We Were Just Talking (Part 2)

REQUESTED: Please make a part 2 to your Clay drabble I need it

------------------------------------------------------

That following Monday, you didn't show up to work & Clay's heart just about broke. He had planned to tell you that he had feelings for you & he wanted to be more than just lab partners & coworkers with benefits, but it looked like he was too late. He had waited all day Monday, even staying way past his shift ended in case you stopped by super late, but you never showed up. Clay tried to bring his hopes up, reminding himself that the week had only just begun & that you would have to be back by the end of the week. It took so much out of him to keep his hope alive, but he somehow managed to do it.

The days went on, & still, you didn't show up.

By the time Friday rolled around, he had lost all hope in seeing you again. He had asked his coworkers whether they had heard anything from you, but all Zoey said was that you had called in sick for the whole week. The others didn't seem to be nearly as worried as Clay was. Then again, they weren't the ones who were hopelessly infatuated with you.

On Friday night, Clay was staying later to finish his report for the day. Sitting at his computer & chugging a soda, his attention was fully on his report. He typed away mindlessly on his computer, not even realizing that he was typing out the exact words he had planned & practiced to tell you.

It took every single ounce of effort within you to get up that day & drive over to the lab. Your heart was beating erratically, practically begging you not to do this, but you knew that you had procrastinated this off as much as you could. You had to talk to Clay & end this whole coworker with benefits fiasco. It was just going to end in a mess that would lead to further embarrassment & broken hearts.

Clay didn't bother looking up when the doors to the lab opened, figuring it was just Zoey or Niko.

"Clay?" the sweet sound of your voice caused his fingers to stop typing instantly. He paused, wondering if he was only imagining it, before he slowly turned around. His heart raced the minute his eyes landed on yours & his lips started to curve up into a smile. He got up & walked towards you, "Oh my God," he pulled you into a tight hug, burying his face in the crook of his neck. You welcomed the warmth of his skin & the familiar scent of his laundry detergent, returning his embrace. You missed him, a lot more than you thought you would, enough to make you reconsider your decision to end things, "I really missed you," he whispered against your throat, making you shiver. He tightened his grip around you, hugging you harder as he relished in your scent & touch that he missed & craved so much this past month.

You pulled away gently to look at him, trying not to let your emotions get the best of you. Over the past week, you had grown to realize that you had developed feelings for Clay, but you continued to deny it. It was only going to make this harder than it needed to be & Clay didn't deserve that.

Before you could say anything, Clay had suddenly pulled you into a kiss. It was different from how he usually kissed you; this one was more urgent & needy. It didn't take long for you to get lost in the kiss & return it, wrapping your arms around his neck as you did so. He held your waist & deepened the kiss as he did so, letting his mouth press against yours desperately. You continued to return his kisses for some time, until your brain finally overpowered your heart & reminded you why you were here in the first place.

To Clay's surprise, you pulled away, & rejected him when he attempted to kiss you again, "Clay, wait," he gently moved back to look at you, releasing your waist reluctantly. You sighed, avoiding his eyes for a moment as you cleared your throat & determined what you were going to say, "We can't do this anymore."

His heart began to race in fear, knowing full well what you were referring to, but refused to believe it, "Can't do what anymore?"

"This," you gestured between you two, "Us, sleeping around, making out in the lab...it's unprofessional & dangerous...& I don't think it's safe to continue this."

Clay blinked as his heart practically fell straight into the pit of his stomach, "You...don't?"

You sighed, feeling your own heart start to hurt, "I don't. I don't want to hurt you & have this end up in the huge mess it inevitably will become."

Clay was quiet for a long time before he finally spoke, "It's a little too late for that," he said quietly.

"Clay?"

"Just...nevermind," he said, trying to keep his composure. He avoided your eyes as he stared at the floor, holding back his tears as his heart began to break into a million pieces in his stomach. He cleared his throat awkwardly, taking a deep breath before he moved to walk away from you. He always knew he would never have a chance with someone as lovely & amazing as you.

"Clay, wait!" you reached out & grabbed his hand, pulling his attention back to you, "Talk to me; I don't want things to be ill with us."

He sighed & pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration, "I...I have feelings for you, okay?" he swallowed & avoided your eyes, "I know we always said that we would never do anything personally intimate besides the sex, but I fell for you anyway," he paused as his voice softened, "And then when you let me kiss you for the first time...I was a goner because I figured you were too good for me, too good to even consider being in a relationship with me," he laughed humorlessly, "And I was completely right."

Your cheeks flushed at his admission as your eyebrows raised in shock, "You...really thought that?"

He snorted, "Of course I did! Look at you & look at me. I'm entirely out of your league," he ran a hand through his hair nervously, "Just...just forget I said anything. I was stupid to think we could ever be anything other than coworkers. I never should have kissed you that night we played poker & I never should have started this...this mess, as you put it," he tried to pull away, but you held him firmly in place.

"Now hold on just a minute," you began, "First of all, this wasn't a mess. This was a deal that we both agreed to, so we are both at fault & you can't take the full blame. Second, I don't regret anything we've done, including the whole deal we made," you looked into his dark eyes, trying to bring some hope into his sorrow-filled irises, "And third, you're completely in my league because I developed feelings for you, too," you smiled softly, "I just wanted to end this before you felt the same way, so you wouldn't be hurt, too," he stared at you incredulously, his mouth slightly agape as he slowly processed everything you said. He thought for a moment that maybe this wasn't really happening & he had smoked too much e-cigarettes today, which was making him imagine this whole thing. If his heart wasn't beating so fast, he would have figured it wasn't real, but he knew that spastic beating was completely real & he had no idea what to say.

He probably stood there for a good several minutes before he finally decided what to do. Wordlessly, he leaned in & kissed you, finding himself at a complete loss for words & not knowing any other manner in which to convey what he felt.

This kiss wasn't as long as the previous ones, but it was enough to let you know that he believed you, "So," he wrapped his arms slowly around your waist once more, "Where do we go from here?"

You smiled gently up at him, "Well, if you want to, I'd love it if we were officially a couple."

He smiled slowly from ear to ear, "I'd love that."

You leaned closer, brushing your lips against his as you mumbled, "Good," Clay eagerly closed the gap & kissed you again.

As fate would have it, Zoey walked in on you two again, just as you shared your first kiss as an official couple, "Sleeping with lab partners again, huh, Clay?" she joked.

You both pulled away, "We were just talking!" you said simultaneously before you both burst into laughter.