Chapter 42

"So how was it Saturday night?" Sal asked. It was Monday morning and they were driving to set.

"It was fun."

"That's it? Just 'fun'?"

"Yeah. We had a good time," Brian said, keeping his eyes on the road.

Sal stared at his friend. He'd known him a long time and could tell when something was wrong.

"What happened?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean my bullshit meter is going haywire. What happened?"

Brian sighed. He'd spent the rest of Sunday at home alone. He hadn't told anyone about the situation he now found himself in.

"The majority of the evening was great. But I blacked out at the end and don't remember how I got home."

"Well wasn't Giovanna with you? She must know."

"She wasn't with me then."

"Why?" Sal asked. "Stop beating around the bush and just tell me what happened."

"Chloe and I kissed."

Sal's mouth fell open. "Are you kidding me? How the fuck did that happen?"

"I don't know. I don't remember it at all. According to Giovanna she went to the bathroom and when she came back we were kissing. Dude, I swear, I don't remember it happening."

"Do you think she's making it up?" Sal asked.

"No. She's not a drama queen. If she says it happened I believe her. But I don't know how the fuck it happened or why I would have done that."

"Did you ask Chloe about it?"

"Yeah. She says she doesn't remember either."

"Do you believe her?"

"I have no reason not to," Brian said, running a hand through his hair. "We were all so drunk. And I don't remember so it's highly likely she doesn't either."

"Aw dude. I'm sorry man. So I take it she's not speaking to you at the moment?"

"No. I went over to see her yesterday, not knowing what had happened, and that's when she told me. I could see the hurt in her eyes." Brian seemed to slump in his seat.

"If it happened I'm sure it was only because the two of you were drunk. And I know you wouldn't have initiated it. You're not like that. I think you just need to give her a few days to get over it."

"What if she doesn't?" Brian asked, sounding anxious. "I don't want to lose her over something this stupid."

"She loves you, bro. She's not going to dump you over something so meaningless, especially once she factors in the circumstances. I'm not saying being drunk gives you a free pass to do whatever you want, but when she looks at the big picture she'll see it was just a stupid mistake on your part."

                                     ****

Giovanna had spent Sunday evening dwelling on what she had seen and trying to figure how and why it had happened. She was sure the alcohol had been a huge factor in it. But that didn't excuse it. A line had been crossed.

Chloe had called and texted her a couple of times but she ignored her phone. She had no idea if Chloe was aware of what had happened. Brian had been adamant he didn't remember, and she was pretty certain he was telling the truth. But just because he didn't remember it didn't mean it didn't happen.