have to try! I don't know where she is and I don't know what she's doing right now, but I have hope. I believe we well meet again soon! We have to try!" my heart was telling me to fight and to look for that diamond.

Even if this story sounded crazy, it felt like a sunray to me! It enlightened me with hope and filled me with dreams to see my beloved again!

"Not so fast, Michael..." the witch said and I looked at her with worried eyes. "This will work only if your love is real. If your YN doesn't love you enough or is having second thoughts about you, then..."
"She loves me! She does!" fear took over me for a second. 
"If you are so sure..."
"Of course I am! Where should we start searching?" I asked her.

YN's POV

I've been feeling this uneasiness inside me ever since I've found that diamond. I felt as if I had stolen it, even though the woman kind of... gave it to me. Or should I say the statue... I didn't know what to do. I wanted to tell Meier about it, but I was scared he would accuse me of stealing or laying to him! 

I didn't know what else to do, but return to that cave and maybe give it back to the woman-statue before someone noticed I had the diamond with me. What if that diamond was meant to stay there? What if it belonged to this city and its citizens and I violated the rules by taking it?

Meier Link felt its energy and I was sure that sooner or later, he was going to find out about it. Therefore, I decided to return it back there, where it belonged tonight!

So I sneaked out of the castle, well didn't really sneak out, I just tried to make sure I looked pretty normal and if someone asked me where I was going, my answer would be "For a stroll". 

However, when I got to the cave and went inside, I found something that made me freeze like ice...

The statue of the woman was destroyed.

It looked like as if it had exploded and the whole floor was covered in its pieces. 

I squeezed the diamond in my pocket tightly, not knowing what to do next. I had no idea what the meaning of that was... Did someone break the statue on purpose? And why would anybody do that?

Maybe they came to look for the diamond and when they didn't find it, they broke the statue in their anger... What would they do if they knew I had stolen it? Oh Lord... I think I got myself into a lot of trouble... I shouldn't have taken that diamond in the first place! What was I going to do now?

I looked around and hoped that no one saw me come here. I decided it'd be best if I just kept the diamond, returned home and hidden it somewhere in my room until I decided what to do with it.

However, when I returned and opened the door of my room, I found Meier Link standing there.

"Meier?" I couldn't hide the diamond with him in the room.
"Hi..." he said, almost whispered "May I talk to you?"
"Of course, how about after dinner?" I needed him to leave so I could hide it!
"No. It can't wait. We have to talk now." then before I knew it, he went over to the door and closed it. He did it so fast, I couldn't comprehend it! Then he suddenly stood in front of me, appearing out of nowhere and looked into my eyes. "I can't wait anymore..." he said.