Pitter Patter (Evan Peters x OFC)

Her eyes closed, allowing her other four senses to increase in strength. They say that when one sense is eliminated, the remaining ones become more powerful to make up for the loss. She hoped this was true, & what better time to test this theory out then now?

She wasn't a typical scientist in the denotation of the word, but rather, an implementer of the scientific method. The well-known ideal of testing an idea: completing an observation, creating a question, formulating a hypothesis, writing a list of materials, composing replicable instructions, collecting data, examining results, analyzing the findings, & manufacturing a new question. She wasn't a scientist, but oh, did she enjoy elaborating her surroundings in a scientific manner.

Her observation was a typical phenomenon, one that was so often taken for granted: rain. Since she was a child, she had always loved rain. She had spent the entirety of her life in a desert state, so rain did not come often, but when it did, she welcomed it with a smile bright enough to take out the sun.

Her hypothesis? Simply that rain was a beautiful, natural occurrence that was enjoyed by some & dreaded by others. Normally, a scientist would implement the help of multiple participants to demonstrate both spectrums of the hypothesis; however, since she didn't expect the rain, she wasn't prepared for an experiment. She only had herself to go off of, but she was sure that one, certain individual who happened to represent the latter of the rain hypothesis would arrive at any moment to help her test the theory.

Mother nature wasn't a simple concept to say the least, but weather was predictable. Everyone knew that the weather was permeable: able to change at any moment, unexpectedly. It didn't take a scientist to predict the weather, but she had a complicated way of going about things. She naturally tended to ignore the path most travelled on, or the easy route, & would turn to the more difficult path without even realizing it. She enjoyed a challenge & the individuality that came with choosing a road that was vacant of collectivism. Maybe it was because she had been raised in the Western side of the hemisphere, but she took pride in independence & refused to rely on anyone for her successes and failures.

Her materials: participants & rain. Her nose welcomed the sweet essence of pre-rain---that unique smell of water that always came before a shower. Her lips curled up into an expectant smile, relishing in the excitement that was sure to come. Her mind recalled the first time her boyfriend had seen her do this, back before they had began dating. He was awestruck with her bizarre behavior, but he found it intriguing in a manner that made him love her even more. Her intellectual quirkiness towards the weather was just one of the many traits he loved about her, almost as much as she loved the rain.

The data she planned to collect was her reactions & emotions towards the rain. She opened her eyes just for a moment to look up at the gray sky. She was practically bouncing with anticipation at the sight. Her eyelids closed shut once more as a loud crash of thunder resonated throughout the sky. She stuck her palms out expectantly & waited.

Her now more keen ears picked up the sound of footsteps trudging along the sidewalk nearby. The footsteps of sneakers, battered Converse that she knew too well. She let her lips crinkle up again into a smile. She knew he'd be here.

The park was small & all the kids had ran inside on account of worried mothers, giving her the peace & quiet she yearned for. Her immune system had always had a weakness to the flu, her kryptonite, everyone liked to joke, so she always was prepared. She made sure to drink peppermint tea every night, knowing the sweet peppermint would provide strength to her rather shitty excuse for an immune system. She stayed close to home so she could quickly change into warm, dry clothes after the experiment. And, of course, she made sure she had plenty of warm food & vitamin C to help fight off any chances of a pre-cold.