8. Complication

KIKI

I furrow my eyebrows and place a hand on my head. I stand up and walk out to the kitchen. I earn looks of concern from the small group congregating in the living room.

"Kiki, you feeling alright?" Kim asks while standing. I nod.

"Y-yeah, just a headache." I reply grabbing a bottle of water.

"Are you sure? It looks like a lot more than just a headache." Emily says walking with Kim toward me.

"I'm tired- that's all." I state. Emily looks at me questionably. "I'm fine, I swear."

"Kiki, I think you should go sit on the couch so we can keep an eye on you for just a little bit." Kim says.

"Kim's right. We have to keep an eye on you for at least a few hours." Jared states. I roll my eyes and set my water down.

"Guys, I'm okay. Really- it's just a head ache." I turn to go to my room. I start walking to the hall way when a random wave of dizziness hits me. I place a hand on the wall to stabilize myself.

"Kiki, come on. You need to sit down." Sam orders walking toward me. I blink a few times.

"I'm fine- I'm just a little-"

∅∅∅

JACOB

"Is she okay?" I ask.

"She'll be fine, she should be going home soon." Dad replies.

"What happened?" I cross my arms.

"She was complaining that she was tired and that she had a headache- when she went to go to her room she passed out. They weren't going to take her to the hospital until her nose started bleeding." He says.

"What about the fact that our body temperatures are ridiculously high?" I exclaim.

"Her body temperature dropped back to normal when she passed out." He states. "I'll take you to see her when she gets home if she's feeling better." I nod and turn around to go to my room. I stop once I almost get out of the room.

"She'll be okay, right?" I ask.

"She'll be alright." He clarifies. I nod and go to my room.

∅∅∅

KIKI

I climb out of the backseat of Kim's car and walk toward the house. I open the door and head toward my bedroom.

"Kiki, stay out here, you aren't allowed to sleep." Jared orders. I roll my eyes and groan, turning around and walking to the couch.

"Not allowed to be stressed either, but it's a little hard with the way you drive." I retort plopping down in the corner and propping my legs up over the rest of the couch.

"Kiara." He sighs.

"Stop calling me that!" I yell before letting out a sound of annoyance. I blow hot air through my nose and grab the TV remote.

"Kiki, you're going to set yourself off again." He says sternly.

"I'm not. You are. Okay?" I snap. He sighs and walks out side. I flip through the channels trying to find something to watch. I catch a glimpse of Kim walking to the kitchen and then look out the window for a moment. I exhale before returning to the television screen. I groan when nothing is on and shut the TV off. I put the remote down and look at the clock.

5:29

Great. It's only 5:30 this is going to be a long day. I pinch the bridge of my nose and then drop my hand before leaning my head back and groaning.

"I'm going to be forced to deal with people aren't I?" I ask Kim who walks in.

"Why are you being such a Debby Downer?" She retorts with a question. I roll my eyes.

"Well- one: I'm not allowed to go to my room. Two: I haven't even talked to any of the thirty others my age- most of them who either are phasing or did. Three: sitting here with nothing to do is extremely boring." I complain.

"You could go sit on the porch." She suggests.

"And have to put up with Jared? No thanks." I scoff. She rolls her eyes and smiles before going back to the kitchen.

"You're such a girl." I hear a familiar voice tease. I look toward the door and smile at none other than Jacob.

"Say it again and you'll become a girl." I threaten playfully.

"No thanks, I'm good." He holds his hands up in surrender before plopping down beside me. "How are you feeling?" He asks genuinely concerned.

"Better. I guess. I don't know. Just same old same old." I shrug. He smiles slightly.

"Same old, same old. That's always fun." He slightly nudges me in the ribs with his elbows.

"What have you been up to?" I ask.

"Well- I've basically done nothing other than sitting at home bored out of mind. You?" He replies.

"Oh, you know. Absolutely nothing other than seeing how much stupidity I can handle before I snap." I shrug. He laughs at my remark.

"Exactly how much stupidity can you handle?" He asks with a sly smirk.

"A lot." I grumble. He smiles at me, I smile back and nudge him in the ribs slightly. He nudges back. I nudge harder, so does he. I bump my shoulder against his and he smiles wider. I smile wider and the grin plastered on his face.

"What?" He still smiles at me. I hide my face for a moment before looking back at him and shaking my head.

"Nothing."