Chapter 16

For the next three days Alaricas slept, not once did he open his eyes. Throughout the nights I would lay beside him, calming him down from whatever nightmare was torturing him.

Each day the bond grew stronger, I could feel all his emotions. During his nightmares I could feel the large waves of fear, it wrapped around me until I had to block the bond. Whenever I touched him sparks would ignite between us. My wolf would howl in either joy when he relaxed because of our touch or in pain when he was screaming.

He went from whimpering to screaming, which caused him to choke on the breathing tube. The doctor was relieved when he was breathing on his own with the oxygen mask. Everyone was glad to see a good improvement. Now, we're just waiting for him to wake up.

I sighed as I gently stroked his cheek, my head resting on my hand and my mind full of thoughts. I sometimes found myself quietly crying at the thoughts of him dying. The guilt slowly ate away at me, driving me nuts. I would silently pray that he would live so I can apologize and know the truth.

His brother was often in the room, but now had to take over the pack since there was no one else. Him and Cain would often switch, giving each other an equal amount of time to rest.

The doctor, Cain's mate, would stay in the room during the day and watch over Alaricas. If it wasn't for her, he would have died from the breathing tube. Times like these I'm thankful for her constant worrying.

I sighed and stood up, needing to grab something to eat before I pass out. I went to walk away when someone suddenly grabbed my wrist.

I snapped my attention over to Cain's mate who seemed stunned. I then slowly looked at Alaricas to see his eyes open. He was looking at me with tired yet pained eyes, silently pleading me to stay.

After staring at him for a good minute I smiled and gently hugged him. He was shocked, but eventually relaxed and hugged me back.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "I'm so sorry."

I smiled as I cupped his face, "We'll talk about it when you're better."

He frowned, "B-but I abused you."

"I know, but now isn't the time to talk about that. You can explain the curse later."

His eyes widened, "Y-you know?"

"Yes, Eduardus told me. I'm just confused right now, not angry. Now, you need to rest. Okay? I'm going to grab something to eat."

"Wait...Jefferson...h-he's going to-

"He's dead." I quickly stated.

He blinked, "How?"

"Cain killed him."

He relaxed and started to close his eyes, "I-I have a lot I want to tell you."

I just watched him as he fell asleep again, visibly relaxing against the pillows.