Chapter 46

Alaricas POV

I woke up to Jolene crying beside me, I frowned and pulled her close. Ever since we left the infirmary, she has been terrified. Going past the family room was a huge nope, considering that was the room she was punched in.

I was disgusted by my so called parents, they don't even deserve to be called my parents. They abused me, hoping it would some how scare the demon out of me. Why not find another witch? Why not find Lilith, it took me a few months to find her. They're complete idiots who crave the pain of others.

I sighed as she sobbed harder, I wanted to stop her pain, but I couldn't. I didn't know how. So, I did the only thing I can do, I pulled her even closer and kept kissing her.

"It's okay, baby. It's okay." I whispered.

It took her an hour and a half to calm down, when she did, she just laid there. She stared at my chest with empty eyes and pale skin. I silently ran my fingers through her hair. What the hell did they do my beautiful mate?

"Go to sleep, Princess. It'll get better." I urged.

She slowly looked at me, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be waking you up with my crying."

I smiled sadly and kissed her on the forehead, "I'm glad your cries woke me up. I don't want to be in a peaceful sleep while my mate is suffering beside me. What's bothering you?"

She was quiet for a moment, she released a breath after a few moments.

"I had a nightmare about you abusing me and then Jefferson killing you and your parents attacking me..." She trailed off as her voice cracked.

I quickly soothed her, "It's okay, I'm right here. Jefferson is dead and my parents are forbidden to enter the packhouse."

She groaned and cuddled against me, I chuckled at her cuteness. I kissed her once more before tightening my arms around her.

"Goodnight, baby." I whispered.

"Goodnight, prince." She yawned.

I chuckled at her nickname for me, goddess, I love this woman. When I knew she was asleep, I studied her. I had to make sure that bruise was gone, if not, she's going back to the infirmary. I sighed in relief when I didn't see it anywhere on her face.

I rested my head on her's, thinking about what had happened yesterday. I know she was secretly struggling with her PTSD, I just didn't know how to get her to admit it. Now, she's suffering because my asshole parents had to punch and shove her.

I should of been able to protect her, but instead, I was curled up on the couch like the coward I am. I'm beyond disappointed with myself, I couldn't believe I actually allowed this to happen to her.

"I promise, I'll always protect you." I whispered.

"No matter what."