Chapter 33

"Actually, quite the opposite." I snapped, standing before Cain and Alaricas.

He's not getting close to either one of them, he has done enough to those close to me. I glanced quickly at Cain to see him barely awake, I mentally cussed when I saw that his wounds weren't healing.

"He won't heal without anyone's help. He has silver in his system." Jefferson smirked.

I gritted my teeth, "What do you want?"

"I want to be alpha. Alaricas doesn't deserve it. Oh, and revenge." He growled.

"When he was depressed I took that as my chance to get rid of him. But you ruined my plans."

I smirked, "Sorry not sorry."

"Why are you protecting him anyway? He abused you." Jefferson snarled.

"Because it wasn't his fault that he abused me. I can't blame him when he didn't do anything."

"You love him."

I frowned, "No...not yet. At least."

Jefferson chuckled, "Such a shame that you can't understand your own emotions. If you didn't love him then you wouldn't be here, trying to protect him."

"I care about him, not love him. There's a difference." I growled.

I could feel Alaricas' hurt through the bond when I said that. I didn't mean for it to have a harsh edge to it, but it's the truth. I don't love Alaricas, I just care a lot for him.

Jefferson tilted his head, I could see a scar from where Cain slit his throat. He sighed and looked at Cain.

"I hope he dies. He deserves it for what he did to me." He growled.

I raised an eyebrow, "You got exactly what you deserved."

"Did I?"

I rolled my eyes at him, he's like that alpha Eli guy. I smirked, maybe I should send Jefferson to King Dimitri. I'm sure he would enjoy getting rid of this bastard.

"I did what I did because he killed my mate. She was a rogue, but she was beautiful. Of course Alaricas didn't care, he just snapped her neck in front of me. He forgot about her, as if she were dirt on his shoe." Jefferson whispered.

"I loved her."

I swallowed, "Alaricas...did you know she was his mate?"

"No...if he told me then I wouldn't have killed her." Alaricas answered.

I could hear the guilt in his voice, I quickly glanced at him. He was watching with honest eyes, eyes that also held remorse.

Jefferson laughed, "You would have killed her anyway! You're a man that's incapable of love, you claim you love Jolene, but you don't even know what love is!"

"Yes I do, my uncle-

"Your uncle didn't love you, he pitied you. There's a difference between those wonderful feelings. He felt bad for his bastard nephew and decided to make him happier. He never once loved you. I heard him talking to my father about it."

I frowned at the honesty flowing through his words and shining in his eyes. I clenched my jaw, he was being serious this time.

Alaricas sucked in a breath as if Jefferson had physically hurt him. I turned around to make sure he was okay.

"I have a better way of getting my revenge though."

We both frowned when I felt claws going through my back. I let out a pained cry that mixed with Jefferson's laughter. Before Alaricas could feel my pain, I blocked the bond and fell to the ground.

I let out a grunt of pain as I attempted to crawl away from Jefferson. I stiffened when he stepped onto my back, causing the wounds to hurt even more.

"Don't worry, I'll be nice and let you have a funeral for her. Even though you wouldn't allow us to hold a funeral for my mate." Jefferson sneered.

I cried out again when he clawed my back a second time, going the opposite way. I could feel my blood soaking my shirt and dripping onto the ground.

His weight suddenly left my back and Alaricas disappeared from in front of me. I slowly turned my head to see Alaricas pinning Jefferson against the wall.

A smirk was plastered on his face, "If you want your mate so bad, I'll happily reunite you with her."