Chapter 20

After their weekend together they felt closer to each other than ever before. Brian was glad that she had opened up to him and told him everything, but he couldn't help but feel sorry for her. No one should have to endure what she had. He couldn't begin to imagine what her life must have been like, the things she had seen as a child.

At the same time, he was very proud of her. Proud of how she had turned her life around. Proud of how she didn't allow her past to consume her. She'd been a teenager when she got in trouble. Instead of continuing on that path she learned from her mistakes and straightened herself up.

And she had been homeless. That was probably the most shocking thing of all. How did she survive that? It would have been so easy for her to follow in her mother's footsteps at that point.

Over the next three weeks Brian was very busy with work. They were trying to get as much filming in as possible before taking a month long break. That left little time for dating. He and Giovanna were still in contact every day and he made sure they got together at least once a week.

When he had taken her home at the end of Thanksgiving weekend he invited her to come with him back to his parents' house for Christmas. She happily accepted.

The morning of Christmas Eve he picked her up at 9:00. He was surprised to see she had a shopping bag full of gifts.

"What's all this?" he asked, carrying the bag to his car.

"Gifts," she replied, a slight smirk on her face.

"I can see that. Gifts for who?"

"Your family."

"You didn't have to do that," he said, genuine surprise in his voice.

"I know, but I wanted to. It's just a little something for each of your nieces and nephews and something for your parents. It's not a big deal."

"It is to me. That was very thoughtful. Thank you." He kissed her just before opening the rear door of his jeep and putting her bags in.

On the drive it started to snow and at one point it was nearly a white out.  By the time they got to his parents' house there was close to six inches on the ground.

When they got in the house they were swarmed by Brian's nieces and nephews. It took a few minutes for them to get settled in. Brian took their bags to their bedroom while Giovanna took the gifts to the family room. His two youngest nephews crowded around her, wanting to look in the shopping bags.

She let them place the gifts around the Christmas tree. Every time she handed them one they would ask "is this one for me?". They made her laugh and also made her feel warm inside.

When Brian came back downstairs they went out to the kitchen. Brian's sisters-in-law and nieces were making cookies with his mom.

"There you are!" his mom exclaimed as he walked over to her. "I was getting worried."

He leaned over and kissed her cheek while hugging her.

"Yeah, it got bad out there. Just had to take it slow."

"Well I'm glad you're here now. And how are you doing Giovanna? So lovely to see you again."

"Thank you. You too. And I'm good. Happy to be here. Your house looks beautiful."

"Oh thank you," his mom said. "I love decorating for Christmas. Would you like to help with the cookies?"

"Sure."

"I'll leave you girls to it then," Brian said. He kissed Giovanna on the cheek and left the room. He went to the family room where his dad and brothers were watching tv.