Prompt #17 (Quicksilver [X-Men] x Reader)

"The paint's supposed to go where?"

------------------------------------------------------

You sipped your warm tea with one hand while the other was gently massaging your stretched out stomach. It was early in the morning & you were out on the back porch, enjoying the cool, early morning breeze. You closed your eyes blissfully, enjoying the contrasting feeling of the warm tea pouring down your throat & the cold breeze blowing against your skin.

Although it was so early in the morning, your husband had gone off somewhere, leaving you to wake up to an empty bed. You had no clue where he went, but he did this so often throughout the entirety of your relationship that you didn't bother questioning it anymore. That being said, you still worried about him & missed him horribly.

Almost as soon as your thoughts turned to him, you felt a different gust of wind & a pair of arms wrap around you from behind, "Good morning, Wifey," the voice you knew so well said, making you smile. He pressed a kiss to your shoulder as one of his hands gently grazed your stomach, "And good morning to you, too, Peter Junior."

You rolled your eyes, "We're not naming him that."

He pouted, "Aww," he looked down at your stomach, "Sorry Peter Junior, Mommy doesn't love you enough to name you after her favorite person in the whole world."

You turned slightly to glare at him, "Don't shit-talk about me to our unborn son."

He fake gasped, "Language!" he cupped your stomach with both hands, pretending to cover the baby's ears, "I knew I should have gotten that swear jar," he added.

You rolled your eyes, "You're sooooo lucky I married you."

He smiled, kissing your cheek, "I know I am. You've made me the luckiest guy in the whole world."

You laughed, "Only you can go from being an ass to being a sap in a matter of seconds."

"Well, you know what they say about me: I'm pretty fast," he grinned goofily & you laughed again.

You took a sip of your tea before you continued talking, "Where were you this morning?"

"Just went out for a run," he said, his tone making you suspicious.

"Oh really?"

"Really."

"Mhmm," you said, unconvinced but knowing trying to get it out of him was useless & pointless.

You finished your tea & went back inside, Peter following close behind you. Once you set your mug down in the sink, you finally turned to look at him. He was smiling, his goggles propped up on his head but his pajamas still on. Even after all these years, his cuteness still got to you & made your heart rattle against your rib cage. You would probably never get over him, but you didn't mind.

Peter, too, also wasn't used to you. He wasn't used to seeing the large ring on your finger & a small band on his own. He wasn't used to calling you his wife. He wasn't used to going to sleep with you every night & waking up in the morning to find that you were still there. He especially wasn't used to the fact that you were carrying his son (although he will never forget the shower escapade that resulted in the conception of his son), but he was beyond excited to be a father.

"Have I ever told you that I love you?" he asked, placing his hands carefully around your waist.

You smiled, resting your hands on his chest, "Only every minute of every day."

"That's not enough," he murmured, his lips brushing against yours. You snorted in response & returned his kiss. That was another thing you loved about Peter. He was so loving. Despite all the awful treatment he endured & the psychological harm of being rejected by his own father, he was still so incredibly loving. That being said, he didn't hesitate to tell someone off for being a jerk, but regardless, he had more love in his heart than anyone else you had ever met & known.

He leaned his forehead onto yours, his brown eyes looking into yours. You smiled at him, gently wrapping your arms around his neck. You relished in each other's embrace for a while, just standing in the kitchen together, until you smelled something. You made a disgusted face, "Is that paint?"

His eyes widened softly, "How did you...How can you...?"

"Pregnancy heightens your sense of smell."

"Damn it," he mumbles, pulling away slightly & flashing you a disappointed smile, "I wanted it to be a surprise but since you had to ruin it..." he teased as he started walking you out of the kitchen & down the hall.

You rolled your eyes & followed, "If this is anything like that time you brought home that flamingo from the zoo, I swear to God..."

"Oh, no, it's not. I'll never make that mistake again. Who knew flamingos could be so mean?" he brought you at the end of the hall, facing the closed door of the fairly large supply closet you had.

You raised an eyebrow at him, "Did you bring me here to make out in the closet?"

He laughed, "No, even better," he pushed the door open, smiling widely, "Ta da! Sorry it's not finished yet," you carefully peered inside. All the previous crap that was in the closet was gone & instead, there was a load of baby stuff in its place: a small crib, a rocking chair, a box of toys, a cute dresser, & a couple paint cans. One wall of the room was painted gray, "I didn't want to paint everything at once because I know the fumes are bad for you & the baby, but the rest of the paint will go on the nursery walls."

You smiled widely, "The paint's supposed to go where?"

He smiled at you, "On the walls of the nursery! I made a little nursery for the little one," your smile somehow widened as you carefully stepped inside. You took a good look at the room as you walked over to the crib. Above it was hanging a small umbrella with little toys hanging off it. There were five: one was a small sneaker with wings, clearly an omen to Peter, a shooting star, a rainbow, a little bunny, & a heart with your intials in it as an omen to you.

You turned back to Peter, "Did you make all of this?"

He nodded, smiling, "I bought the crib & dresser & put it together, but I made the toys & the box to hold them in."

"How long have you been working on this?"

He blushed a little, "Since the day you told me you were pregnant."

You laughed a little & gently pulled him into a hug, "This is so beautiful; he's going to love it."

He returned your embrace, burying his face in your hair as he mumbled, "I sure hope so," he put a hand on your stomach, rubbing it gently, "I hope you like it, buddy," suddenly, your son kicked, scaring Peter & causing him to move his hand away quickly, "Holy crap what was that?!"

You laughed, "That was a kick, silly. He was responding to you."

He gently returned his hand to your stomach, feeling his son's kicks, "Whoa, that's freaky," he raised his eyebrows in curiosity.

You laughed, "I think he's hungry, I know I am."

"Do you want me to make you something?"

"Actually, can we go to that breakfast buffet down the street? I could eat a horse right now."

He laughed, "Of course, I know how much you love that place," he took your hand & grinned cheekily, "but you love me more."

You rolled your eyes as you put on your shoes, "Unfortunately, I do," he just grinned wider & walked with you to the restaurant, where you both had a big & lovely breakfast together.