Chapter Twelve

Alex's POV

I looked at Tobin and she stared back at me, waiting for a response from me. But I didn't know what to say back, everything was happening so quickly.

"So be mine Alex Morgan."

I let her words sink in but I had no idea how to respond to that.

"Tobin... I have Servando." I say looking back at her.

I swing my legs over the bed and grab my clothes and put them on before finally looking at Tobin again.

"I'm sorry, this was a mistake." Tobin says as she slips her shirt over her head without looking at me.

I walk over to her side of the bed and sit on the edge next to her.

"Tobin, look at me."

She finally looks at me and she seemed sad and defeated and it killed me.

"Don't get me wrong, I still like you a lot. It's just that I have Servando..."

"Do you absolutely want to be with me?" Tobin asks.

"Of course I do. I never liked girls this way before but when I'm with you. Everything changes, all I want to do is be with you. But Servando is stopping me."

"Is he stopping you? Or are you stopping yourself from being with me? Be honest with me here, please." Tobin says.

I let out a sigh. She had a point. I was stopping myself from being with a girl I absolutely love.

"Tobin, this isn't easy."

"I know it's not. But you can make a decision. Him or me. And I want you to pick me because you're my best friend and I love you."

"I know I said I wanted you, I know I said that you make me happier than Servando, but I've made a commitment to him. He wants to marry me."

"But do you want to marry him?"

"I don't know."

"Then what's the point? Just choose, him or me. Just tell me, I promise I won't be mad." Tobin says. Her voice was calm the entire time.

It made everything so much harder.

"Tobin, I don't want things to change between us. I love you and you are my best friend but I have to be with him."

"You don't have to be with him, Alex."

"Commitment. You'll know what that means when you're in a relationship that has lasted for years." I say. I grab her hand and squeeze it and she gives me a weak smile.

"I know what commitment is, Alex."

"Then you should understand why I'm not leaving Servando. He may not treat me like a princess but he's a good guy, Tobin."

She didn't say anything after that. She just looked away from me, she seemed embarrassed. I hated myself for letting all these words slip out of my mouth. But I made a decision and I had know idea if it was right or wrong. I had know idea if staying with Serv was the right thing to do, or if denying Tobin was the wrong thing to do.

Finally, Tobin stood up and looked at me. She gave me a weary smile and she was about to say something but nothing came out.

"I'm sorry, Tobin." I say as I stand up so we're face to face.

"You have nothing to be sorry about, Alex. This was a mistake, this would've never worked and I should have known. You're with Servando and you have a commitment and I respect that."

"You're still my best friend and I still need you." I say as I take a step closer to her. I wanted to kiss her right then and there. But something was stopping me.

"I'll be right here, I never said I was leaving. You'll still have me, Alex."

"Best friends, okay? We're best friends."

"That we are." Tobin says as she pulls me in for a tight hug. I didn't want to let go but she was the first to pull away.

"Well, I should head back to my room." I say as I check the time and realize that it was almost two in the morning.

"Okay, sleep well." Tobin says with a smile. She grabs my hand and squeezes it before I finally open the door to her room.

"Alex, wait." Tobin says. I look back at her and she smiles at me.

"Go be with Serv, but until he breaks your heart I'll be here. I'll wait for you as long as it takes because you're worth waiting for." Tobin says.

I just nod before finally closing the door to her room. I walk back to my room and collapse onto my bed and think about everything that happened.

Then it finally got to me. My future just slipped out of my hands.

Tobin Heath was my future.

***

:(