Mind Over Matter (Tate Langdon [AHS] x Reader)

REQUESTED: A drabble about the reader moving into the Murder House after the Harmon family and [the reader] befriends Violet, who always warns her about Tate?

------------------------------------------------------

You patted along the kitchen of your lovely home, making yourself something to eat. It was still early, around six in the morning, & everything was quiet. This is was the one time the house was quiet. The house was infested with ghosts, but for some reason, in the wee hours of the morning, you rarely saw any. You weren't sure if it was because they let you have a moment to yourself or if it was because it was just too early to want to mess with you, but you were thankful for the small amount of alone time.

You had moved into the Murder House several months ago. You were fresh out of college, eager for a new start in a new place. You had been eyeing the house for several years & you had to work so many overtime shifts for all of those years in order to get enough money to purchase the house, but you managed to do it. Now that you had your degree & your new house, you didn't have to worry too much about having enough money or making end's meet.

You opened up your fridge & rummaged through it, pulling out several things before peeking your head out & shutting it closed. When you turned around, you found your friend, Violet, sitting on the counter, smiling at you as she swung her legs a bit.

You returned her smile, setting all the food items down on the counter next to her, "Good morning, Vi," you greeted.

"Morning. Why the Hell are you always up so early? You don't have to go to work until ten."

You laughed & shrugged, "I love watching the sunrise & getting those few moments of peace. It keeps me sane."

She furrowed her brows at you, "I hate to break it to you, but you live in this house willingly. You're not sane."

You laughed again, "Fair point," you smiled, "I've got nothing to worry about then."

She smirked, "I really like you, but seriously, I don't know why you like this place so much. You're just going to end up trapped here for eternity with the rest of us," she teased. Violet & her parents were working so incredibly hard to keep you safe & they wouldn't let any of the evil spirits here hurt you, but they could only do so much.

"All the more reason to get comfortable," you replied, smirking at your friend. She just rolled her eyes at you.

The Harmon family had brought a different light to the home. They made it warm & welcoming, something the home hadn't been for a long time. They had somehow managed to keep the majority of the wandering evil spirits from hurting you, but you still worried about running into one of them, especially Tate. Violet told you all about Tate & he absolutely terrified you. You hoped you would never run into him.

Unfortunately, unbenounced to the two of you, Tate had been watching you for a while. In fact, as you & Violet spoke, he was watching you from a safe distance at one of the windows in the kitchen, frowning. He couldn't hear what you & Violet were talking about, but it made him insanely jealous. He had tried reappearing in front of you several times, but all of those times, Violet got in the way & moved him at the last minute so you didn't see him. He knew she had probably told you everything that he did & he hoped that you still liked him, regardless of the messes he created & left in his wake.

You poured yourself & Violet a cup of tea, handing her a mug. She sipped it thoughtfully, enjoying the warmth & taste, "So, what are your plans for the day?"

You sipped your tea, "Well, after work I've got to stop by the store & get some groceries & then I'll probably just chill & watch some movies," you smiled, "We can have a little movie night, if you want?"

She grinned, "Sounds good to me."

You smiled, "Great. I'll see what movies Redbox has & I'll rent a couple."

"Sounds good."

True to your word, after work & going grocery shopping, you rented several movies to watch with Violet. You brought all the groceries into the house, organized them, & put them away befoe you started making a big bowl of popcorn to share with Violet. Once the popcorn was finished, you went into the living room & sat down. You plopped the movies & popcorn down on the table & waited.

And waited.

And waited.

But after nearly forty-five minutes, Violet was nowhere to be seen, "Vi?" you called out into the darkness. You received no answer. As you turned around, you noticed someone sitting next to you on the couch, but it wasn't Violet.

It was a boy, slightly younger than you, with blonde hair, dark eyes, & a very scratchy looking sweater. He had ripped jeans & an old pair of scuffed Converse on. He looked almost exactly like Kurt Cobain & you found yourself very intrigued by the boy. It wasn't every day that a gorgeous grunge boy just popped into your living room & you definitely weren't about to pass up this once in a lifetime opportunity, "Oh, hello, where did you come from?"

He smiled softly at you, "I used to live here with my mom in the 90's."

You frowned, "Oh, so you're a ghost?" just your luck. The one time a cute guy talks to you & he's dead.

"Yeah," he said, still smiling at you, "I'm Tate," he outstretched his hand towards you.

You reached yours towards him, "Hello Tate, I'm--" you cut yourself off & stopped.

Tate? He was the Tate that Violet was talking about?

No way, this had to be a mistake. He looked like a little lost puppy, there's no way he shot up a whole school, killed all the people who inhabited the house after he died, & raped Violet's mom.

Then again, Violet did warn you that he was a charmer & very convincing, but she neglected to mention the fact that he looked gentle enough to be mistaken for an overgrown toddler.

Tate watched you curiously until you finally shook his hand, "Nice to meet you," you said, surprisingly calmly. Your brain was still trying to wrap your head around the fact that this guy is almost definitely the guy Violet warned you to stay away from.

If you only you listened to your head more than your heart.

"Nice to meet you, too," he flashed that cute smile again & you knew you were done for.

Sometimes, you regretted not listening to Violet & not just abandoning your movies & Tate in the living room that night, but now, as you stared up at Tate, tears trickling down his face & his nose crinkling as he cried, you couldn't find yourself regretting any of the decisions you made. Even as you felt the blade in Tate's hand press into your chest, his tears cascading down his nose & ricocheting against your wounded chest, you still couldn't find the courage to tell him to go away like Violet did.

You thought to yourself that maybe you should have listened to Violet & never gotten involved with Tate, but as you felt your heart beats beginning to slow & your heart starting to give up, you knew that you could never have done that. You would have always went back to Tate, one way or another.

And that was what sealed your fate, not being killed by your boyfriend or dying in the infamous Murder House. Your love for Tate was fatal & you were dead from the moment he appeared in your living & you saw that innocent & dangerous smile.