Nineteen

There are several good reasons to show up to a wedding early and the best of those is that I got pulled into the massive space they'd declared the dressing room and got to see Kristie. "You look ethereal." She did, there were no other words. "Perfect. You're a princess."

"Princess is as much as I can hope for with you in the room" she teased. Her eyes were already damp and I don't care how waterproof that eye make-up was, there was no way she'd make it TO the ceremony, much less through. "He really didn't come?"

"No, and I don't want to talk about it. Can we focus on, oh I don't know... YOU?!?!"

"And Jeremy."

"Oh please girl, no one here is fooled. This is your day." There were about eight other women in the room, most of whom I knew and although they'd been pretending to give us some privacy, they all laughed. "Okay ladies, I'll leave you to it. K, if you need anything at all you know I'm available." I gave her a quick hug without touching almost any part of her and went back outside to get some fresh air.

The church was set on a gorgeous piece of property that may as well have been a park but the church was old and not air conditioned so I didn't want to go in until I needed to. Suits are hot. Besides, if I stayed out here I could find a group of friends to latch onto and sit with. I didn't have long to wait, apparently 1:35 was the 'proper' time to arrive because about 100 people showed up all at once.

I met up with Jeremiah and his gang and went in with them, then stopped so suddenly that someone literally ran into me. "I'm so sorry." I stepped out of the main aisle towards the sanctuary because he was here for some reason and seemed to be alone.

"Hey."

"Hi Chris. Long time no see" he joked. "Almost ten years and then twice in a week?"

He looked amazing. Amazing. And if I were the type to believe in signs, his shirt would have been one. Oh wait, I was 1000% the type. "You look great." He'd shaven his scruff though, shame. Polite, but a shame. The joy and pain of hair, it would grow back.

 The joy and pain of hair, it would grow back

"You too. Love your tie."

Esther came up beside me, putting her arm on mine. "You must be Greg! It's so nice to meet you."

Shit, awkward. Shit. But we matched, it was an easy mistake. "Um, no this is Nick. Nick, one of my bosses, Esther. She's my 'everything' girl and keeps me heading in the right direction."

He did an adorable small, mock bow and was a perfect gentleman. "Nice to meet you Esther."

I couldn't blame her for mumbling that she needed to find her seat. I felt like shit for both of them. "Sorry about that."

He just gave a good-natured shrug. "Not a problem. Unless he's a serial killer or something? Should I be offended?"

"No, I think your reputation is safe. But, and I know this is rude, what are you doing here?" I didn't know how I'd managed to not ask yet. He and Kristie hadn't kept in touch as far as I knew.

"Well you know how I know Kristie but I've known Jeremy a long time; we went to college together. We were roommates afterwards for a few years. You and Kristie stayed in touch I assume?"

"Yeah, she's my number one hag. Kristie's practically my sister at this point. Waiting for someone?" He'd been looking out the window when I came over.

"No, just enjoying the view. I really don't mind being single and casually dating but I miss having someone to drag to these sorts of things."

He had no idea how much I empathized with his statement. "Ditto Nick. Of course that means you don't get dragged to theirs either. Want to sit with me, um, us?"

"Good point. Absolutely."

*** *** ***

The ceremony went perfectly. The flower girls were adorable and actually managed to throw petals, the minister didn't forget lines or fall over drunk and somehow, more amazing than anything, Kristie didn't look like a raccoon by the time they'd finished. They walked out of the sanctuary to go and get pictures and we guests were to head to the reception hall for happy hour. It was textbook and I was so happy for her after all the worrying and stress she'd gone through the past few months.

"Want to take a walk while the parking lot clears out?" Nick offered.

Fresh air sounded great and he was right, it was a madhouse out on the pavement. "Sure."

"So, I know this is awkward and you'd think after eight years I'd have this worked out but I'm really sorry Chris. For how I handled things... back then."

"We were young."

"I was stupid. And mean. And yeah, confused and young but that doesn't change the fact that I'm sorry and owe you an apology. It was really nice of you to not throw your drink at me the other night."

"And waste a good tonic? Never."

"You're still really funny. You know, I thought about you a lot over the years and I'm glad you're doing well. You seem happy."

"Do I?" I was doing a damn good job of it. But maybe TMI. "Sorry, nothing. Normal stuff. I'm good. And really, I forgave you a long time ago Nicky."

He hesitated, looking at me out of the corner of his eye. "So, can I ask who Greg is?"

"That's a conversation that should wait until drinks. I'm going to head over."