Chapter Five

Tobin's POV

We got off the bus and headed into the stadium, Alex followed closely behind.

It was the first match of the 2011 World Cup and we were going against Korea I knew that Korea was a pretty decent team. They knew how to create golden opportunities for them to score, but I believe that we knew how to prevent those opportunities from turning into a goal.

As a team we walked into the locker room and as we walked there, I saw Alex hug her boyfriend, Servando before catching up with me. I hated seeing them together but I never said anything about it.

I sat at my spot in the locker room and we all changed into our World Cup uniforms. Abby started playing music that all the girls started to dance too, everyone but Alex. I watched as she wiped her eyes and ran towards the bathrooms.

When no one was looking, I ran after her and found her staring at her reflection in the mirror. She was holding her number thirteen jersey in her hands and her legs were shaking, she was nervous.

"Hey, are you okay?" I ask as I walk up to her. She wiped her eyes with the back of hand and looked at me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just nervous, really nervous." She said in that raspy voice of hers.

"We were all nervous when we got our first caps, but you'll be fine I promise. Just play like how you did in practice. Be yourself out there, no one is going to judge you if you make a mistake."

"I know... It's just that, there's going to be so many people in the stands, there's so much more on the line and I'm not sure if I should even be starting. Pia shouldn't have made me start, I don't want to be the reason why we lose." Alex says with tears rolling down her cheeks.

I take a step towards her and wipe her tears with my thumb. "No, don't say that Alex. She has you starting because she knows that you'll help us win. You're a rising star, be honored to play for your country."

Alex smiled at me and released a sigh. She nodded her head a couple times as she looked down at the jersey in her hands.

I grabbed the jersey from her hand. "Where this with so much pride because not many people get the chance to wear this jersey." I say. She takes off the Nike shirt she was wearing, revealing her toned abs. I looked away, not wanting her to catch me staring.

I slip the jersey over her head and she straightens it out.

"Why thirteen?" I ask.

"I grew up loving this number, Kristine Lilly wore that number and she was my role model." She says with a smile.

"Looks good on you." I smile back at her. I pull her in for a tight hug before finally releasing her.

"Thanks Tobin."

I just smile at her before we head back to the locker room where the rest of the team was. We were ready, and we finally all lined up in number order and went out onto the field.

*

Before you know it, the refs blew their whistles signaling the start of the game. Abby passed the ball too Carli who danced around with it before passing it to Cheney. She dribbled the ball up the field and passed it to Abby but was blocked by one of Korea's players.

By the end of the half, both teams were scoreless. With our heads down, we walked into the locker room. Pia talked to us about plays and formations before leaving it to Abby to get us fired up.

Then, we walked back onto the field I saw Alex with her head down.

I jogged up to her and she looked at me. "Head up, okay? You're doing great." I say. I pat her on the back before running off to my position. The refs blew their whistle to signal the start of the half and Carli had the ball. She crossed the ball and Abby jumped up for the header. The ball went past the goalie.

Goal. USA. I ran over to Abby with the rest of the team and smiles filled all of our faces but we still had work to do, we haven't won yet.

I had the ball and dribbled up the field, nutmegging defenders along the way. I looked up and saw Alex in the box and I quickly, passed the ball a little bit in front of her and she ran after it. She kicked the ball and it was way out of goalie reach as the ball hit the back post.

I watched her throw her hands up in the air and a smile had formed on my face. I ran over to her and she had pulled me in for a hug.

"You did it Alex!" I say as teammates jumped on top of us and latched on to the group hug.

Alex smiled at me and the game went on, this time with more intensity. Alex played more aggressively, she was getting more comfortable.

And finally, with only a minute left in extra time. Hope cleared the ball and the refs blew their whistles. We had a shutout.

Alex ran over to me, wrapping me into a hug.

"I'm so proud of you!" I say to her.

"What on earth would I do without you?" Alex says as she kisses me on the cheek and wraps me into one last hug before we went back into the locker room.

*

On the bus ride back to the hotel, Alex grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I looked over at her and smiled.

"Thank you for believing in me when no one else did." She whispers.

"There was never a doubt in my mind that you weren't going to do amazing. I'm always going to believe in you. No matter what."

Alex leaned her head against my shoulder and I wrapped an arm around her. I kissed the top of her head before closing my eyes.

"I love you Tobin." Alex says. It was at that moment that I wanted her to be mine. I wanted to win Alex Morgan's heart.