Smoke & Mirrors (Kyle Spencer [AHS] x OFC)

She sat on the roof, her dark hair blowing softly in the faint wind. Her scuffed boots scraped against the shingles as she gently moved her legs into an upright position, her knees up in the air & pushing against the wind. Her oversized & ripped sweater flapped cautiously against her frame, the cool air seeping through the small holes left behind from the crochet needle & the tears in her sweater. Her knees hissed from the cold air that slipped through the ripped knee caps of her jeans. It was nights like these that made her stay here, in this world that brought her nothing but pain. The sweet, gentle flow of the wind just made her so happy & alive, two things that no one in her whole life could successfully make her feel.

The cigarette between her fingers was almost forgotten as she got lost in the wind, but she was quick to bring it back to her lips once more & take a drag. The smoke filled her mouth, the bitter taste of nicotine coating her tongue. Her lips slowly puckered, releasing the smoke in a wisp of curls. The smoke danced against the wind, the two blending together as if they were molding into one another. She wished that she had been as close to someone as the wind & smoke were.

She was sitting on top of the roof of her dorm. Her roommate had brought another frat boy into their room to sleep with & Isabelle wasn't having any of it tonight. This was, unfortunately, a very regulr occurrence on account of the fact that her dorm was right next to the fraternity house of the campus' famous fraternity, Kappa Lambda Gamma. Not only was it an inconvenience, but an absolute horror. The constant parties meant Isabelle couldn't get any work done. Hell, she couldn't even think.

The fraternity brothers had just finished one of their ear-splitting parties about half an hour ago, hence, one of the horny brothers was able to barge through Isabelle's dorm & sleep with her roommate. Although, there was one good thing about all this: this night was perfect & from her position on the roof, quietly peaceful.

She took another drag from her cigarette, gently flicking the ash into the small ash tray she brought with her. She was careful & no matter how much she hated her dorm, she didn't want to have it burned down & be forced to live with the frat boys next door. She closed her eyes softly as she relaxed further. Her troubles seemed to float away with the wind & her mind was free of all those incessant thoughts that always seemed to swarm loudly within her skull.

"Those can kill you, you know," a soft but sudden voice said from behind her. Isabelle sighed. There goes her peace & quiet. She didn't bother turning around, taking another drag & rolling her eyes.

"Maybe I want to die," she said flatly.

The boy behind her frowned, digging his hands farther into his pockets, "Why would someone as pretty & smart as you want to just throw her life away, as if it was worthless, a piece of waste?"

She rolled her eyes again, "Garbage belongs in the trash, doesn't it?" she retorted.

He sighed, looking at the back of her body that still refused to look at him, "Your life isn't garbage," he said. She simply hummed in response, not wanting to continue the conversation any longer. She took another drag & finished her cigarette, putting it out in her ash tray. The boy carefully made his way over to Isabelle, sitting beside her. She still refused to look at him, keeping her eyes locked forward as she watched the leaves on the trees shake in the wind. He looked at her, drinking in her features. She was by far the prettiest & smartest girl at school. She had a sense of the world & respected her surroundings, even when they didn't always deserve it. He was fascinated by her free spirit & irrevocable passion, & although he was afraid to admit it, he also felt an attraction to her, something that went passed friendship.

After some time, she let out a soft sigh & finally turned to look at him. Her mouth opened slightly to respond sarcastically, but she paused when she saw him. She recognized him. He was in her Sociology & Philosophy classes. He sat at the table closest to her in both classes. He was a member of the fraternity next door, although he seemed a bit different from the rest. She couldn't put her finger on it, but something about him was different from the other brothers. She can never forget names, so she knew his: Kyle Spencer.