Chapter 40

Alaricas smiled nicely at the waitress, "I would love for you to stop flirting with me. Whatever you're trying to do isn't working. I'm on a date with my girl and I would appreciate it, if you could quit it. And please, don't touch me either."

I bit my lip to keep myself from smirking at her stunned face. Alaricas sighed and grabbed the menus from her hands, scowling at her frozen form.

"And tell your manager that we want a different waitress." He ordered.

Anger suddenly glowed in her eyes as she raised her hand. I panicked, I am not letting this idiot ruin Alaricas' progress with strangers. I don't need our date ruined just because she can't get what she wants.

I quickly grabbed her wrist before she could lay a finger on him. Alaricas was completely frozen as he watched her hand. By his posture, I knew he was ready to run.

"If you hit him, I will personally see to it that you lose your job. Got it?" I snarled.

She glared at me, "I don't care about my job!"

I rolled my eyes, "Do you have health insurance?"

She seemed taken aback by my sudden question, but nodded.

"Good. You're going to need it if you don't step away from my boyfriend." I smirked.

She quickly snatched her wrist away from me and stormed off. Telling some blond haired woman to go to our table. I sighed and sat back down, I frowned when I saw Alaricas scoot away from the blond woman. He looked down at the table with fearful eyes, his whole body was extremely tense.

The young woman gave us a sympathetic look.

"I'm so sorry about her, she's known to flirt with any man who walks in. The girl is desperate for a boyfriend. And I'm so sorry she raised her hand at your boyfriend." She apologized.

I smiled warmly at her, "It's fine."

"What would you two like to drink?" She asked.

Alaricas relaxed as he grabbed his menu and looked at it. He then pursed his lips. I sighed and looked at the waitress.

"I'll have a water with no lemon." I voiced.

She nodded, "And you, sir?"

Alaricas frowned, "I'll have a water with a lemon."

"Huh, opposites do attract." She chuckled.

"Appetizers?"

I looked at Alaricas, he shook his head at me. I scanned the menu swiftly before shaking my head as well.

"No thank you."

"Very well, I'll be back with your drinks."

As she walked away I glanced at Alaricas. He seemed deep in thought as he stared at the menu. I smiled a little, I guess we have some more progress with him. He's actually starting to realize who's a threat and who isn't.

I picked up my own menu and looked over the meals. Once I finally figured out what I wanted, I placed my menu down.

We both smiled at waitress as she handed us our drinks. She placed the tray down and took out her small notepad.

"Okay, who's first?" She questioned.

"Jo, you can go first." Alaricas grinned.

I chuckled, "I'll have a steak, rare."

"Side?"

"Mashed potatoes with butter and no gravy."

She nodded, "And for you?"

"I'll have a cheeseburger with fries. Can I have cheddar cheese on the fries?" He asked.

"Yes, sir."

She finished writing it down and grabbed the tray, "Your order should be done soon."

We thanked her before she walked over to another table. As I sipped on my water I watched the waitress from before. She continued to flirt with other men who walked in, no matter their relationship status. I shook my head at her, doesn't she think at all?

All of the men just rolled their eyes at her before smiling at their dates. I frowned when one man completely ignored his woman and gave the waitress his number.

I felt bad for his date, she had a hurt expression on her face, but sat with him anyway.

She attempted to talk to him, but he just glared at her before looking at his phone. She finally gave up and just stared out the window until a waiter took their orders.

"You okay?"

I turned my attention to a concerned Alaricas. I smiled.

"Yeah, I just feel bad for the woman over there. That man doesn't seem like the most faithful guy." I sighed.

"Maybe they're not boyfriend and girlfriend? Maybe she's a business partner who has a crush on him." Alaricas replied.

I shrugged, "I guess so. I shouldn't be creeping."

He chuckled as my cheeks heated up, I flashed him a playful glare before sighing.

"So, how are you feeling with being around so many people?" I asked.

He bit his lip, "I'm still scared and I panic a little, but it's getting better. What about you?"

"Me? Oh, I'm fine." I assured him, even though I silently prayed no one would raise their hand towards me.

I can't let Alaricas see how weak I truly am, I have to be strong for him. I struggle with it every now and then, but I've been struggling for six months now. I barely flinch anymore, unless it's a stranger.

He gave me an unconvinced look, "Jo, you don't have to be strong in front of me. I'm your mate, I don't want you hiding your true feelings from me."

I stared at him and looked down, "I'm trying."

"I know, baby girl."

I smiled once more before taking a sip of my water. I noticed the woman from before, get up and walk into the bathroom. I sighed and placed my water down.

I hate being so curious sometimes.