Chapter 41

Giovanna woke the next day with a massive headache. She'd passed out on the couch in her costume and it took her a minute to get her bearings. She didn't remember coming home and didn't know why she was on the couch. The plan had been that Brian was going to stay over. If he was there why wasn't she in bed with him.

She got up and headed to her bedroom. She was puzzled when she saw the bed hadn't been slept in. As she changed out of her costume she tried to remember what had happened the night before. It all came flooding back as she was pulling her t-shirt on. Chloe and Brian had kissed.

How could they have done that to her? WHY had they done that? Tears formed in her eyes as she got under the covers. Within seconds she was back asleep.

When Brian woke he was alone in his own bed, his head throbbing. He looked over at the clock and saw was it was 1:17. He laid there for a few minutes waiting for Giovanna to come back to bed. When she didn't after a few minutes he got up to look for her.

He called her name but she didn't answer. They were supposed to stay at her house last night so why was he at his own house alone? He grabbed his cell phone from the dresser and checked to see if she had called or texted him. Nothing. He was confused. Had she gone home? Had she been there at all?

He called her and it rang several times before her voicemail kicked in. He hung up and texted her.

Where are you?

He waited a minute and when he didn't get a reply he sent another text.

I'm home. Don't remember getting here. Call me.

He waited a few minutes this time and still got no reply. Maybe she was home sleeping. He decided to wait a while then call her again. He went to take some ibuprofen and a shower before getting something to eat.

By 6:00 he still hadn't heard from her. And he still had no idea how he had gotten home. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't remember the end of the night. He called her again, still getting no answer. He sent her another text.

Babe, where are you? Call me.

He waited 15 minutes then headed over to her apartment. Not being able to remember anything he was concerned about her.

When he got there he knocked on her door but got no answer. Panic was starting to creep in. He knocked louder and called for her through the door. After several minutes she answered.

"I have nothing to say to you. Leave me alone," she said as she started to close the door. He put a hand up to stop it.

"What are you talking about? What's going on?"

"Oh you're going to act like nothing happened?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," he said.

"You don't remember kissing Chloe last night?!"

"What?!"

"That's right. While I was in the bathroom. I come back and find the two of you going at it. You're seriously gonna deny it?"

"I have no memory of that. I swear! Why would I do that?!"

"Hell if I know," she said. "I didn't stick around to ask."

"Babe, I don't remember what happened last night. I don't even know how I got home. I swear to you. If what you say is true..."

"It is. I saw it with my own eyes. She was hanging on you and your lips appeared to be sewn together. I can't believe I trusted her. Or you. How could you do that to me?"

Tears started to fill her eyes but she refused to cry in front of him. He saw her eyes getting wet and reached a hand out to her but she jerked her arm away.

"Please," he pleaded with her. "Let me come in so we can talk."

"There's nothing to talk about. You made out with my sister. End of story."

"Look, we were all drunk. I don't remember how it happened but you have to know I would never do that. Not sober anyway. And not intentionally. I love you. I would never purposefully hurt you."

She stared at him. Deep down she knew he was right. They had been together almost a year and a half and he had never come close to doing anything that crossed the line. But she couldn't unsee him kissing Chloe, and it hurt.

"I can't do this right now. Please just go." The second the door was closed she burst into tears.

He stood there for a minute, trying his hardest to remember what had happened. How could it have happened? No matter how drunk he was he would never have initiated that. Why would Chloe then? It had to be her. He needed to get to the bottom of it.

He pulled out his phone once he got in his jeep and called Chloe.

"Hello?"

"Chloe, it's Brian."

"Oh hey. What's up?"

"You tell me," he said.

"What do you mean?"

"Giovanna just told me she caught you and I making out in a bar last night."

"What?! What is she talking about?!"

"Wait, are you saying that didn't happen?"

"Why would we do that?" she asked.

"So you don't remember it?"

"No. And I'm guessing you don't either."

"No. I don't even know how I got home."

"This makes no sense," he said, rubbing his temple. "I would never do that to her but she is so adamant it happened. She won't even talk to me now."

"I'm so sorry. I really don't remember it happening."

"Ok. I'll talk to you later." He hung up before she could say anything else. He sat there, his mind racing, a knot in the pit of his stomach. It couldn't be true. She had to have seen something and misinterpreted. But he could see the hurt in her eyes. And she wasn't one to blow things out of proportion. He started his jeep and headed back home. He'd give her a little time before calling her again.

Chloe sat on her couch, a smile spread across her face. Phase one had been successful.