Chapter Three

Alex's POV

Towards the end of the first week of training, Pia gave us a day off and I've never been more happy to have a day off. Training was different with the National Team. It was harder, it pushed you passed your limits, but it made you tougher. It made us a better team and that's what mattered.

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes as I sat up in bed. I looked over at the clock and realized that it was nine in the morning. It was the first time I've slept in this entire week and it was relieving.

I looked over at the bed next to me and I saw that Tobin wasn't there. I let out a sigh before crawling out of bed and heading into the shower. I got dressed into a new set of clothes before I went to the dining hall.

Only a few people were here, everyone else was probably sleeping or out for breakfast. I saw Tobin sitting with Kelley and HAO. I sat in the empty spot next to Tobin and everyone smiled at me.

"What's up baby horse?" Kelley says with a large smile on her face.

"Baby horse?"

"Yeah, it's your nickname." HAO says.

"But why baby horse? It doesn't fit me."

"Oh it definitely fits you." I hear someone say and I see Abby sit down next to HAO. "You're the baby on the team and you have these huge strides like a horse."

"Which is why you're able to pass defenders like Kelley." HAO says as she pats her on the back. Kelley rolls her eyes and I let out a small laugh.

"I don't really like that nickname." I say as I cross my arms.

"I love it." Kelley says with a laugh.

"Alex, it would've just been horse if HAO didn't think to add baby in front of it. It's a good nickname, it's perfect for you." Kelley says with a content smile as she leans back in her chair.

Once everyone was done with breakfast, it was just Tobin and I.

"So, baby horse. What is it that you want to do today?" Tobin asks.

"Don't call me that." I say.

Tobin lets out a small laugh before looking back at me. "I know I was just messing with you. So, Alex. What do you want to do today?"

"I don't know, I mean I've never been to New York so I don't know what's here."

"We'll go for a tour of the city then! Afterwards, we'll catch a ferry. Sound good?" Tobin asks as we walk outside of the hotel.

We did just that. She showed me all the different parks and important buildings in the city. We stopped for lunch at a restaurant and she had offered to pay for it which I was a little upset about, but I didn't let that get in the way. I was having a good time.

We walked around Central Park and we got to know each other so much more. She was truly the best roommate anyone could ever ask for.

As the sun started to go down, we took a taxi and went to this place called Sightseeing Cruises and we were able to take a ferry.

It had to be one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. The buildings all lit up and it was just so peaceful.

Tobin looked at me and smiled. "So, how do you like it?" She asks me.

"I love it, thank you for this." I say as I throw my arms around her and wrap her into a tight hug before pulling away.

Tobin just smiled back at me as we stared out at the city lights.

"That's New Jersey." Tobin points out and I look over at where she was pointing.

"Do you like not being that far from home?" I ask.

She shrugs her shoulders. "It's fine I guess."

"Why don't you like it there?" I ask.

"Just a lot of bad things happened and I really don't want to talk about it." Tobin says.

"Well, if you ever want to talk about anything you know I'm here." I say.

"I'm here too."

"Seriously Tobin, thanks for everything. You've helped me be a part of this team, you've helped me feel welcome here and you've been such a great teammate."

"What did I say? You belong here Alex Morgan. You truly do belong here."