Chapter 32

It was a few days before she called Chloe again. She wasn't sure how to proceed. She'd decided to get to know her sister, to let her in, but she felt the need to be cautious. When she had finally called she invited Chloe to dinner the next night. She worked in Manhattan and asked if Chloe wanted to meet her for drinks and dinner at 5:30. She'd agreed.

"Hi," she greeted Chloe with a hug. They sat at the bar as they waited for their table.

"Hi. I'm really glad you called."

"Me too. Enough time has been lost. I think we should get to know each other."

"I would love that. So where should we start?"

"Tell me about you."

"What do you want to know?" Chloe asked.

"Everything. Let's see... So you moved out when Olivia did? How did that go over?"

"I don't know. I knew when Olivia was going to be moving out so I started planning ahead. Every day over the course of two weeks I took stuff to Amber's. Mostly clothes. Had to be sneaky about it. Although if she had caught on I don't know what she would have done. Kick me out?" They laughed at that.

"So you moved in with Amber and her family?" Giovanna asked.

"Yes. They knew all about our home life. When I told Amber Olivia was going to move out she begged her parents to let me live with them. So I shared Amber's room and I got a part time job to help cover my expenses."

"Well that's responsible. I'm sure they appreciated that."

"They told me not to worry about it but I did. They didn't have to take me in." Chloe finished off her drink and motioned for the bartender.

"So you got married when you were 20? 21?"

"21," Chloe replied.

"What happened? Why did you get divorced, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Not at all. He cheated on me."

"Ouch."

"Yeah, I have no time for that. Once a cheater, always a cheater."

"I feel the same way," Giovanna said. "What happened with the second husband?"

"He wanted kids. I didn't. He knew that going in and I guess he thought he could change me. When he finally, FINALLY, got it through his head that I wasn't going to change my mind he left."

Just then they were called over the loud speaker to be seated. Once they were settled in they continued their conversation.

"So what kind of work do you do? Or where were you working?"

"I've had many jobs, some of the standards, waitress, barista, but for the last six years I worked in a law firm as a receptionist. I really liked it. I'm hoping to find something like that here."

"Have you had any call backs yet?"

"No," Chloe said. "It's only been a few days but I need to find something quick."

The waitress came to see if they were ready to order but they hadn't even looked at the menu yet. Giovanna had been there before so she gave it a quick glance then ordered. Chloe ordered the same thing and the waitress left.

"I'm sorry this sounds like an interrogation," Giovanna said.

"It's ok. I don't mind. Besides, I'll eventually repay the favor," she smiled.

"So, I guess what I'm most curious about is, do you ever see or talk to Olivia, Danielle or Andrew?"

"I talk to Olivia on a regular basis. We've always stayed in touch. She lives in Washington state. She's married and has a son who's 8. I have talked to Danielle and Andrew but it's been a while. Olivia tracked them down a few years after she left home. The last I heard Danielle was divorced with two kids, living in Texas. And Andrew was married with three kids living in Colorado."

"Wow, everyone is spread out. How is it that Olivia was able to track down everyone but she never contacted me?"

"I don't know. I know she tried to find you. She wanted us all to come together. You know how she was. Is." Giovanna chuckled.

"Yeah, I remember," she said, taking a sip of her wine. She sat for a moment, trying to figure out how to ask the next question on her mind.

"What's wrong?" Chloe asked.

"Nothing. I just... I was just wondering if you ever talked to mom."

"No. Not since the day I left home."

"Do you know anything about her? I mean, is she still alive?"

"I don't know. And honestly, I don't care. That sounds harsh, but it's the truth."

"You don't have to justify it to me," Giovanna said. "I feel the same way."

Their food was delivered and they continued to talk as they ate. It was now Chloe's turn to question Giovanna. She filled Chloe in on everything that had happened since she got out of prison.

"So you don't want kids either?" Chloe asked.

"No. Not now. I didn't always feel that way, but as the years have gone on I've become selfish. I don't want that responsibility. I like being able to do whatever I want, whenever I want."

"What about Q, Brian? Does he want kids?"

"No, he doesn't. So that will never be an issue."

"That's good. I can confirm that can be a deal breaker."

"I would never try to change someone's mind on that. Having a child is a big commitment. I'm so glad we are in agreement on it."

"So what's he like?" Chloe asked.

"Who? Brian?"

"Yes."

"He's great."

"Yeah, but what's he REALLY like?'"

"He's funny, smart, kind, generous, loves animals... I don't know what else you want to know," Giovanna said with a slight laugh.

"I don't know. Forget I asked." She looked embarrassed now.

"It's fine," Giovanna said, putting her hand on Chloe's arm. "Are you ready to get out of here? It's been a really long day and I just want to get home and get into my pajamas."

Giovanna picked up the check, despite Chloe's protests. "Next one is on me," Chloe said, finally relenting.

"Sure," Giovanna said. "Listen, let's get together next week. We still have a lot of catching up to do."

"Sounds good. I look forward to it. Thank you so much for dinner."

"You're welcome. Call me if you need me." They hugged before going their separate ways.