Not So Smooth (Jimmy Darling [AHS] x Reader)

Jimmy Darling, the smooth-talking, jaw-dropping, Casanova of the Freak Show.

Well, that was how he was perceived. He was a total ladies' man, a flirt, in everyone else's eyes, but you knew better.

The Jimmy you knew wasn't as smooth or flirtatious as he was around others. No, he was the exact opposite. The tight clothes & boasted confidence was all an act to hide how he really was: clumsy & awkward.

Truth be told, he was only like this around you, not just because you had that effect on you, but because he loved you. Sure, he would flirt with other women every now & then, but in reality, if one of them tried something with him, he'd run for the hills because he was a faithful man & he'd never betray you like that, especially since you two were married now.

You'd grown used to his flirtatious attitude with the ladies & if you were honest with yourself, it was that same charm that made you fall for him in the first place, but something about the way he acted around you when it was just the two of you, made you love him even more. He was always so shy & nervous around you, something you were shocked to see. The first time he acted that way was when he wanted to ask you out. You had stuck around after the show to see him, as you did every time you came, but he took longer than usual. Eventually, he showed up with one hand behind his back & a soft blush on his cheeks. He pulled his hand out from behind his back to reveal a bouquet of roses & held them out to you as he questioned you shyly, "L-listen, darlin', I've been meaning to ask you...will you...go out with...uh me?" you couldn't stop the grin that appeared on your face as you pulled him into a tight hug & gave him a happy "yes". You ended up crushing the flowers against his chest during the hug & he smelled like roses for a whole week.

That was several years ago, & here you were now, married to that silly boy. Still, even after dating each other for so long, Jimmy was still so clumsy & nervous around you. He always said it was your fault (teasingly, of course) that he acted that way because you were "just so damn ravishin'" that it messed with his head. In reality, he was nervous because he didn't want to look like a fool around you & make you change your mind about your feelings for him, but he would never tell you that. He also would never tell you that just looking into your face & seeing that smile that made him go weak in the knees also made him incredibly nervous. He especially wouldn't tell you that, not in a billion years.

You smiled to yourself as you watched your now husband working the ticket booth. You had officially moved in with the rest of the Freak Show after you & Jimmy became a serious couple. They were all like a second family to you & everyone truly loved you, although none of them loved you as much as Jimmy did. He always had a smile on his face now, even when he was on the verge of tears because he couldn't wrap his head around the fact that you were his.

Even as he was working the ticket booth & dealing with some irrate showgoers, he still had that beautiful smile on his face. When the two of you first met, Jimmy was in a really dark place. He was incredibly insecure about his deformity, although he only voiced those insecurities with you, & just an absolute mess of emotions. You were his rock & helped him get through so much shit in his life. Of course, Jimmy was beyond grateful for all that you've done for him, but so was everyone else at the Freak Show. They had never seen Jimmy so happy & content with himself before, & they were more than ecstatic to keep it that way.

Your eyes noticed the bright, gold band that hung around his neck from a small chain & you smiled. On account of his hands, he couldn't exactly wear a wedding ring, & because of that, you told him that he didn't need to wear one, but he refused. He wanted everyone to know that he was yours & that no one else could have him, so he decided to wear his wedding ring as a necklace. Although you didn't mind if he wore one or not, it did make your heart flutter every time you saw the ring hanging from around his neck as a permanent reminder that he was your Jimmy & yours alone.