Chapter 49

"So how was the show?" Sal asked Brian. It was late May, and they were sitting in a bar in Manhattan following a day of filming. The show Sal was referring to was a live podcast that Brian had done a few days prior.

"Dude, it was amazing. It felt great to do it live again. The crowd was so into it. We had Git 'Em and Sunday Jeff on and they killed it. Even Walt seemed to have fun."

"That's great buddy. I'm glad to hear it. Did you bolt right afterwards?"

"Nah bro, it's the ants. Walt did, but Johnson and I stuck around for a while. Until about 2:00 actually. But it was cool. The ants are always cool. Would you be up for doing the live show in July?" Brian asked.

"Yeah, of course. We can try to work something out. I love doing the podcast."

Sal sat down and let out a sigh.

"What's going on buddy?" Brian asked. "Everything ok?"

"Yeah. Rachel and I had a fight last night. Haven't talked to her at all today."

"What happened?"

"She wants to move in together."

"Oh dude," Brian said, taking a sip of his whiskey.

"I know. She said she's not just dating me to kill time. She sees a future for us. She wants to take the next step."

"Did she give you an ultimatum?"

"No, she's just hurt and doesn't understand why I don't want to move forward. And it's not that I don't, but I'm just not ready."

"Well, dude, it has been almost two years. I don't think she's being unreasonable."

"I don't see you rushing to move in with Giovanna," Sal said defensively.

"It hasn't come up."

"Really. Not once?"

"Not once. What did you tell her? What was your reason for not wanting to do it?"

"That's part of the problem," Sal said. "I don't really have a reason. I guess it just scares me."

"Yeah, it's a big step. I guess you need to ask yourself if she's worth it, ya know? Do YOU see a future with HER. If you do, then how long are you going to wait to move forward? If you don't..."

"I know, I know. I'm not trying to string her along. To be honest I just haven't given it much thought. Things have been great. SHE'S great. I haven't thought about where we'll be in five, ten years."

"Sounds like it's time to do that," Brian said, motioning for the bartender that he wanted another drink. "She's actually the one who should be scared."

"Why?"

"With all your neuroses... Do you think she can handle that?"

Sal laughed. "Yeah, she knows how I am. And so far it doesn't bother her."

"Yeah but right now she doesn't live with you."

"No," said Sal, "but we're together all the time. She's used to it."

"Well, I'm here if you want to talk about it but I don't really know what else I can tell you."

"Thanks. I'm gonna go. I need to go home and figure this out. I'll see ya tomorrow."

When Brian got in his jeep he took out his phone and called Giovanna.

"Well hello," she answered.

"Hey you. What's going on?"

"I was just reading. Where are you?"

"Just now heading home. Went to get a drink with Sal after work. How was your day?"

"Busy. I didn't get out of work until almost 7:00. I'll probably be there late tomorrow night, too."

"We have a meeting tomorrow at 5:00," Brian said. "Do you want to meet for dinner?"

"Yeah, that sounds good. I just can't give you a time yet."

"No problem. Just shoot me a text when you have an estimate."

"Ok. I should know by the time you go to your meeting," she said.

"Ok. Oh, I wanted to ask you, do you want to come with me next week when I go to New Jersey to record the podcast? I think we're doing it Tuesday evening."

"Sure. It's been a while. Well, aside from last Friday."

"I cannot wait to do the live show in July. I really would love to do a second show but Walt said only if the first one sells out."

"Oh, I'm sure it will," she said.

She stayed on the phone, keeping him company, until he got home.

The next day Giovanna texted Brian around 4:00, letting him know she would be done with work around 6:30. Brian suggested she come to his office and they would go to dinner together.

The meeting the guys had was over by 6:15. The other guys left immediately but Brian stayed behind to check his email while he waited for Giovanna. He was the only one left in the office. Or so he thought.

"Hey," came Chloe's voice from the doorway of the conference room, startling him.

"Jesus Christ. You scared the shit out of me."

"Sorry," she said laughing.

"What are you still doing here? I thought everyone was gone."

"I had some work to finish up," she said as she entered the room. "I was just heading out now and noticed the light on in here. What are you still doing here?"

"Waiting for your sister. We're gonna head to dinner."

"She's coming here?"

"Yeah. She had to work late," Brian said, getting up. "She should be here any minute so I should head downstairs. Come on. I'll walk you out."

He put a hand on her shoulder but she didn't move.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"How much longer are you going to continue to play this game?"

"What are you taking about?"

"Oh, don't play dumb. You know what I'm talking about."

"No, I don't," he said, confusion spread over his face.

"The game where you pretend to be in love with my sister but you really want to be with me."

"Is this a joke?" he asked, looking around the room. "Did those assholes put you up to this? 'Cause it's not funny."

"It's not a joke. And you don't have to play this game anymore. I want you just as much as you want me."

"Are you out of your mind?" he asked, getting angry.

"Oh, come on. You flirt with me every time you're around me. And I've always played along. But I'm tired of playing. I think it's time to cut to the chase."

She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him. He struggled for a few seconds to break free, her arms wrapped tightly around him. Just as he broke free of her he heard a noise from behind him. He turned to see Giovanna standing there. As soon as he made eye contact she turned and ran back to the elevator, tears streaming down her face.