Chapter 55

I paced the room, trying to figure out how to get the document from him. My only way is probably breaking into his house. I could ask him to show me it, but I wasn't sure on how that would turn out.

I pursed my lips, I don't have to necessarily have to break into his house. I could easily befriend Amelia and walk in as a friend. If he does ask, I can just tell him it's part of the plan.

I sighed, I really hope this will work. Amelia seems to not hate me anymore, so becoming her friend shouldn't be hard. Plus, I do actually want to be her friend. Considering she's going to be my sister-in-law. I'll have to explain this all to her first, I don't want her thinking I'm using her. Even though I am, in a way.

I threw my hair into a bun before walking back outside. I noticed Eduardus was helping with training while Amelia was watching from the porch. Perfect.

I gulped and sat beside her, she gave me a soft smile before focusing on the training again.

I bit my lip, how do I explain this without sounding like a bitch? I sighed and watched the training for a bit.

"Thank you, for helping me realize I love Eduardus." She suddenly spoke.

I smiled, "You're welcome, I didn't want you two losing each other. It felt horrible when I almost lost Alaricas without apologizing to him."

"I don't know what I would have done if I continued hurting him. Goddess, if he died...I wouldn't be able to live with myself. It would have been all my fault."

I nodded in understanding, I chewed on my lip for a second.

"I need your help." I spoke.

"I'm warning you, my dad is weirdly smart. He's very observent, you have to act natural." She instructed.

I nodded and took a deep breath, "I can do that."

We walked into her house, it was quiet and peaceful. I studied it as we walked through the halls. It was bright, it felt like home, even though the "man of the house" wasn't as...pleasant.

"Mom! Dad! I'm home!" Amelia called.

"My dad came home early." She mumbled.

We stepped into the kitchen to see a woman cooking. She was pale and very thin, Amelia gave her a sad look.

"Mom, where's dad?" She asked.

The woman looked up, she smiled at me.

"He went to the store a few minutes ago. We needed milk." She answered.

"Then eat something, he won't know." Amelia urged.

"Li, I can't. You know that and if he finds out you're helping me, then you'll get hurt too."

I frowned, "He abuses you?"

They both looked at me with defeated expression, except, there was relief in Amelia's eyes. She did this on purpose, she wants me to know.

"Eat. He can't do anything to me and if he beats you, come to the packhouse. Alaricas will protect you two." I ordered.

Her mother bowed her head and smiled, "Thank you, Luna."

An hour later, Amelia's mother had some food. She was acting somewhat better, but she was still weak. Amelia and I searched her father's office, but found nothing.

Amelia had asked me about the incident and I explained it to her. I never meant to do it, his aunt attacked me and I was newly shifted. I had little to no control over my wolf. I never meant to kill her.

Now, two years later, I still feel extremely guilty. Knowing she was like the mother Alaricas never had, I felt even worse.

"Dinner is done!" Her mother called.

We both left his office and scurried down the stairs. I almost froze when I saw her father sitting at the table. A newspaper in hid hands and a document, under his arm.

Once they heard us, he placed his paper down and gave me a smug look. I kept on a blank look as I took my plate.

There was a tense silence that washed over us. Halfway through, her brother burst through the door. He glanced at me, furrowing his eyebrows. He smiled at us and disappeared upstairs.

"I'm guessing he'll eat later." Amelia's mother mumbled as she made another plate.

Her father rolled his eyes, "Of course he will, idiot. No need to state the obvious."

I was stunned by his cruel tone, how can he speak to his mate like that? Amelia sighed and took another bite of steak.

I shook my head as her father snapped his gaze to me. People like him disgust me.