Chapter Forty Four

Kelley's POV

We drove back to Alex's beach house and the entire ride back was silent. I would take a few glances over at Alex who sat in the front passenger seat and she would just stare out the window.

I parked my car in the driveway and together we went inside. Alex went straight to her room but I only let out a sigh. She needed some time alone so I let her have that time.

After a few hours passed by, I decided to check on Alex. I knocked on her door but there was no answer. Slowly, I turned the knob and found her room empty which meant she was in the bathroom.

I walked to her bathroom and gently knocked on the door.

"Alex?" I say.

"Leave me alone, Kelley." I hear her say.

"Are you okay?" I ask ignoring her comment.

"Just leave me alone, Kelley!" Alex screams. I had to trust my instincts. I kick the door open and find Alex with a razor at her wrist.

There was already blood rolling down her arm and my eyes widen.

"Drop it, Alex. You don't have to do this." I say as I slowly walk over to her.

"Yes, I do!" Alex says.

"Just drop the razor, Alex. Now." I say, still making my way over to her.

"This won't ever end! I don't care what you or Jeri says this pain won't ever end!"

"It will! Alex, I promise it will! It just takes time! I promise it'll end soon."

"Why can't it end now?" Alex asks with the razor still on her wrist.

"Because. You're a strong girl and I know you can fight through this. So fight, Alex! Damn it! Fight through this!"

"I can't." Alex says, her voice down to a cold whisper.

"You can and you will." I say back.

"No!" Alex screams as she draws the razor over her wrist creating a nasty cut that had blood already forming.

"Stop!" I run over to her and grab the razor from her hand as Alex falls to her knees as she breaks down and cries.

"You can't keep doing this to yourself." I say, wrapping her into my arms.

"What am I supposed to do?" Alex asks as she moves herself closer to me.

"You have to fight, okay? Because you and me are going to get through this together. I know it hurts, I know how painful this is for you but you have to fight back. You need to accept the loss and pain and find happiness through the pain." I say as I gently stroke her hair.

"I don't even remember... what happiness feels like."

"Alex, look at me." I say. Alex looks me in the eyes with her piercing blue eyes.

"I promise you'll get through this. I'm trying to help fix your broken heart but you need to help yourself too."

"It's not worth it." She whispers as she closed her eyes.

"It is." I say as I pull her even closer to me. "Your life is worth fighting for."

"Why is this happening to me? What did I do wrong?" Alex asks as a tear rolls down her cheek.

"You did nothing wrong, Alex and I'll tell you that everyday if I have to. And everyday I'll tell you that I love you and that you are loved. You're so special, Alex. And I'm sorry that things haven't been in your favor lately but all I want is to see you smile and be happy. God, I miss you." I say with tears filling my own eyes.

"I'm sorry." Alex says in between sobs.

"You're going to be okay, alright? You're going to be fine." I say as I kiss the top of her head.

Then, I look down at her wrist and clean it up. I wipe the blood off and place a bandage over her wrist.

*

Later that night, I walked back into Alex's room and saw her sitting on her bed. She had tears in her eyes as she stared down at her wrist.

I let out a sigh as I sat next to her and grabbed her hand and squeeze it. I looked her in the eyes and wiped her tears with my thumb.

"You okay?" I ask.

"Just tired." Alex says with a sigh.

"Go get some rest, okay? I love you." I say as I kiss her forehead and start heading for the door.

"Kelley?" I hear Alex call me.

I turn around to face her. "Yes?"

"Sleep with me tonight." Alex says.

I let out another sigh as I closed the door and turned the light off. I climbed into bed and laid down next to her. I felt Alex cuddle into my side and I wrapped my arm around her.

"Thank you." Alex whispers.

"You don't have to thank me, Alex. I just want you to be happy. Especially now, all I want is to see you happy."

"I know... I'm really trying Kelley." Alex says and I heard her voice crack.

"I love you okay? And I'm not giving up on you so don't give up on yourself."

***

Okay if you thought that the dark and gloomy stuff is coming to an end... you're wrong.