Twenty Four - Old Mate

Chapter Twenty Four

“You look beautiful,” Daniel told me as I was sitting on the Dining table along with everyone.

I frowned at no one in particular. It’s not every day that I get complements from someone. It feels strange getting them from Daniel now. Suddenly, he is like someone else for me. He’s no longer my mate and I don’t feel any connection to him.

“Why, thank you.” I said in a low voice and he smiled at me.

After spending a night in the dungeons, he was acting more humanly. The craziness of his wolf had disappeared. Blue eyes stared at me with affection. It was completely weird getting those looks from him. I wanted to blindfold him.

Vladimir didn’t say anything to Daniel. He was enjoying my condition. I wanted to slap him in the face. Actually, I wanted to slap Kyle first. He had apologized for calling Daniel but that didn’t change the fact that he had actually called trouble for me.

Kyle apologized to us in front of everyone for putting us in dungeons. Vladimir let that slide. He had more important matter in hand and that was to find the heir of royal blood. He was way too serious of his task. And it was not good news to me.

After breakfast, Vladimir and others left for training while I was still in the pack house. I went to the library and decided to read a book. While I was walking around the place, I saw a figure moving. Frowning, I followed the scent. It was someone from Kyle’s pack. I moved around the a shelf and came face to face with Kyle’s mate.

“Destiny?”

Her eyes widened when she noticed that I had caught her. Why was she following me?

“Hi Sera,” she laughed nervously. “What are you doing here?”

I assessed her with pointed eyes. “I came here to read a book. What are you doing here?”

“Just like you. To read a book.” She lied smoothly. I wondered what was going inside her head. Her eyes were shifting in nervousness and her left hand was shaking at her sight. Her tense posture screamed that she was hiding something.

“Why were you following me?” I asked straight out and her eyes widened.

“I-I- wh-what? I was not following y-you.” He denied vehemently.

“I don’t believe you. But I who am I to accuse you. You are, after all, Alpha’s mate.” I told her with cold voice. She was hiding things from me and I didn’t like it.

“And you are his lover,” she muttered. If I was not a vampire, I wouldn’t have been able to hear her. The shocking words left her mouth taking me off guard momentarily. I shouldn’t be surprised but still, I don’t like to be called anyone’s lover.

“I’m not his lover. I never was. I have my own mate.” I made clear.

“But he loves you.” She looked at me with sad eyes, tears brimming in them. “He loves you. Even though he has accepted me as his mate, he still loves you.”

“Then make him love you. It won’t be difficult considering you are his mate. You don’t look like an airhead to me so use your brain. He will come to love you eventually.”

She blinked her teary eyes at me and swept away the tears that had rolled down her cheeks.

“I will.” She said with determination. “I will make him love me.”

“That’s the spirit of a Luna. I have to read a book now. Stop following me and instead follow your mate.”

“Thank you.” A smile lit up on her face and she nodded. “And I’m sorry.” She apologized. I forgave her and she left.

Kyle’s mate was cute. He had broken her so much with his previous actions that she didn’t believe she could get him. All she needed was a little push.

I searched around the library for a book. It was huge and I loved moving around. It’s been a long time since I’ve last read a book. That might be around the time when I was still in high school, crushing on Daniel.

But that’s past. Now I’ve moved on. Daniel is a history who tries to become my present also. But my feelings for him are surely historical.

I picked a book and started reading it. It was some ancient story about how werewolves come to find their mates. I had only read a couple of pages when another scent hit me. It was Daniel.

I was sitting on the chair when two hands we placed on my eyes. It felt so weird and I was uncomfortable. But the things is… is he stupid. Can’t he understand that I don’t want to be with him? Over the time, it has got annoying.

“Daniel, what are you doing?” I asked calmly closing the book.

He let go off my face but then trailed his index finger along my cheek.

“Enjoying a little time with my mate.” He whispered in my ear and then kissed just below it. My body shuddered in disgust. I could feel his smirk against my skin. This is getting out of hand now.

I abruptly stood up from the chair and glared at him. He only smirked at me.

“What the hell are you doing? Stay away from me Daniel. And you are not my mate. My mate is Vladimir.” I told him through gritted teeth. How dare he touch me?

My mate is Vladimir. That leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

His smirk fell and he narrowed his eyes at me. Taking a few step towards me, he stopped only when there was distance of a feet between us. I refused to back down and he refused to stop. I placed my hand on his chest to stop him from moving forward. He shivered at the touch.

I felt confused. Did he still feel the bond? The rejection should have worked but looks like it didn’t. Not in his case.

“Daniel, leave.” I gritted out.

“But I don’t want to. If I leave this place, I will do it with you.” He said huskily and then suddenly pushed me to bookshelf. I could have stopped him but just then I heard a movement that caught my attention off him.

His body was pressed against mine and I didn’t like it at all. But if I push him away now then he will come back. There needs to be other way. Be quick.

I weakly tried to push Daniel away but his hands caught my wrist and pinned them above my head.

“Leave me!” I shouted.

Just then the door of the library burst open and Vladimir walked in. He took in the scene and looked surprised when he caught sight of me struggling in Daniel’s arm.

“Vladimir! Help!” I shouted. On hearing Vladimir’s name, Daniel stepped away from me and growled while my so-called mate looked confused. Then he raised his eyebrows at me as if saying ‘what did you do this time?’

Daniel’s wolf was in control. The next moment, he was shifting into his wolf and attacking Vladimir. Vladimir was quick enough to get out of his way. Daniel slipped and slammed against the wall with a loud thud. I heard several footsteps heading in our direction. The help was coming.

Daniel’s wolf stood up in its fours and growled at Vladimir flashing razor sharp teeth dripping with saliva. Something was wrong with the picture. I knew that. Do werewolves salivate this much? It’s like a wolf having rabies.

There was another thing I noticed, the color of Daniel’s eyes. There was a red tint to them.

He jumped on Vladimir again who rolled out of his way. Daniel smashed against a shelf of books and it fell. The sound was so loud that my ears were ringing. Just then, the guard burst through the door.

When they noticed that a wolf was in the library, an insane wolf, they jumped into action and transformed into their wolf forms. All of them surrounded Daniel and then attacked him. I was watching from sidelines. Vladimir had disappeared from the scene.

A few seconds later, Kyle entered. He looked concerned. Destiny entered behind him.

“What happened here?” He asked as he noticed the condition of his beautiful library.

“This werewolf attacked the lady.” The guard told Kyle as he pointed at me.