Prompts #7 & 18 (Quicksilver [X-Men] x Reader)

"I thought I lost you."

"You need to wake up because I can't do this without you."

------------------------------------------------------

"I'm so so so so so sorry God I knew this was a bad idea I told them you would get hurt Jesus why did this have to happen?" Peter rambled on as he held back tears. He was squeezing your hand so tightly that he might break your hand. If you were awake, you would have screamed out in pain, but you weren't. Your body was there in reality with Peter, the slow beeping of the heart monitor the only signs of life. Your mind & spirit were elsewhere, hovering between life & death.

Your brain was playing back the brief moments before you had "died". You & the rest of the X-Men were fighting Apocalypse as the world was crumbling below you. Peter had told you, no, begged you not to go, but you didn't listen & neither did the others. They all agreed that you would be extremely helpful with the battle & you told Peter that either both of you would go down together or not at all. Reluctantly, he agreed, still having doubts & he was right to.

Your emotions got the better of you & when you heard the crunch of Peter's leg breaking & his blood-curdling scream, you lost it. You flung yourself at Apocalypse & used your power of electricity to shock him just enough to release Peter & turn his attention to you. Just before Jean defeated Apocalypse, he bashed your head in with his hand, knocking you out instantly & leaving you at the brink of death.

The last thing you saw was Peter screaming for you as he gripped his leg in agony.

"You need to wake up because I can't do this without you," were the first words you heard comprehensibly as your consciousness finally returned. You recognized the voice immediately, & it sounded like he had been crying, "Please, just please wake up. I love you so much & oh God I need you. I don't want to be here all alone. No one else can tolerate me & no one else loves me as much as you do," he sniffled, "And I don't love anybody else as much as I love you," you waited for your body to wake up with your mind, deciding to listen to your boyfriend speak to you, "I was going to propose to you," he whispered, digging around in his pocket before pulling out a ring, "It has yours & mine birthstone. It was my mom's idea," he admitted sheepishly, "I know you can't see it, but it's so beautiful, almost as beautiful as you," he laughed nervously, "I practiced proposing for over a month & just when I was about to, this happens. God, why am I always so late?" you tried to move, but the only thing that was moving was your heart. The monitor began going faster, your heart racing at hearing the sadness in his voice & the fact that he wanted to propose to you, "Oh no, no no no no," he said, hearing your heart monitor begin to freak out & standing up, gently pressing his forehead against yours as he gripped your hand tighter, "Please, don't go," he said, his voice cracking as he started to cry quietly.

Finally, you regained movement in your body & you carefully squeezed his hand. He stopped crying almost immediately, watching you with wide eyes, "Did you just squeeze my hand or did I imagine it?"

You carefully opened your eyes, waiting for them to adjust to the bright lights before you spoke, "Peter," you stated, your voice harsh & raspy.

He smiled widely, his brown, doe eyes pink & puffy, "Oh my God," he gently held your face in his hands, watching out for your bandages, & peppered your face with gentle kisses. You scrunched your face a bit, your heart swelling with the fact that he missed you so much, but all his touches were overwhelming you.

"Peter, wait, please...too much love I can't..."

He stopped & laughed sheepishly, blushing slightly, "I'm sorry," he gently brushed a stray hair out of your eyes, gently cupping your cheek with one hand, "it's just I...I thought I lost you."

You snorted, "You think some mutant who's older than dirt is going to get rid of me? It's going to take a lot more than that."

He laughed & pressed a kiss to your temple, "God, I love you."

You smiled weakly & tiredly, "I love you, too," it was silent for some time as Peter relished in the fact that you were alive. He told you that you had been in a coma for nearly a month & that he never left your side for longer than thirty seconds. He stayed by your side the whole time, talking to your lifeless body, telling you things he could never tell you when you were awake. You wished you had woken up sooner, wondering what things he could have been telling you.

"So, I take it Jean defeated him?"

"Yeah, she did. Everything's back to normal. We fixed everything up & everyone turned out okay."

"Good. How's your leg?"

He laughed a little, "It hurts really badly, but my cast is super cool."

"How come?"

He grinned, "It's silver," he giggled excitedly, making you laugh.

"Of course it is," you peeked down at it & sure enough, it was silver, "Do I get to sign it?" a marker was instantly in your hand & his leg was propped up next to you. You smiled & signed it:

My little Speedster,

Looks like now, you'll finally have to take it slow. Really slow, considering you can't walk. That must really suck for you, but thankfully, you have me to take care of you & make fun of you every time you wobble on your crutches. Get well soon!

Love,
Mrs. Maximoff

You closed the marker & tossed it onto the table beside you as Peter read the message over. He laughed at your sarcasm, but the smirk fell from his face when he read your signature. His eyes widened & he stared at you incredulously. You grinned, "So, you got me a ring?" he opened his mouth to speak but closed it abruptly, still in shock that you heard him. You laughed & he eventually dug it out of his pocket, handing it over to you. He was right, it was absolutely gorgeous, "Wow, you're right, it is beautiful, but you were wrong about one thing," you smiled at him, "it's more beautiful than me."

He rolled his eyes, "Nothing is more beautiful than you," he grinned, "Except me, that is."

You rolled your eyes & handed it back to him, "Let's see how well that practice paid off," his eyes widened once more & he blushed.

"Wait you want me to...right now?"

"Well, considering I could die at any time, sooner rather than later would be better."

He glared at you, "Okay, waaaay too soon to use that one," you laughed & he sighed, clearing his thoughts & trying to focus. He started vibrating nervously, biting his lip as he tried to get the words out, "Uh...I love you...marry me?"

You laughed, "Good enough," you extended your left hand towards him, "Yes, I'll marry you," he smiled shyly as he slid the ring onto your left ring finger. You twiddled your fingers a little, admiring how the ring looked on your hand, "Well, I can't jam out to Single Ladies anymore, but I got you, so I guess that's worth it."

He laughed & grabbed your hand, kissing the ring softly before rubbing the back of your hand with his thumb, "You are definitely worth breaking a leg for," he murmured.