Chapter 63

The next morning they were up early to watch his nieces and nephews open their presents from Santa. After that they ate, then exchanged gifts with each other. Giovanna had brought a gift for Brian's parents and they gave her a couple of gifts.

After all of the wrapping paper and gift boxes were cleaned up all of the toys were opened. Brian's youngest nephew begged him to play with him and he obliged. While he did that Giovanna went to take a shower.

"Hey Brian," his mom said, standing in the doorway. "Can you help me in the kitchen for a minute?"

He got up and followed her.

"What do you need?" he asked.

"I don't need help. I just wanted to talk to you."

"About what?"

"Giovanna."

"Ok... What about her?" he asked, confused.

"What's going on with her and her sister? All you would tell me on the phone is they had a falling out. What happened?"

Brian ran a hand through his hair. He had hoped that she wouldn't want details. When Chloe didn't come with them at Thanksgiving he had told her Chloe had made other plans. He didn't know what to tell her this time so he'd given her a fraction of the truth with no details.

"It's a long story. And one that I'd prefer not everyone in this house know."

"Do you want to go talk in my room?" she asked.

"No. Can we talk about this later?"

"Ok. Later tonight?"

"Sure," he said.

He left the kitchen and headed upstairs to wait for Giovanna to get out of the shower. He laid down on the bed and mulled over what he was going to say to her. She startled him when she came into the room, he was so wrapped up in his thoughts.

"Hi," she said, going over to her bag to get clothes.

"Hey baby. I need to talk to you about something."

"Ok." She was rooting through her bag and only partially paying attention to him.

"Can you come over here and sit, please?"

She looked up at him.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he said. "Just come over here."

She walked over and sat on the edge of the bed.

"My mom just asked me for details on Chloe."

"What did you tell her?"

"I told her it wasn't the time to talk about it. But she wants to talk to me later. Before I tell her anything I wanted to ask you about it."

"Why?" she asked.

"Because she's your sister."

"Well you were involved, too."

"I know that but she's asking about you. What do you want me to tell her?"

"Does she know anything about my past?"

"No," he said. "I've kept my word to you. I've never told anyone."

"You can tell her the truth about Chloe. It won't bother me. I mean, if you don't want to tell her because you're involved I understand that. But then what would you tell her?"

"No idea. I guess I just tell her the truth."

"I promise, it's ok if you want to tell her the whole story. That includes the reason Chloe did it, which opens the can of worms that is my past."