Lab Days (Clay [The Lazarus Effect] x Reader)

Earlier this year, you had joined a group of scientists who were working on a secret project known simply as "Lazarus". You were given no extensive details, other than the fact that this project had the potential to save millions of lives in the future. You were one of the leading neurosurgeons in the country & the team assigned to the project desperately needed your help. Of course, the team consisted of a very intelligent group of people, but after three years of working on the project & getting so close but not quite succeeding, they decided to recruit you for assistance.

It had been several months since you had officially joined the team & had been conducting research & tests with them, but almost nothing had changed. Except for the fact that you had gotten incredibly close with one of the other scientists: Clay. Clay was strongly attracted to you from the moment you walked into the laboratory. He couldn't take his eyes off of you because you were absolutely mesmerising & when you opened your mouth & spoke the most eloquent scientific jargon he had ever heard in his entire medical education & residency, he was done for. The usual cocky Clay had become the coy Clay, too shy & nervous to even look you directly in the eye. He even stopped smoking in the lab, another thing that made the other scientists worried about him. Only Niko knew the truth, that Clay was falling hard for you but was too afraid to do anything about it.

Until one night about a month ago.

The others had left for the night & Clay had been assigned Rocky Duty. Each night, one of the scientists had to stay in the lab to keep an eye on Rocky, the first patient to receive a successful dose of the Serum. That night, it was Clay's turn, but you had come back to grab a few things. You walked in on Clay playing one of Zoe's opera records with a can of soda & a bag of chips at his desk. He was playing World of Warcraft (typical behavior for him) & singing along to the song, even though he couldn't decipher what the Hell the singer was saying.

You walked in, "scaring the shit" out of him, as he so elegantly put it, & made him spill his fizzy drink all over his keyboard. You just rolled your eyes, telling him you were just there to grab some files. You went into your cubicle & retrieved the files, turning around & finding Clay standing in front of you. You gave him a smile & he returned it before he took a deep breath, preparing to speak. You remembered his exact words, mostly because they made you laugh, but also because they made your heart swell:

"I, uh, I need to tell you something. So um I like you a lot & I know it's totally unprofessional to date colleagues or whatever but I really don't care & you are definitely a rebel so I figured we can break the rules together because what the Hell?"

You still laughed about it to this day. Your favorite part was his reaction to you leaning in & kissing him, whispering that yes, indeed, you could both "break the rules together". It was a mix between a blush & a grin & it was beautiful.

Now, as you stood in the main room of the lab where the experiments with the Serum were conducted, you cracked a smile to yourself as you recalled that wonderful night. Thankfully, you weren't alone tonight because Clay had Rocky duty once more, although he was doing a much better job of watching you than Rocky.

Clay came up to you from behind & wrapped his arms around your waist, placing a kiss to your cheek, "Anything?" he asked, referring to the brain of the latest patient that you were currently examining.

"Not yet," you sighed, attempting to ignore the fact that his hands were on you, but failing miserably.

He squeezed your waist reassuringly, laying his chin on your shoulder & rubbing your hip, "Maybe you should take a break? I'm sure I could help keep you occupied for a few minutes."