Chapter One

2011
Alex's POV

"Bye mom." I say with a smile as I wrap my mom into one of the biggest hugs. Today was the day my dream would come true, today was a start of something new, something life changing and I couldn't wait.

I was finally fulfilling my dreams of playing with the U.S. Women's National Team.

"I'm so proud of you Alexandra, so proud." My mom says with tears in her eyes.

"Thanks, I'll make you more proud." I smile back at her. I didn't want to leave my mom alone. Ever since dad died, my sisters and I have been the people she leaned on most. We were her daughters, and she loved us all so dearly. I was going to miss her.

"Do great things! I'll watch every game, wether it's on TV or if I'm in the stands. And when you come home, I'll be here with open arms. This is your home, Diamond Bar is your home"

"Final call for boarding for flight P287 to New York." A voice on the intercom said. I looked at my mom and wrapped her into one last hug.

"I love you, thanks for everything." I say before pulling away with a smile.

"Go on, you'll miss your flight!" My mom says. She hands me my luggage and sends me off with tears in her eyes.

"Alex, don't forget to enjoy life!" My mom says. I look back and smile at her before I board the plane.

As the plane took off to the other side of the U.S. I thought about my life here in California. It was a good life, a really good life. I was happy, I had a happy childhood. Even though I may have lost my dad who battled cancer, I was happy. It was a good life.

Before you know it, we landed in New York and I felt my heart begin to race. Was I nervous? Yes, absolutely. But I was more excited than nervous.

I went to the baggage claim and grabbed my luggages before exiting the terminal. I looked around and saw people reuniting with their families but who was here waiting for me? I didn't have any family here, I didn't know anyone.

I continued looking until I saw a sign with the USWNT crest and my name written on it. I looked at the person who held the sign and it was a girl with long brown hair that was tied into a loose ponytail. She wore sweats and a Nike shirt.

I walked over to her and she smiled at me, it was the largest smile I've ever seen and you can't help but smile back at her.

"You're Alex Morgan?" The girl says as she puts the sign down and I nod my head yes.

"Welcome to New York! I'm Tobin Heath, your roommate." She says with a smile.

"It's great to meet you." I say extending my hand out to shake and she shook it. Then, she grabbed my luggages from me and smiled.

I followed her outside and I breathed in the smell of New York. Then, a limo pulled up right in front of us and the driver came out and grabbed my luggages from Tobin.

"Are we seriously riding this to the hotel?" I ask.

"Sure thing! Pia always gets limos for the newbies. And you my friend, are the youngest on the team." Tobin says. I smiled at her before we got into the limo and started the drive to the hotel.

"So, Alexandra. Where are you from?" Tobin asks me.

"Just call me Alex. And I'm from Diamond Bar, California."

"Diamond Bar? Never heard of that town."

"Yeah... Not many people know it's on the map but it is. Just a small town, but I like it. I liked living there. Where are you from?" I ask.

"Basking Ridge, New Jersey. Not many know that town either."

I smile at her. "A Jersey girl I see. Did you like it there?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I guess... Not really. Too much history." Tobin says then it went quiet.

"Well, what's the team like?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"Amazing. Trust me, you'll fit in quite well."

"I hope so. Everyone's going to be older than me. Everyone is going to be faster and better than me."

"But you'll be better and faster than them at one point. Being the baby on the team is only temporary, enjoy it while it lasts because once more newbies come you'll feel old."

"Are you calling yourself old?" I say with a laugh.

"I'm twenty two!"

"I'm twenty one, not even close to old." I say with a small laugh.

"Alex, is your voice always that raspy?"

"Yeah... Why?"

"I like it."

***

There was numerous problems with the last story so I decided to start on a clean plate!