45. Fire versus Water

KIKI

I felt gravity release its hold on me and I let out a loud sob. Flames engulf me and my mind shuts down.

"WAKE UP!!!" I scream. "WAKE UP!!!" I slam my hands against a wall. "No! No no no! WAKE UP!!!" I press my head against a panel of glass as my flesh continues to melt away. I press my hands against it and make my eyes glow. "Wake up." I poke it gently and glass rains down.

I gasp awake and find myself in a box. I look toward my feet and see a small crack of light. I cock my head sideways before flipping my body and crawling toward it. I press against it and it opens to a room with a spotlight and a table in the middle of the room. I try to move forward and flip onto a hard surface. I grunt from the impact and sit up. I hold a hand out in front my me and find my skin in tact. I place a hand against my chest to find a steady beat. The door opens and I crawl back.

"Kiara?" Deaton furrows his brows. I slowly nod. "You're alive?" I nod again. "How?" I shrug. "Do you wanna take a shower?" I nod. "I'll send someone." I nod again. He leaves and I look around slowly.

I'm alive.

Am I alive?

∅∅∅

I let the water run over me. I close my eyes and lean my head against the shower wall. I sniffle and keep my eyes shut.

"Are you okay kiddo?" A nurse asks. I nod before shutting off the water and grabbing a towel. I wrap the towel around me and step out of the shower. "Your dad is on his way up. He brought you clothes." I nod again before sitting in the chair. "What was it like?" She asks sitting across from me.

"It was terrifying." I whisper. Those being the only words to come from my mouth since coming back.

"I'd bet. Do you really see a bright light?" She continues.

"No, it's nothing like they say it is." I shake my head. Someone knocks on the door and she goes to it. They whisper a few thing back and forth.

"That was your dad, here are your clothes." She hands me a pile of clothes and I get dressed. Dad brought me basic bra and underwear, sweatpants, a tank top, a hoodie, fluffy socks, and uggs. It's November, I think, it might be warm in California, but in Forks it'll be cold. Besides, with the bond being broken, I'm going to be cold anyways. "You ready?" I nod and follow her down the hall to my dad. He holds his arms out and I break in his embrace. I cry against his chest with his arms holding me up. He gently rubs my back and kisses my head, staying silent.

"Your brother is out in the car, I didn't know if you'd want to see him or not." Dad finally says.

"Can we leave now? I just really wanna go home." I reply quietly.

"I have to sign a few more papers and then we can sweetie." He states. I nod and wipe away my tears the the sleeve of my hoodie. "Do you want to go sit with Embry while I fill these out?" He asks.

"Yeah." I reply nodding.

"He's coming." He says. "He'll take you back to the car." I nod and bury my head in his shoulder.

∅∅∅

Embry and I both sat in the backseat and Dad kept the radio on. Embry and I sat side by side and his arm stayed around my shoulder. It was raining about the time we made it halfway through Oregon, the sound overlapping the music. Embry's warmth comforted me, but not as much as Jake's would. It's nice being with Embry, but I still miss Jake. It didn't take some magic wolf bond for me to love him. I loved him long before either of us knew about the supernatural. I just want to be home. I want to be back in Forks, back in La Push, back with Jake, back with everything I left behind.