Chapter 27

Memorial Day was approaching and Giovanna's friend Kali was having a party the Saturday of that weekend. The party was a two-fold celebration - the holiday and a house warming. It had been almost a year since that promotion at work and she and her husband Tom had finally purchased a house.

She had invited Giovanna and told her to bring Brian. He had met Kali and Tom a few times. They were nice and very fun to be around. He was hesitant, however, knowing there would be a lot of people there. It wasn't that he thought he was too good to hang out with her friends, he just didn't want to cause a scene. Giovanna assured him it would be fine. She knew most of the people that were coming and knew they wouldn't harass him.

The day of the party she picked him up around 6:30. It was a 20 minute drive to Kali and Tom's house. They'd brought beer and a bottle of Jameson with them. Kali had told her not to worry about bringing anything but Brian had insisted.

When they got there they had to park down the street. Most of the other guests were already there. Giovanna, Kali and Tom would be the only people Brian knew but that didn't bother him. He was so personable and charming he'd have no problem talking to strangers.

They could hear music and talking as they walked up the driveway and went inside. They found Kali in the kitchen and she greeted them at once.

"You made it!" she exclaimed, rushing over to hug them.

"Yeah, you know, we had to be fashionably late," Giovanna said with a laugh.

"Oh that's ok! I'm just glad you're here. There's a cooler out back you can put your beer in. Tom's out there grilling and being a social butterfly."

They headed out back to the cooler, stopping along the way to say hello to fellow guests. Most of the people they ran into knew who Brian was but they left him alone. Everyone was friendly but no one asked for autographs or photos. He was grateful for that and it helped him to relax.

They'd been there less than a half an hour when a familiar voice shouted Brian's name from across the yard. They both turned around to see Sal and Rachel headed towards them.

"Hey buddy! What are you doing here?" Brian asked, greeting Sal with a smile and a handshake.

"We were invited!" Sal laughed. "Rachel is Tom's cousin."

"Are you really?" Giovanna asked Rachel. "Kali is my best friend. I've known her and Tom for years and had no idea!"

"Yep, we hang out a lot. I can't believe we've never run into each other!"

Brian showed Sal where the cooler was while Giovanna and Rachel talked. The four of them spent the majority of the evening together, eating, drinking and laughing. The party was lively and lasted well past midnight. All four of them were too drunk to drive. Kali had told them all they could spend the night. Sal and Rachel declined and opted to take an Uber home but Brian and Giovanna decided to stay.

It was after 2:00 when the last of the party goers had left. Brian and Giovanna said good night and headed to the guest bedroom, the bottle of Jameson in tow.

She flipped the light on and shut the door, then flopped down on the bed next to Brian, who took a swig from the bottle before handing it to her.

"So I guess you aren't ready for bed yet," she said, her speech slurred.

"Nah, let's have a little fun." He leaned over and kissed her. Their tongues danced as she gripped the back of his head. He reached a hand out to massage her breast and she pulled away from him.

"No," she whispered loudly. "We can't do that here."

"Why not? I'll keep my voice down," he said as he tugged at the hem of her shirt.

"I don't want to make a mess in her bed. Stooooop," she whined at him, smacking his hand away. "Let's play a drinking game instead."

"Like what?"

"Ummmmm... How about I Have Never or whatever it's called."

"Ok. You go first."

"I have never...seen a ghost." She held the bottle out to him but he didn't take it.

"Nope. Never have I cheated on someone." She held the bottle still.

"Hmmmm... I have never been skydiving." He took the bottle from her and took a gulp.

"Never have I had sex with a man."

"That doesn't count! You're a straight man."

"So what. It's true. If it's not true for you have a drink." He held the bottle out to her and she snatched it.

"Cheater," she mumbled before taking a drink. "I could turn right around and pull the same bullshit on you."

"Go ahead," he taunted her. "I'm not scared to drink."

"I have never had sex with a teacher." He made no movement.

"Never have I smoked crack." She remained still.

"Never have I been engaged," she said, surprised when he took the bottle from her. "You have been? When?"

"Over a decade ago."

"What happened?"

"Didn't work out," he said with a shrug.

"Well obviously. Why did you not get married?"

"It's a long story. I promise I will tell it to you another time, ok?"

She eyed him. He had piqued her curiosity and she wanted to know all the details now, but even being drunk she knew it was a heavy subject. "Ok. You better."

They continued to play until the bottle was empty, which wasn't very long. He got up and turned off the light after placing the empty bottle on the dresser. Fully clothed they got under the sheet and fell asleep almost immediately.

It was nearly 10:30 when they woke up. They straightened the bed and headed downstairs. Kali was sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee.

"Good morning," she smiled at them. "Did you sleep ok?"

"Yes," Giovanna said, "thanks for letting us stay."

"No problem. Can I fix you guys something to eat?"

"No thanks. We're gonna get going. Hung over and just want to get to my place and crash. We'll talk soon?"

"Count on it," Kali said, standing and walking them to the door. Hugs were exchanged before they headed down the street to her car. The 20
minute ride to her apartment seemed to take a lot longer in the the bright sunlight with a hangover.

"I have to go home later to feed my cats," he said as they got out of her car. "How do you feel about staying there for the rest of the wee..."

"Giovanna?" a voice came from behind them as they approached the door to her apartment building. They both spun around to see a woman close to Giovanna's age standing there. She looked familiar to Giovanna.

"Yes?" she replied hesitantly, wracking her brain to figure out how she knew this woman.

"You don't recognize me, do you?"

"You look familiar but I can't pu..."

"I'm Chloe. Your sister."