Chapter Twenty One

Alex's POV

I left the airport with tears streaming down my cheeks. People asked me if I was okay but I wasn't. I didn't know what to feel because the person I love most just walked out of my life. And, it was my fault.

I went back to the condo that Tobin and I rented together and I fell to the floor and bursted into tears.

I yelled, I screamed. I was angry but I was sad. I knew that I was going to be miserable but I know that moving on was an option. But, I don't know how to move on without her.

I was sitting on the kitchen floor for hours until I picked up my phone and called Kelley.

"Alex! I've missed you." Kelley says into the phone. She sounded excited and happy but I let out a sigh.

"I need you here in Portland." I say, feeling more tears in my eyes.

"Why? What happened?" Kelley asks and I can hear the concern in her voice.

"Just come to Portland." I say before hanging up the phone.

I bursted into tears... Again.

*

It was almost eleven at night when I heard a knock on the door. I stayed where I was which was on the kitchen floor. Let me tell you, I've been sitting on the kitchen floor with bottles of beer for hours.

Finally the door opened and I hear Kelley's familiar voice.

"Alex, where are you?" She says. I hear her set her stuff down until she finally approaches me.

"Alex, what the hell?" She says as she squats down next to me. She moved the hair away from my face and helps me up.

She helps me over to the couch before cleaning up the bottles of beer that I left. I watched as she dumped the remaining beer into the sink and threw the bottles into the recycle.

Finally, she made her way over to me. She sat next to me and looked at me with concern in her eyes.

"I came as soon as you called, I'm sorry it wasn't sooner but I'm here now. Tell me what's wrong?" Kelley says.

I look at her and feel tears form in my eyes.

"I lost her." I finally say.

"Lost who? Who did you lose?" Kelley asks.

"Tobin. I messed up, Kelley." I say in between sobs.

"Shh, it's okay." Kelley says as she wraps me into a tight hug. "Now tell me what happened."

So, I told her everything and I broke down several times. I wasn't able to hold back the tears, they just kept coming.

"So she just went to Paris, just like that?" Kelley asks in disbelief.

I nod. "I hate myself, Kels. What the hell did I do?" I say as I bury my face into the crook of her neck. She rubbed my back and in some ways it calmed me down.

"We make mistakes, Alex. We're human, that's what we do. We aren't perfect and if we were then I guess we aren't human. I'll be honest with you, you made a bad decision but you will learn from them."

"You don't understand. I love that girl and its my fault that she's gone! And I need her!"

"Why do you need her?" Kelley asks.

"Because I've never loved someone so much before. She was the first one that I've ever truly loved and look what I did. I ruined us." I say, with tears rolling down my cheek.

Kelley lets out a sigh.

"I don't know what to tell you, Alex. I know she's your best friend but sometimes we need to let them go. Maybe this happened for a reason?"

"We were meant to be, Kelley. She loved me and I loved her just as much. Why would this happen for a reason?"

"Because maybe you were suppose to fall in love with someone else. Not Tobin."

"Who then? Who the hell loves me just as much as Tobin loves me? Servando? Because God even knows that I hated that guy." I say with anger.

Then it went quiet between the two of us. None of us said a word. I looked at Kelley and she looked up at me.

"I do." She says.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"You asked who the hell loves you other than Tobin. I do." Kelley explains.

I shook my head. I was confused. "You... You love me?" I ask.

"You called and I came here as soon as possible because I do love you." Kelley says.

"Since when?" I ask.

"I've liked you for a while now. It wasn't until now that I found out that I love you. And i don't want you to be alone because you don't deserve that."

I looked at Kelley but didn't say a word.

"I'll leave now because I probably made things worse." Kelley says.

She stands up and squeezes my shoulder before grabbing her luggage and walking towards the door.

Did she just confess her feelings towards me?

What if I love her to? Because for the couple years that I've known her, she was always there. When I needed someone she was there. When I needed a shoulder to cry on, she was there. And here she is now, trying to fix my heart that was shattered into a million pieces. How can you not love a girl like her who is constantly there for you? How can you not love a girl who flew all the way to Portland just because you needed someone to talk to and hug?

I stand up and run out of the door and see Kelley going into the elevator. I run inside the elevator before it closes and push her against the wall. I look her in the eyes and crash my lips against hers.

I pull away and Kelley looked at me with her eyes wide.

"Stay. Don't go because I need you." I whisper into her ear. "I need you a lot more than you think. You've always been there for me to put a smile on my face and I honestly need you more than I ever thought I would. And-"

Kelley laid a finger on my lips to stop me from talking. She smiled at me and moved the hair away from my face.

"No matter how big or small your problems are i will be here for you. Whatever it is, I'll be here. And I have this heart that's aching to see you smile. Because I will do anything to see you smile. I know you're still hurting because Tobin left. But I'm willing to try and make us something special if you're willing to." Kelley says with a small, nervous smile.

She looked adorable.

"I'm in."

Kelley smiles as I wrap her into a hug and rest my chin on the top of her head.

***

!!!???