Chapter Two

Alex's POV

It was my first day of training here in New York and I was nervous. I've met everyone on the team and they were all super nice but for some reason I felt like I didn't belong here. For some reason I felt like I shouldn't be a part of the National Team. Nothing felt right, I should be excited, I should be happy and honored to be here. But I wanted to go back to Diamond Bar to be with my mom and play in the soccer field behind my house

I changed into the training gear before walking out to the practice field. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining and no clouds filled the sky. But it didn't feel like a good day.

The 2011 World Cup were just a couple months away and I didn't know if I was ready to play at this level. I didn't know if I even deserved to put on a U.S. Jersey over my head and place my hand over the crest.

The team gathered around Pia and she talked about the drills that we were doing today and the small scrimmage we were doing towards the end. If anything, that made me feel worse inside.

I watched as all the girls paired up and started passing the ball to each other, I was the only one who didn't have someone. I already hated being the baby on the team, I don't see how anyone can enjoy it.

For once in my life I've never felt more alone until now.

"Alex, want to pair up?" I hear Tobin's familiar voice say. I turn around and she had a ball in her hand. She looked at me with a smile and I nodded my head and followed her to an empty spot.

"Why the long face?" Tobin asks as she kicks the ball towards me and I trap it with my foot before passing it back to her.

"I don't think I belong here..."

Tobin traps the ball under her foot before looking at me with a serious expression on her face.

"You're kidding right?" She asks and I slowly shake my head no.

"You do belong here Alex, it may not seem like it now but you truly do belong here. I haven't seen you play but you're here because you're a talented player. You have skills, you score goals. Pia didn't call you up because she needed another player to fill her roster, she called you up because you're talented and she thinks you can bring something to the table. She believes you can help us win the World Cup for the first time in years."

"There's better players out there, so why me? I probably won't even get a start or a chance to play because I'm the baby on the team. Everyone on this team is better than me, I can't beat that." I say to Tobin.

"Pia believes in you I know she does and I believe in you too. I know you'll bring a lot to this team and with time, you'll become the face of women's soccer. You'll be a star but that takes time. We were all new to the team at one point, we've been where you are now. You just have to show everyone what you're capable of. You have to show everyone that you don't mess around."

I look at Tobin and let her comforting and motivating words sink in. She was right, perhaps I do belong here. I smile over at her before she kicks the ball towards me again.

"Thanks Tobin. That means a lot."

"If there's anything I can do, let me know." Tobin says as we all line up to officially start training.

*

Finally, it was time for the scrimmage and I felt a pit in my stomach. Pia told us we were all going to play. She wanted to see how we all play, she wanted to see how I played.

She divided us into two teams and I was so thankful that Tobin was on my team. I felt myself begin to calm down when Tobin patted my back and smiled at me. We slipped on the blue practice jerseys and Pia put me in as one of the starting eleven. It was only a scrimmage and I literally felt sick to my stomach.

"You'll be fine. Just play like no one is watching." Tobin says before running off to her position.

Pia blew the whistle signaling to start. The girl they call HAO kicked the ball straight to me and I started dribbling the ball to the other side of the field. I looked up and saw Christie Rampone try slide tackling me but I jumped over her.

Then, I continued dribbling the ball before Heather Mitts kicked the ball away from me. I looked over at Pia and she nodded her head in approval. I focused back on the game before the other team scored.

"You had a good run earlier, just keep your head up." Tobin says with another smile.

HAO kicked the ball over to Tobin who sprinted up the field and I sprinted too until I had no defenders on me. Tobin crossed the ball to my direction and I jumped up for the header. I fell to the ground and watched the ball go past Hope Solo.

A smile formed on my face as Tobin walked over to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

"Nice header."

"Nice cross."

She smiled at me again and ran back to her position. I began to notice that Tobin smiles a lot, I've never met someone who smiled that much.

The scrimmage went on and Tobin and I were unstoppable. After I scored three more goals, Tobin with the assists Pia blew her whistle signaling the end. We all huddled around her and Pia smiled at me.

"Looks like you called up a good one, I'm beat." Christie says as she nudges me with a smile.

"I'd have to say the same thing, Cap." Heather Mitts says with both her hands on her waist.

"Alex, you and Tobin work really well together." Abby Wambach says with a smile.

Pia let out a small laugh before looking towards me. "Alex Morgan, welcome to the National Team." She says. Then everyone started clapping and patting me on the back. They were cheering for me.

"I told you you belong here." I hear Tobin whisper in my ear.

***

I'm excited about this story! I hope you're liking it!