Chapter 67

The next few months seemed to fly by, wth Brian still working on the TV show and doing live shows many of the weekends. A few times Giovanna went with him. Sal and Rachel had patched things up and at the beginning of March she moved in with him. There had been no problems after that happened.

At the end of May the guys had a week off work. No filming and no live shows. Brian was ready for a change of scenery and ready for a week of doing nothing. He mentioned going away for the week to Giovanna and she agreed it was a great idea. After talking it over they decided on the Bahamas. Brian reserved them a one bedroom cottage with its own private beach on Harbour Island.

They left town the morning of May 20 and by 4:00 they were arriving at their secluded cottage. They had rented a golf cart so they would be able to get around the island. They unpacked their bags, freshened up, changed their clothes then headed out in search of food. They ended up at the Sunset Bar & Grill.

It was about 100 feet from the ocean and was elevated. They sat at a table outside and ordered drinks. There was a warm breeze coming off the water and even though they had only been on the island a couple of hours they were both already completely relaxed.

"I could get used to this," Brian said, taking a swig of his beer.

"It's beautiful. This was a great idea."

"Wanna go for a swim later? We don't even need bathing suits."

"Is it really our own private beach? How close is the next cottage?"

"When I called I was assured it was our own beach. I don't know how close the neighbors are but we can try to check that out on our way back. Why? You don't wanna swim naked with me in the ocean?"

"I didn't say that," she said with a wink.

They sat there for a while, drinking and talking before they ordered food. By the time they headed back to their cottage the sun was starting to set. Brian grabbed them each a beer and they sat out on the deck watching the sun set.

When the sun was gone there was a slight nip in the air. Brian noticed Giovanna was shivering a little and when he came back out with more beers he also brought her a blanket. He handed her the bottles then wrapped the blanket around her shoulders.

"Thanks babe," she said as he sat down next to her.

"You're welcome."

"Do you want more cats?"

He looked at her and chuckled. "That's random."

"I know. Sorry. I was just thinking about them. Your cats."

"Our cats. And why?"

"I don't know. They just popped into my head. I guess because I'm so used to them sitting with us and they aren't here. Something felt off and I just realized it's that."

"I miss them, too," he said.

"So do you want to get more cats?"

"I mean, I could live with a whole house full of cats. But realistically I think my limit would be six. I don't think I could handle much more than that. Three is a good number, though. I haven't given much thought to getting any more. How many could you handle?"

"Well, first let me just say it's a good thing you have me. I have visions of you as the creepy old cat man, living alone with hundreds of cats. Yours is the house all the kids are afraid to go near."

He laughed at her description of him.

"And I think three or four is a good number of cats," she said. "Do you really need more than that?"

"Of course not. But if I were to find any more cats like I did Brooklyn I'd probably have to keep them. Save a life, you're responsible for it, ya know?"

"I do. I think that's really admirable. Good thing we'll never have human babies. I don't think they'd hold a candle to the cats."

"You still don't want kids?" Brian asked.

"No. I told you, I'm not cut out for that."

"Yeah but that was a long time ago. You haven't changed your mind?"

"Nope. Have you?"

"God no," Brian said. "I don't have the patience, the time or the energy, and I like not having to be responsible for another human being. I like having the ability to pick up and go at a moments notice."

"I feel exactly the same way. It's like you're me, except with a dick."

He laughed. "I think you have a lot more patience than me."

"That is true. I need it to put up with you every day," she laughed.

"Hey! I'm not that bad."

"No, you aren't," she said, reaching over and squeezing his arm. "So what do you want to do tomorrow?"

"Uhhhh...I don't know. We could try to go snorkeling. Or just hang out on the beach."

"Snorkeling sounds fun. I've never done that."

"Really?"

"Really. I haven't traveled a lot."

"We'll have to change that," he said, finishing his beer. "Do you wanna go inside? We can lay in bed and listen to the waves."

She finished her beer then stood up. "That sounds nice. Let's go."

Their bedroom had double doors that opened out to the deck. Brian opened those then switched off the light. They both stripped down to their underwear before sliding under the covers.

Giovanna sighed. "Oh this feels fantastic."

"Yes it does. I'm not sure I ever want to get up. I've got everything I need right here," he said, rolling over next to her. He put an arm over her waist and pulled her close. He kissed her cheek and rested his head against hers.

"Thank you for bringing me here," she said. "In case I don't say it enough, I appreciate everything you do for me."

"Aw, you're welcome. I don't think I really do all that much, though."

"I disagree. You have changed my life in ways I can't even put into words. It really means a lot to me."

"Wow," he said. "I don't really know what to say to that."

"You don't have to say anything. I'm just letting you know."

"I love you."

"I love you, too," she said. "More than I ever thought it was possible to love a person."

She turned on her side to face him, placed a hand on his cheek and kissed him.