Chapter Forty Three: Luke is dying

Paul's POV

I can't leave Luke for one bloody night. One bloody night and that boy finds trouble like its his middle name. Do I need to follow him around like a lost puppy to keep him safe? This is not what I had in mind when the Doctor asked me. He told me Luke is the leader but what leader gets himself caught up in all the trouble leaving half his team behind...hold on that does sound like the usual typical leaders to me. Always finding trouble and always thinking they can handle it themselves but then again Luke isn't the type to face it alone or less he doesn't have much of a choice.

I've learned quite a lot about him in the short time I have known him. Once Luke is once again home and safe I will make sure to get to know him a bit better because I haven't had the real chance yet.

"What are you doing!" Sky demands.

"I am trying to pick up on any life forms under the rubble," I inform Sky.

"I am certain Luke isn't in there," Sky begins.

"I know you are correct. No life forms but I had to check. If Luke's not here...something must of happened to him and I don't know how I feel about that. I mean its better then him being dead but...who has taken him now and for what reason? What was all this about?"

Sky shrugs her shoulders, "All I know is my boyfriend is confused, Kevin is part heart broken Luke is gone again and I'm just I don't know!" she shouts.

"Sky I know this is hard and I know I said that before and  I know I keep going on and probably everyone else does too but you know Luke as well as I. He will hold out for as long as he can and we will find him and save him like you or now we have always done," I tell her firmly.

She nods her head, "Next time he tries to get my boyfriend to drag me away I'm going nowhere. He might be older but sure is an idiot sometimes and I really can't watch him die," she tells me.

"I get that Sky. I wish I had been keeping an eye on things. It seems either everyone seems to be out to get Luke or he attracts trouble like a magnet and either way that means he needs to be kept an eye on no matter how much Luke will hate that. The Doctor will kill me if he shows up some day soon and finds out Luke is dead and I didn't protect him," I whisper.

"Some protector," a voice rips through the night air behind Sky and I. I turn to face Sanjay, Jay, Daniel, Clyde and Rani.

"He went for a meal with Sky, his dad and Sky's boyfriend. How was I to know he needed protecting. The Doctor asks me to look out for him. I know that but I'm not the only person apart of this team. Instead of arguing or blaming someone again. We need to figure out where Luke is and what is happening," I tell Sanjay firmly. Sometimes I will never ever get humans, not when they are emotional like this. I wish the Doctor had given me a fair warning.

My phone goes off in my pocket but I ignore it. "As much as I'm upset too. Paul is right," Sky says slowly.

"We did what you asked. Mr Smith confirms three aliens had been present apart from the Rims which are the two bear aliens you had mentioned," says Jay.

"The other two?" I ask.

"Believe it or not. Two Sontaran's and...," Jay trails off.

"Bane and more importantly Mr Smith was nearly a hundred percent positive it was Mrs Wormwood," Sanjay finishes.

"No way," says Sky.

"She managed to escape from the Judoon? That bane women must have some sort of gift if nothing else. If its her goodness knows what her plan is," I say.