Cats

"So how was the date?" Sal asked Brian, sitting down at his kitchen table. Brian had come over to Sal's to record their podcast.

"It was good. We went to Angelino's."

"I haven't been there in years. Is it still good?"

"Oh yeah," Brian said, taking a swig of his beer.

"So what happened after dinner? Did you seal the deal?"

"No. We went for a walk and ended up at Willowbrook. Stayed there for a while talking then went home."

Sal stared as his friend in disbelief. "Are you even attracted to this girl?"

"Of course I am. I wouldn't have asked her out otherwise."

"Then I don't understand how you haven't banged her yet."

"Bro," Brian started, "I told you the other day, I don't want to mess this up. I don't want to just fuck her and move on. I really like her."

"That's never stopped you before."

"Yeah, well, it's just different this time. I can't explain it. Stop busting my balls."

"Did you at least kiss her this time?" Sal asked.

"Yes. Are you not getting any so you have to live vicariously through me?"

"Nah, I got some last night. I'm good."

"Are we gonna record this podcast or what?"

"Yeah, let's go." Just as Brian was about to turn the recorder on his phone vibrated on the table. It was Giovanna. A smile spread across his face, which Sal immediately noticed. "Is that her?"

"Yeah," Brian said, reading her text.

"What's it say?"

"None of your fucking business," he said with a smirk. "It's just a hello text." He texted her back to let her know he was in the middle of something and he would call her when he was done. "Alright, to the podcast."

When he got home a few hours later, after feeding his cats, he called her.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Brian. What's going on?"

"Just got in from a walk. What are you up to?"

"Just got home from Sal's. We recorded a podcast. We were just about to start when I got your text."

"Oh I'm sorry. Didn't mean to interrupt."

"No no no," he said, "it's fine. We were just dicking around. So what are you up to tonight?"

"Nothing. Was actually thinking of renting a movie. Haven't done that in a while."

"I have a better idea. Do you want to come over here and watch some old Batman episodes? We could get a pizza, have some beer."

"Ummm, yeah, sure. Sounds fun. What time?"

"7:00?"

"Sounds good. Just text me your address."

"Ok. See you soon."

She pulled up to his house around 7:00. He lived in what seemed to be a nice, quiet neighborhood. She rang the doorbell and he answered almost immediately.

"Hi," he said, smiling widely and stepping back to let her in. "Did you have any trouble finding it?"

"No, and I'm only 15 minutes away."

"Oh that's cool." A cat appeared at her feet. "I forgot to mention I have cats."

"I'm allergic to cats," she said with a straight face.

"Oh shit. I am so sorry. I didn't even..." He trailed off seeing the smile on her face.

"I'm kidding. And I love cats. Who is this?" she asked, crouching down to pet the gray and white cat.

"That's Chessie cat. He's really friendly. I'm not sure where the other two are."

"Three cats? I never would have guessed that about you."

"Why?" he asked with a small laugh.

"I don't know. If I was judging on appearance you don't look like a cat guy."

"Well what does a cat guy look like?"

"I don't know!" she laughed. "Stop hammering me!"

He chuckled. "Alright, sorry. So are you hungry? Want to get pizza now?"

"I'm starving. So yes, now." Once he had placed the order he got them each a beer and they sat on the couch.

"So how did the podcast go?"

"Good. Sal never fails to entertain me."

"Do you ever record here?"

"Not too much. Sal hates and is afraid of cats."

"Even yours?" she asked.

"Yep. He freaks out a little every time he comes over."

"Poor Sal."

"Do you want me to start the show now?" he asked. "Or do you want to wait for the pizza?"

"It doesn't matter to me. Now is fine."

"Do you want to start at the beginning?" he asked getting up.

"Yeah, since I haven't seen it in so long." They commented and laughed at the cheesiness as they watched. The first episode was nearly over by the time the pizza arrived.

They ate and drank and talked as they watched several episodes of the show. Brian found her so easy to talk to and so fun to be around. She really made him laugh and she still made him nervous. He couldn't figure out why that was. As he grew older the less he cared about impressing and chasing after women. But there was something about her...

It was nearing midnight when she decided she should head home. He wanted her to stay with him, but he was hesitant to ask. Up to this point they had done nothing more than kiss. It seemed like a big leap.

"Thank you for a really fun evening," she said as he walked her to the door. "I haven't laughed that hard in a long time."

"I'm glad you had fun. I did too. Hopefully we can do it again soon."

"I'd really like that." She was standing in front of the door and just as he was about to open it she leaned in and kissed him. Her tongue searched for an opening and found it almost immediately. They stayed like that for several minutes, their tongues and bodies intertwined. He smiled at her when they broke apart.

"Talk to you soon," she said, as he opened the door. He stood in the doorway until her car was out of sight.