Chapter Twenty Two: I promise

Sky's POV

I sometimes wonder what my life will lead too. I sometimes wonder if I'll head home after school and find Luke dead. I wish I didn't think like that. I really do but I have. Its been these crazy thoughts in my head for some weeks now. Its been bad ever since mum...died.

I didn't get to know mum and be with her for long. I had so little time with her and even though Luke got to experience it all for longer then me he only had known her for just under four years.

It hurt me so much but I know it hurt him even more. I had been so scared of Luke of not liking me the first time we met. I really feared that he would hate me. I asked Rani about it and she told me he could of felt jealous of me, envy that I had taken his place, his bedroom but yet she explained that Luke wasn't like that. He would never be like that even if at first it might of crossed his mind. Luke and I might be different in a number of ways but we also have the same problem of being different and fitting in.

Clyde and Rani have told me over and over again that Luke came quite dramatically over protective of me which is a normal natural thing for an older brother to do. I know Luke partly blamed himself for mums death. He should of been around, he shouldn't of left us unprotected. I know he had a hard struggle with that and that's why he had to face the Nightmare man again.

Luke is all I really have. Apart from Rani and Clyde he is all I have left. He is my brother, blood related doesn't matter to me and I know it doesn't to Luke either. Maybe its because of how we were born or created but we are family.

Its why I worry so much about him. How even now as I am meant to be enjoying myself on this camping trip I am sitting in my tent worrying about Luke. What is happening right now? Will he be okey?

Mum had been so strong and even this crazy, dangerous life finally got her killed. What's stopping Luke being next? What's stopping someone taking him away from me too? Then what do I have left? I will have nothing and I don't know what my future holds. I need Luke. I need him around to help me figure it all out. Luke deserves a better and happy life too, our future.

I want to talk to Luke about it but I haven't found the right words. Its hard to understand it all myself. I still don't know a lot of things and I don't have the memory like Luke does to remember things just like that.

Only a few months ago I was a baby. Then I found a new better mum,  Sarah Jane Smith. Then I lost her just like that but I have Luke. Luke will always protect me like mum did. I just know I need to protect him too.

What will Luke's and my future hold? What is waiting just around the corner? I wish I knew...

"Sky come on your going to miss the raft building exercise! I so want to see Clyde and Rani's face when they are beat by twelve year olds!" laughs my friend Mark.

"Oh Clyde would never live it down," I laugh at the thought.

"Come on Sky! You know we can do it," Mark grins from ear to ear with his goofy smile but a smile I had come to find quite comforting these last few weeks. I had found it hard to make friends. Luke and I are so a like its also quite scary.

I remember when Luke said I'm so his sister. I agree! I am. He is my brother. I will never ever get over how calming it is to know that.

Yet it had all come quite natural with Mark. He wasn't like all the other guys in my class. He really took an interest to speak to me, to get to know me. He didn't care about my fascination to everything, almost like a new born child discovering everything new for the first time. Mark just doesn't know that is exactly what I had been.