Family

Thanksgiving morning Brian picked up Giovanna at 10:00 and they headed to the Poconos. It was a two hour drive, and they talked for almost the entire time.

It was just after noon as they pulled into the long driveway. For the first time since he had invited her she felt nervous. She was meeting his parents. She was meeting all of his immediate family. The thought of it made her heart race. She took a deep breath and talked herself down.

Brian had noticed the tension in her body and put a hand on her knee.

"Relax. They're gonna love you," he smiled. She smiled weakly in return and he leaned over and kissed her. "I promise."

When they got to the door they were greeted by two of Brian's nephews. They squealed with delight upon seeing him and wrapped themselves around his legs. He tickled them then he knelt down and gave them bear hugs. It was a side of him she hadn't seen before and she couldn't help but smile.

Brian introduced her to his brothers and his dad, before taking her into the kitchen, where his mom and sisters-in-law were.

"Hey ma," he said. She whipped around at the sound of his voice.

"Bri!" she exclaimed, grabbing and hugging him. "I wondered if you were ever going to show up."

"Got a late start. You know how it is."

"I know how YOU are. Who's your friend?" she asked, looking over his shoulder. Giovanna felt her face flush. Brian turned and put a hand on her back.

"This is Giovanna, my girlfriend. And this is my mom, Carol."

"Nice to meet you," Giovanna said, holding out her hand.

"Oh nonsense. Handshakes are too formal. We hug around here." She smiled warmly and pulled Giovanna in for a hug. "We're glad to have you here. Brian has told us so much about you."

"Only good things I hope," she said with a nervous smile.

"Yes, of course. Can I get you something to drink?"

"Oh, no thank you. I'm fine."

Brian introduced her to the rest of the family then they went back to the family room. They sat on the couch and as she listened to him talk to his family, and watched his nieces and nephews playing, a wave of emotions came over her.

So this is what it feels like to have a real family. A normal family. Her eyes welled with tears and she excused herself to the bathroom. Brian followed her.

"What's wrong?" he asked, putting a hand on the bathroom door as she was closing it. He saw the tears in her eyes and was confused.

"Nothing," she said, smiling weakly. "I'm fine. Just need a minute." He continued to stare at her. "Really, I'm fine. I'll be right back out."  He stepped back and took his hand off the door, allowing her to close it.

When she returned a few moments later she rejoined him on the couch, a smile on her face. He threw an arm around her and kissed her head.

"Do you think your mom needs help?"

"Nah, she's got help."

"I feel like I should help."

"You're a guest. She won't have it. Just relax. I'm gonna get a beer. I'll bring you one."

While he was gone she talked to his brothers. They were both very nice and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know her. When Brian came back he handed her a beer and joined in the conversation. It didn't take long before his brothers were busting his balls, telling stories from their childhood, trying to embarrass him.

When Brian's mother announced that dinner was ready everyone headed to the table. Except Brian. He headed straight for the kitchen. Giovanna followed him.

"Where is it?" he asked, looking around.

"It's on the table," his mother replied.

He headed for the dining room and swept his eyes across the table. He smiled when he saw it.

"What are you looking for?" Giovanna asked him, following him around the table.

"This!" he said, pointing down at a very shriveled looking apple on a small plate.

"What is that?" she asked.

"That is the apple from inside the turkey. I call dibs on it every year." She looked at him, her face a mixture of disgust and confusion. "Don't make that face. It's delicious. If you're good I'll give you a bite."

Dinner was a lively event. Lots of talking, lots of laughing. Lots of stories from holidays past were shared. Everyone in his family was very friendly and went out of their way to make her feel welcome.

When dinner was finished Giovanna insisted on helping to clear the table and clean up.

"You made the dinner, it's the least I can do," she said to Brian's mom, when she protested. She finally relented and welcomed the extra help.

Once everything was done she went into the family room and found Brian playing with one of his nephews, a slew of Matchbox cars strewn out on the floor. She watched for a minute before he looked up and caught her eye. He smiled at her.

"Do you want to play?" he asked her. "We don't mind sharing, do we buddy?" His nephew shook his head. She got down on the floor with them and his nephew immediately handed her two cars to play with.

Because his brothers lived even further away than he did, all of his family was spending the night. Once the kids were in bed they played cards at the kitchen table with his brothers and their wives. They drank a few beers and shared many laughs. It was nearly midnight when everyone decided to call it a night. They said their good nights and all went to their rooms.

When Brian and Giovanna got to their room she sat down on the bed, looking wistful. He had started undressing and didn't notice right away.

"Are you ok with leaving in the afternoon tomorrow? I know my mom... What's wrong?"

At those words she burst into tears.

Secrets of the PastOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara