Chapter Eight

Alex's POV

Should I tell her? I look at Kelley and a worried expression was spread across her face. What would her reaction be? Would she even care?

"It's about Tobin." I say, after taking a deep breath.

"I knew it!" Kelley jumps up with a grin on her face. "I knew you liked the girl! Looks like Mittsy is gonna have to pay the squirrel." Kelley says with a content smile.

"Wait what?"

"You see, Mittsy and I had a bet. She thought you didn't like Tobin in that way, but I totally knew you did!" Kelley says with a small laugh.

I shake my head no. "That's not what this is about. And I don't like Tobin in that way."

Kelley crosses her arms, looking defeated. "You sucked the life out of me, Alex. You got me all excited." Kelley says with a sigh before sitting next to me on my bed. "Anyways, what is it then?"

So I told her everything. I told her about shoving Tobin against lockers in school, I told her about how I tripped her on purpose. I told her how I made fun of her in many different ways and called her a variety of rude names.

When I was finished, Kelley looked at me with no expression on her face. She lost eye contact with me and didn't say anything.

"You did that?" Kelley whispers.

"Yeah, and I wish I never did. She's my best friend, Kelley. I have no idea what to do, I just wish I realized this sooner."

"She's my best friend too... Just... Don't tell her. Don't tell her anything. It'll suck but it's best not to mention this to her. She was broken already, what good would it do if we kept on breaking her?" Kelley says as she shrugs her shoulders.

"You're right but I hate keeping this from her."

"Alex... Just don't tell her. I trust you, you're a good person. I know that what you did back then was horrible but look at you now. You're a better person, you know better. You won't hurt her again."

I just nodded before laying back down in bed. I felt Kelley begin to sit up but I grabbed her arm before she moved.

"Can you sleep with me tonight?" I whisper to her.

"Of course." Kelley whispers back. The bed sinks on the opposite side of where I'm sleeping. Then, I shut the lights.

*

That morning, we had another day off before we start training again the next day. Just thinking about the Olympics was exciting. It was a dream come true.

I decided to hang out with Tobin today, and I remembered what Kelley and I had talked about the other night. I wasn't going to tell Tobin, no matter what.

I went down to her room and knocked on the door. I heard feet shuffling until Lauren opened the door.

"What's up, Alex?"Lauren  says as she lets me inside.

"Is Tobin here?" I ask.

"Right here." I hear Tobin say as she walks out of the bathroom. "What's up?" She says with a smile.

"Just thought we could hang out." I say with a small smile.

"Cheney-"

"Yeah, yeah. You two have fun." Lauren says with a laugh before kicking us out of the room and closing the door behind us.

*

Tobin's POV

Alex and I took a walk around the city. And like last time we went around the city, we caught a ferry and watched the sun set. Like always, it was a beautiful sight and I was very fortunate to see the sun set with one of the most beautiful girls.

"I won't ever get tired of this view." Alex says as she leans over the rails.

"Me too. It's perfect." I say with a smile.

It stayed silent between the two of us and I used that opportunity and studied Alex. It was so satisfying watching her hair gently blowing in the wind. She had eyes that were as blue as the sky. Her arms and legs were evenly toned. She was prettier than the sunset.

"I love your eyes, Alex." I say. She looks over at me and doesn't say anything until a small smile forms on her face.

"I like yours too." She says. She lays her hand on top of mine and smiles at me before looking back at the sunset. It was like electricity going through my body with that simple touch. I never felt this way with anyone before. She was special and I wanted her to be mine.

"How are you and Serv?" I ask.

"We're good. He's a good guy, Tobin."

"I'm sure he is. "

"Tobin, can I ask you something?" Alex asks. She turns to face me and I felt myself getting nervous. She made me nervous, but it wasn't bad. Not bad at all.

"Yeah. Anything." I say with a small smile.

"Do you love me? More than just a friend?" Alex finally asks.

I froze. It's like I couldn't move my body, words wouldn't come out of my mouth. I felt my legs get weak, and my hands start to shake. I love her, of course I do but I can't tell her that. It wouldn't do us any good, plus, I don't want to hurt her. She was beautiful, an amazing person. But I can't love her, even though I already do.

"No." I lie. And I easily regretted it.

"Okay..." Alex says as she looks away from me.

"Do you love me, not in a friend way?" I ask.

"No." Alex replies rather quickly.

Then who loves me?

***

We love you Tobin!