Preface: Before It Happened

KIKI

Finally- summer is here, and I won't have to deal with those bloodsuckers for three months. It'll just be us and La Push. It's gonna be great.

"Kiki, I'm going to Sam's, you coming?" Embry asks from my doorway. I look up at my brother and smirk.

"Hell yeah!" I reply jumping off of my bed- I have a bunk bed, only there isn't a bottom bunk it's desk space. I'm thinking about just making the bed and the desk two separate things. I slide on my flip flops and pull my long ass hair into a ponytail.

"No getting into trouble you two!" Dad yells once we're in the truck.

"No promises!" We yell back in unison before driving down the road.

"When will he realize that we are the worst troublemakers ever?" I mutter.

"Probably never." Embry scoffs. I smirk and stare out the main glass.

"I'm driving home." I state. He rolls his eyes.

"Who said we were gonna come home?" He glances at me.

"Well, then I drive next time we go somewhere." I say drumming my fingers on the dash. I look around before taking off my seatbelt.

"What are you doing?" Embry asks as I climb out of the back window.

"Not caring." I smirk before climbing up on the cab and crouching.

"Get down, you're gonna get yourself killed!!!" He yells out his window. I stare ahead and he continues on. We get to Sam's driveway and I slowly stand. He gets close enough to the house to where I'll walk and I flip off, landing on the porch. Embry gets out and storms toward me. "What the hell were you thinking!?!?!" He yells in my face.

"I was thinking- that I figured I could have some fun." I smirk in his face.

"What if you didn't land? What if you fell off? What if-"

"Enough with the what ifs Embry- leave her alone." Sam cuts him off.

"She-"

"Enough!" Sam booms. I slightly flinch at the loudness but then smirk at my brother.

"Thank you, Sam." I pat his shoulder before walking I to the house.

"Hey! There she is!" Emily beams greeting me with a hug.

"Hey!" I squeeze back.

"You have to tell how everything went today. I hope you didn't start too many fights." She drags me to the living room and we sit on the couch.

"I didn't start any fights, but I don't think the Cullens will mess with me next year." I state. "I got my message across to them."

"Oh- you graduate next year!" She squeaks. I nod.

"Yeah, I do." I smile.

∅∅∅

Everything in my body shuts down. My limbs become weak and tears want to form in my eyes, but they can't.

"What do you mean mom's dead? She was perfectly fine this morning!" Embry asks. Dead.

"I'm sorry, she's dead." Dead. No, she's not. "She's gone." My head spins and my body gives out.

"Woah!!! Kiki?" I hear just as something catches me and it all goes blank.