33.

Emily's pov

Once we saw the diner, we slowed down. We walked inside, seeing a young girl behind the counter reading a magazine and chewing on her gum with her earphones on. I cleared my throat, since she didn't seem to notice us. She looked up and quickly took off her headphones and smiled kindly. "Oh, hello. Welcome. Sorry, we usually don't have costumers this late and I didn't notice you. Please, how can I help you" she spoke quickly, whipping her hands on her apron.

"It's okay. Umm... I'd like a cheeseburger and a Pepsi and... " I turned to Matthew, signaling for him to order too. "What she got" he said. "Tow cheeseburgers it is then. Right away" she smiled, while passing our order to the chef. We waited patiently, as we sat on the stools of the counter. "I got news!" I said, getting Matthews attention, who was currently reading through the menu, although we had ordered already. "What is it?" he asked. "My best friend from New York, Kylie is visiting during Christmas break. She'll stay with me for a couple of days" I said excitedly. "That's great" he nodded smiling.

I looked around at the diner. I remembered Cameron and I coming here the second day I had gotten here. The day we had spent together. It was the same day I had met Mahogany, Matt, Nash, Taylor and Carter too. This place brought me memories of how different things were a few months ago. I felt eyes burning through me. I glanced at Matt, to find him staring at me. He just smiled when he saw I noticed.

Our order was ready, so we grabbed the food and left. "Did you get here with your car?" I asked, and he nodded in response. "Great, let's go get it" I started walking ahead of him. "Emily wait" he said grabbing my arm and pulling me back. "What is it?" I turned to face him. He stared down at my eyes for a minute before leaning in. He pressed his lips on mine, leaving a taste of sweet mint. I couldn't lie, it was a great kiss, and as much as I knew I shouldn't, I did like it. But it could never compare to the feeling of another pair of lips on mine.

He slowly pulled away, scared to see my reaction. But I just smiled, I smiled so hard, probably looking like an idiot. He smiled down at me too. "Let's go now" I took his hand and intertwined our fingers. I didn't want him to feel bad for kissing me, even I didn't feel bad about it. There was nothing wrong with it. I wasn't in a relationship anymore, it wouldn't be considered cheating in any way. Sure, I was nowhere near over Cameron. I loved him and I wouldn't stop, I knew that.

There was nothing between me and Matthew anyway. Matthew had always been there for me, from the first time. He was someone special to me, we were so close. I can't deny he was good looking, funny, sweet, caring and a great person. He was what every girl was looking for. But I wasn't looking for anything, that's why he wasn't for me. I had already found what I was searching for and it was all in Cameron. This between me and Matt was just a moment.

"I parked the car a few houses before, so I wouldn't wake your mom." he chuckled. "Good thought" I laughed too. We walked a little further from my house and found his car. We got in and started driving towards the spot Matt had taken me to last night. After driving in silence for a while, we finally got to our destination. We got out and walked up the same hill, sitting at the same spot, again in silence. It was a comforting silence though.

"Emily, I want to tell you about the kiss" Matt said, looking down at the ground. "Matt, you don't have to" I smiled. "No, I'm sorry. You just broke up with Cameron and you don't have feelings for me, which I completely understand" he begun. "But, I think I have feeling for you" he looked at me. "Matthew, this is very sweet. And I'm sad I can't return the feelings. But I love Cameron, no matter what he has put me through. You can get any girl you want out there, there are so many girls so much better than me. You deserve someone else, not me" I rested my head on his shoulder.

"I know you love Cameron. I'm sorry for kissing you" he sighed. "Don't apogise. I actually liked the kiss. You shouldn't feel sorry. But I want you to move on from me and find someone that will fall in love with everything I see in you. I do love you Matthew, I love you so much. But just not that way" I smiled at him. I didn't want to hurt him, but I wanted to be honest with him.

"I don't want to lose you" he wrapped his arms around me, hugging me. "You will never lose me Matt. You will always be my best friend. No one can replace you, you're very special to me" I hugged him back. "Thank you. Cameron is one lucky guy" he whispered and I laughed pulling away. "Cameron is one stupid guy. And a cheater. And a jackass. And-" "the one you love" he finished my sentence.

"And the one I love. But I guess this doesn't matter... I mean he doesn't so... " I trailed off. "Are you kidding me? You guys broke up like yesterday and he's already going mad" he laughed and I looked at him confused. "I can tell he really misses you" he added. I just shook my head and scoffed in disbelief. "He wouldn't have cheated on me if he did love me, Matt" . I wasn't crying anymore. I knew it wouldn't help me in any way. If I wanted to do something, I could only talk to him. Crying was no use. That's why I had learned not to.

"Everyone makes mistakes" he shrugged. I didn't respond to that.

*****

A/n: so I started working on a new book! I'm very excited cause it's different from this one. I don't know if I'll be publishing it soon, I kind of want to get to the point I want with this one. The new book is probably going to be called "Cold Hearted".